'94 Toyota Pickup...Starts and quickly dies

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new here, had a thread going in another section, but this is only my 2nd thread creation. I am excited about all of the information here and the collective knowledge among the members. As you can tell by my "name", I will be looking for more answers than I will be providing, but perhaps over time I will be able to offer some info to others as well.

I have a 1994 Toyota Pickup, 4cyl, 5spd, all stock in terms of motor, drivetrain, etc. It has over 200k miles. My problem is that it will start up, but then quickly dies(runs for maybe 5 seconds). I looked at some things online and tried a few things, but to no avail. I will attempt to explain what I have done so far, but please excuse the terminology that I am sure to mess up.

1. Turn key and listen for fuel pump. -- I didn't here it so I did the jumper deal under the hood, and the fuel pump comes on. Start it, it dies
2. Check the intake for cracks or holes -- Didn't see anything obvious
3. Check air filter, try both with and without -- still dies.
4. Removed the Mass Air Flow(?) and check the continuity under various degrees of having the "flap" open and closed across numerous different contacts. Everything was with in a spec sheet that I found online, can't seem to find it again.
5. The only other thing that I read about that I did not try was checking vacuum lines because there are some(at least one) that is unhooked and has a bolt closing it off. It was that way when I bought the truck and it ran, so I never messed with it. I can't think of anything that changed from when the truck ran to when it stopped running. Also, I have no idea what vacuum lines are supposed to do what.

Also, just to be clear, this is a "farm truck" and doesn't go over 25 miles an hour(ag tires) and was only being run every few weeks. It is my winter, driveway truck(as in it is one of the only vehicles that will make it up and down(with chains) when there is snow on the driveway) and I need to get it back in working order. Luckily, I haven't really needed it yet this winter, but I figure the time will come. And, it has been sitting for about 8 months now and if it sits much longer I am sure I will start having other issues pop up.

Please help if you have any insight. Pictures and layman's explanations are welcomed and encouraged. I might have some time this weekend to mess with it, so anything you can provide will help. Thanks.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
One thing to check might be to unhook the fuel line from the cold-start injector (brass line connection on the side of the intake manifold), put it in a cup to contain the fuel and then try to start it. There should be a steady stream of fuel coming from it.

You could try replacing the fuel filter. They don't usually clog completely but if it's original, it's possible that it's impeding flow too much. I think in that year, the filter was along the passenger side frame rail under the cab.

v_man

Explorer
^^^ this is good input to make sure you are getting steady fuel delivery , but be careful there is a small copper crush washer that needs to seat properly when you tighten the fuel line back to the plenum...also watch your eyes as the fuel will come squirting out at high velocity ...

My other thought is did you check for stored codes ? There might be codes to check even if you don't have a CEL

edit^^^ didn't see the 'put it in a cup' suggestion , that's a good idea:sombrero:

Clay

Adventurer
Another very common problem with these motors is the throttle position sensor or TPS. They can get funky in a few ways, so I would take a look at that. 4crawler has a good writeup on how to check it available on his site.

Just to throw it out there, Roger Brown (4crawler) is tech guy for Toyota Trails magazine. If you email him with questions he is pretty good about getting back to you quick.

Also, here is a link to the factory service manual.

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/93-pick-up-factory-service-manual-online-version-276322/

Good luck. Let us know what happens!

Last edited:
tanglefoot and vman, I will start on the fuel delivery side of things with a filter and checking the flow of fuel. I was assuming that since it started it was getting fuel, but for the cost of a fuel filter and the little bit of time to unhook a line and see fuel coming out(or not), it is worth a try.

vman, I am not sure about any codes and I don't have a way to check them as I don't own a device myself and the vehicle is not street legal to get to a parts store. If I can't figure it out on my own soon, I will load it up on the trailer and take it somewhere, but I really don't want to do that. On a side note, I stopped by one of the national chain stores to see about an abs and traction control light on the dash of my freestyle the other day, and they said they can not read any codes unless the check engine light is on. Is that true? Seems a bit odd to me.

Clay, in taking a look at 4crawler's site, I realized that is the site I used before to do what I now know is called the "static tests on the Air Flow Meter". I will bookmark his site and look at the TPS information as well. And I am sure the service manual will come in handy as well.

As I said, I hope to get to this sometime this weekend and I will let you know what I figure out. If anything else comes to mind, feel free to let me know!

Thanks Again!

Well, didn't get a chance the last two weekends to take a look at this. The weekend before last, some buddies thought it would be a good idea to drive into the snow storms to go skiing/snowboarding at Snowshoe, WV. What is normally a 5 hour drive turned into a 17 hour trip on Friday. This past weekend was a bday party in Michigan. Thought this next weekend coming up would be the next chance, put we are having issues with the water pump in our house and some abs and traction control issues on the freestyle(daily driver), so that will take priority this coming weekend.

I did pick up a fuel filter and if I ever find the time, will start with checking the flow of fuel, replacing the filter, and checking flow again to see if the difference is noticeable. From there, check codes and then look into the TPS suggestions. Hopefully it won't go that far, but I will check back in whenever I get to it to let everyone know what ended up being the solution(assuming I find one).

So I finally got the toyota in drug into the garage, about 3 weeks after I had planned to. Anyway, first order of business was to unhook the fuel line from the side of the intake/plenum(not sure what it is actually called?). As soon as it cracked loose fuel began to spray out, which someone here had warned of..thank you. Here's my question though, at what point does it stop? I stuffed some rags around the area to try to sop up most of the gas, and I eventually gave up and tightened it back down. The fuel pump isn't running, so it should just be the pressure in the line, right? Also, if there as that much fuel and pressure, I am inclined to think the problem is somewhere else. I bought a fuel filter, but after seeing where the filter is located, and based on the previously mentioned fuel pressure, I think I will hold off on it for now. Checking the codes seems to be the next easiest task, so I might go to that next. Any other thoughts?

Ok, if I am reading the codes correctly, I am getting two separate codes: 24 and 31. The engine light flashes twice(less then a sec. in between) and then there is a brief, maybe 2 sec. pause before the light flashes 4 more times (again, with less than a sec. in between each flash). After that, there is about a 4 sec. pause. The engine light then flashes 3 times, a short 2 sec. pause, and then flashes 1 more time. After that, the whole cycle I just explained repeats. Here are the explanations for the codes:

What am I looking for next? Any advice/insight is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• Code 24 - Toyota.jpg
    Code 24 - Toyota.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Code 31 - Toyota.jpg
    Code 31 - Toyota.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 5
it's a 22re?

It is.

I ordered a refurbished vafm and am hoping that is the problem. I tested it based on some info I had found on the 4crawler website, and it seemed ok, but after doing some more reading online decided it was worth a shot to replace it. I hope it is the culprit or I might be a little bitter about the wasted $177. We'll see.

dubk_trd

Observer
check fuel injector wiring harness, pull the tape off toyota crimp this area of wiring over time it gets corroded and breaks . this happend on my 22re hope this might help

Am I missing something?

Alright, old thread, back to life. I wish I weren't rekindling it because that would mean my truck was running.

Background...1994 Toyota 22re 4x4. It is just a woods beater/firewood truck. It ran, albeit with a little hesitation, but always started and did what it needed to do. Came out one day (after sitting for maybe 2 weeks, which was pretty normal) and it would fire, run for a few seconds and die. If I tried to give it gas, it would die. If I let it idle on its own, it would die. I have made attempts to figure this out, but I am running out of ideas.

It will run on starting fluid. I can spray it into the plenum and it will fire and run until the fluid burns off.

I am learning a lot, but there is still a lot I don't know and I have tried as much as I can from reading online. I am still a little fuzzy on the electronics of it all, but do have a multi-meter and have used it more than ever on this adventure. Here is what I have done.

1. Check codes - mentioned in earlier post
2. Looked for any obvious cracks or holes in plastic intake tube and vacuum lines - found none
3. Tried with and without the air filter
4. Tested Air Meter (VAFM) - checked out, but thought maybe I was testing it wrong so ultimately bought one and replaced it
5. Replaced fuel filter
6. Checked fuel at the Cold Start Injector and at the fuel rail. No actual pressure test, but sure sprays good when I crack the bolts loose
7. Tested the Throttle Body Sensor - seems ok (assuming I tested it correctly)
8. Checked the Open Circuit relay (passenger side in cab) and it seems to be operating correctly
9. Did the diagnostic jumper for the fuel pump to confirm it was running...it is
10. Cut the covering off the wiring harness looking for the factory splices for the injectors, and they look clean(not corroded)
11. Added some water remover to the fuel and added some new fresh fuel in case the gas was "bad"

I am sure there are some things I have tried that I am forgetting. I have a friend who keeps saying, "it has to be something simple" and he's probably right.

What am I missing? I need air, spark and fuel, right? Any help would be appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle