95 12V SC vs 07 MC hemi

ToiletBrush

First off new to the forum and thanks for allowing me to join, have spent lots of time reading great info here and since I'm downrange for 7 more months it seamed like a great time to join up and get advice before I spend money on a project that wont work. I came from the 2wd desert mid/long travel trucks till I left California and moved to NC for the military. Sold my 2wd hemi and got a 4wd ecodiesel that turned out to be a $46k mistake due to the motor blowing and dealer refusing to honor a 100k warranty at 55k miles. Thats a long story and Id rather not get into that unless yall want to know lol. Needless to say that led me to find a clean 95 12v manual for $4k. Had a bad ppump due to a local diesel shop leaving the timing pin in. Made me happy cause a 4k 12v is hard to find clean and cheap lol. However the motor needs a rebuild so I bought the 07 megacab hemi for 10k. Needed something to drive reliably while i rebuild the 12v.
Would like to get input on what you would choose and why. Im trying to figure out if I want to build my 07 2500 MC hemi or 95 12v cummins as my weekend camping/ offroading and boat towing vehicle. The 12v as i know it has the capability of 2680lbs in the bed till it maxes the gawr vs the 2090 in the MC. However the girl hates the noise and smell of the old diesel and cant drive a manual no matter how many times ive tried to teach her, she freaks out like a cat in water and its just a waste of my time. She loves the nice quite megacab and can drive it since its an automatic. Another plus to building the MC is I would be more pissed if i dented the ol 12v well before the megacab lol. Whatever truck i do build will get DOR long arm front 3" lift and deaver leafs for the rear with remote reservoirs, 37s on method trail rims and the FWC for the camping (so i can pop it off and offroad without the higher COG). I wont put basic bolt in crap on any truck i build. The only thing I did to my ecodiesel was AT3 tires and king struts in the front and king shocks in the rear. Anyways, if you had those 2 trucks what would you build and why?

ToiletBrush

Lol yes however if there's reasons of why I should go 12v over her liking an interior im not considering id like to know before I build up a megacab. At the end of the day id rather build what makes sense over here liking "newer" stuff. Im more concerned with a hemi running 37s with 4.56 and running close to the GCWR is going to be. Thats where Id prefer the 12v over a hemi.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
The Hemi will have cam issues eventually. Heads have to come off to pull lifters. Actually it's the lifters that fail and take out the cam. I ran 35's on my 2500 Hemi QCLB with diesel 3500 front coils, extended short arms, and bilstein remote resis. Rode much better than stock. mega probably isn't as bad as it has more weight rearward.

If you don't care what the GF wants build what you like. Let her drive the mega and build the 12v. Unless you're selling one to fund the build of the other...

ToiletBrush

Definitely keeping the 12V. Try to figure out if i want to keep the MC or sell and buy a CQ. I have the funding to keep both. My biggest issue is if I build the MC and then it cant hold up to the stress. I guess if that becomes an issue i can always sell it to some kid that wants to throw 24s and stretch the tires lol.

phsycle

Adventurer
However the girl hates the noise and smell of the old diesel and cant drive a manual no matter how many times ive tried to teach her, she freaks out like a cat in water and its just a waste of my time. She loves the nice quite megacab and can drive it since its an automatic.

Mega cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior