95 Montero LS w/ manual trans - Purchasing Advice

shermanhelmsley

Hey everyone, I've been digging through this site and 4x4wire for a few months now, and have finally decided to try to pick myself up an 2nd Gen Montero...possibly as soon as this weekend. Before doing so I could use some advice from the guru's.

Here's the rundown:

I've found a 95 LS - manual trans. with 177k on the clock for $1500. The owner (3rd) has nearly all receipts since its purchase...timing belt was done at 120k and at 172k along with the water pump and pulley. There's one minor leak I believe where the drive shaft meets with the transfer case, but no others at all. The underside has no rust at all, and there is one small surface patch above the rear door (it's a Cali car)...nearly impossible to find on the east coast. The 4wd shifts with no problems, the cloth interior is in great shape, no corrosion on the fuel or brake lines, and the suspension is in order. It's had the ball joints, tie rods and CV boots recently replaced, along with the rear brakes, and the header/cat/exhaust from head to toe is solid. The exterior does show its age with the normal dings and scratches, but thats to be expected.

The truck hails originally from California and has lived in the Northeast for the past 2 years. I had a mechanic look it over and give it a full inspection and test drive, and the only problem found is that it needs a new clutch, which the owner claims to not have been aware of. Its beginning to slip in 3rd and 4th gear. Lastly, it'll need a new set of tires and is missing the jump seats.

My mechanic will do the clutch job for $800, and fix the oil leak. I also found a pair of leather jump seats for $100.

I'd like to know if this sounds at all like a solid find, worthy of putting $800 + into from the door? The fact that its rust free and has had the required maintenance done very recently are both strong buying factors.

As much as I'd like to hold out for an SR or a 2.5 gen with winter package, I am in need of a vehicle with the winter coming and the few Monty's I've looked at this summer have all been rotted out underneath. I've also been hard pressed to find many within the driving range I'd be willing to travel (3-400 mi.)

There's someone coming to look at the truck this Sunday, but I have first dibs if I decide before then to pick it up.

I'm open to any and all advice...Thanks all for your time

Last edited:

nckwltn

Explorer
LS doesn't have a locker.. if you plan on doing any off roading, hold out for something with the locker. You're likely going to be able to get something with a locker for a similar price. Expand your search, fly out and drive back

fleavernator

If you are hard set on a manual, sounds like this one is a keeper. If you really think you need a locker, swap one in later...

shermanhelmsley

LS doesn't have a locker.. if you plan on doing any off roading, hold out for something with the locker. You're likely going to be able to get something with a locker for a similar price. Expand your search, fly out and drive back

I would like to swap in a locker eventually, but that wouldn't need to be done until next spring/summer. What would something like that run me?

Last edited:

Gruni14

Observer
A manual would be nice too, though. Fun to drive. Ask yourself how often you'll use the locker. You can always put one in..

shermanhelmsley

The truck would mainly be used as a daily driver with camping when possible on the weekends. Down the line off-roading is the ultimate goal...maybe by then I'll have moved into a 2.5 gen auto

So this one looks like it'll be $2300. + the cost of tires. Any suggestions or ideas on good all terrains, and possibly cost?

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
BFG T/A KO2 A/T - depends on size.

33x10.5x15 will set you back about $625 from Tire Rack after Rebate plus shipping / installation / balance / alignment - figure $900 +/- 15%

shermanhelmsley

Those seem to be popular on many builds for off roading, and definitely give the truck the look I'd like to have, but what about something for daily driving with weekend camping excursions, some beach driving to surfing locations etc.

Unfortunately I'll have to retire the moto once the weather begins to freeze my fingers, so one concern of mine is fuel consumption being that this will be driving to and from work most days through the winter.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
My wife and I drive BFG AT KOs every day.

88 Raider: 4D56T, 5 spd, 4.62 LSD F & R, KYB G/A, T/L, OME Dakar Rear Springs, 33x12.5x15 MTZ, PLH Lock Outs, Justice Bumper #2, Dual Bouncies,
92 Montero RS M/T (V5MT1) 3.0 V6 LT265/70R17 Wild Peak, KYB G/A, ARB Bumper, Warn 9k, 4.636 LSD F & Locker R, Dual Bouncies, New Leather - heated, pop-top?
93 Montero SR Auto 3.0 V6 33x10.5R15LT BFG T/A KO, 4.88, Dual Bouncies, New Leather - heated.
05 Montero LTD LT235/85R16 BFG T/A KO
Gen 1 - PARTS FOR SALE
http://www.tuffpans.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger