95 rear seat

mtnblue

Observer
How do i take out the back seat? I'm at the stereo shop and we can't forget where the amplifier is and I think I remember seeing someone saying that was under the seat

airbox

On my 99 it is under the passenger rear seat (i guess middle if you have a third row). You have to fold up the rear seat and its under the carpet in a black bin. You'll need a 10mm and theres six bolts all on the outside i believe. Your 95 MAY be different, but i'm guessing its not.

mtnblue

Observer
Ok, there isnt an amp under there, but i still want to be able to take the back seat out. 2 bolts in front are easy to get to. 2 other bolts are in the track and seem impossible to get to. Does the seatlip up and forward? The manual doesn't mention it. Also looks like 2 u bolts holding down the back part of the track. Been messi g around with tho s for over an hour and cannot figire out how to get to those 2 hidden bolts

mtnblue

Observer
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to take out the 2nd row seat. The front two bolts are a no-brainer. What do I do next? I cannot see where the back of the seat will tip forward, and I cannot figure out how to get at the bolts under the seat rails. Can someone who has taken out the 2nd row seats out of a Gen 2, please describe, or better yet show photos of what you did? I'd appreciate it.

mtnblue

Observer
News to me. How do you get it to flip up? I've tried everything. I tried the handles on the side, pulling the strap behind the seat, I've tried pushing down on the levers behind the seat... nothing works. On a seat that usually flips up, what is the proceedure to get it up?

PacS14

Adventurer
News to me. How do you get it to flip up? I've tried everything. I tried the handles on the side, pulling the strap behind the seat, I've tried pushing down on the levers behind the seat... nothing works. On a seat that usually flips up, what is the proceedure to get it up?
My 99 has this pull lever next to the head rest, pull it up and fold forward.
ca98e81a8a12cea57530a2d323b21868.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mtnblue

Observer
Ok gang, I know how to lay the seat down, what I want to do is to fold the seat and it's back forward so the back of the seat touches the back of the front seats in a vertical position, if that can be done. Otherwise, I'd like to take the seats out. I have been fiddling with it for a few hours and cannot figure out how to flip up the seats. I know how to lay the seat back down on to the seat bottom and I know how to slide the seat forward so the back is in a 45 degree slope to the back of the front seats but I have not figured out how to flip the seats up vertically. So far, I have not seen a video which shows this. Can it be done? If not, how do I undo the rear bolts which hold the seat down as I cannot figure out how to get to them. I have pulled on the nylon strap in back of the seat and nothing happens, as well as fiddled with the little black lever kind of hidden under the seat on the driver's side.

Big lever on side.jpg pull strap behind seat.jpg Little lever on side?.jpg Seat Folded Down.jpg Seat moved forward.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Did you pull up on the latch release, it's the loop that your finger is touching, seat may need to be in the rear position but with the upper portion folded down.

mtnblue

Observer
Did you pull up on the latch release, it's the loop that your finger is touching, seat may need to be in the rear position but with the upper portion folded down.

Yup, about a hundred times and nothing happened. That is why I am asking a seemingly dumb question. Anyone know what the little black lever is supposed to do in picture #3? So, to re-iterate, in order to flip the seat, the seat back is laying on the seat bottom and you supposedly pull the nylon loop and it is supposed to flip the seat up in a vertical position? If it doesn't do so, what do I need to squirt the silicone on to get it to move?

PacS14

Adventurer
It might need some tough love. There was another thread where a member said his sit would not fold forward, maybe Google something along those lines and see if the thread appears, I think he was able to fix it, like I said on my 99 that round lever is the actual release to fold the seat forward, I never seen that pull strap on my seats.

mtnblue

Observer
It might need some tough love. There was another thread where a member said his sit would not fold forward, maybe Google something along those lines and see if the thread appears, I think he was able to fix it, like I said on my 99 that round lever is the actual release to fold the seat forward, I never seen that pull strap on my seats.

So by pulling that round tab, the seat folds forward? Where is the seat back when you do that? I have looked all over the place on youtube and nothing addresses tilting the seat forward- everything talks about laying the seat backwards to create the bed. I have spent way too much time on this seemingly easy topic to no avail. I don't understand what I am missing here. I guess I will go out and fiddle some more.... any idea what the little black lever is in photo 3?

PacS14

Adventurer
Yes on my 99 the seat backrest in the up position, pull up on the round lever, and fold the back rest forward and then help the bottom lift up while maintaining that lever up and I hear a click once the bottom part is released to fold against the front seats. Good luck!

mtnblue

Observer
FINALLY!!!! I finally got it to flip up. Not sure why it didn't want to, but I will leave it up and lube the hell out of it to figure out why it didn't want to do so. Thanks for the help. I think what I did was climb in back and use my knee to push down on the black lever by the floor while pulling up on the nylon strap, and then it went. It's funny in the owners manual it doesn't talk anything about it flipping up like that, so I didn't think it did. Much better. Thanks, gang!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan