96 Monty SR Build! Slowly but surely.

Dereksd

Adventurer
It's aluminum and they break like that when you try to adjust the tensioner without loosening the tensioner pulley first (yup did that on my first 3.5 12 years ago). You can have it welded on the truck but I suggest getting a new one and installing it at your next timing belt interval.

Guess I'm heading out to the local Pick N Pull. Thanks for the guidance Toastsy!

Dereksd

Adventurer
After a long summer of working and not doing much car work other than basic maintenance, I have saved up enough to buy a set of big boy tires. 33X10.5r15 BFG All Terrain KO2's.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Excited to say I took a big step spending that much money as a high school student. Couldn't be happier with the results! Time to find some trails!

evomaki

Observer
Belt Tensioner Matter

I have broken that notched tab before myself in a real fart smeller move changing a belt in a rush on my kids car a few years back. That is a real "you idiot" move, and I have no excuse. I am old and should know better. The fix is quite simple provided you have a welder or a friend with one. A picture is worth a thousand words (and I don't have one, but here is what you do. I can take a picture of my kids car later):

You just need a fixed notch to straddle/retain the tensioner slider bolt in that little groove. Standard on our vehicles that is integral to the casting and sticks forward, but the vehicle doesn't care from which direction it comes. After cracking mine, I removed that ferrous slider assembly and pulley (4 bolts), and cut/ground the tab off of that big aluminum casting. Then out of scrap pieces of bar stock I extended the metal pulley slider bracket up just a bit and made a notched pickle fork kind of deal to retain that slider bolt and it faces backwards toward the engine and it is all in one. It is all built into the metal slider bracket. Does not rely on the aluminum casting at all. Just bolt it up and adjust away. It was quite an easy job, but you need a welder, grinder and/or portaband.

Dereksd

Adventurer
Haven't posted on the thread in a couple of months.

New Updates:
Alternator
Drive belts
Battery
Replaced cracked O-rings on the PS pump
K&N air filter
AC compressor/filter dryer
Condenser fan
Another alternator (bearing went bad in the other re-manufactured one)
Red tow hooks for fun:)
Floor mats

Need to do:
Find out why rear diff won't lock.. I think the pump has a crack in it.
Rear brake dust guard (picknpull will provide)
Figure out how the hell to mount my hi-lift without spending $60 on the brackets they sell
Troubleshoot flashing 4WD lights (found online but I've been too busy to go through the steps)
Install my new KYB gas-a-just shocks
Alignment (after shocks)

That's pretty much the plans for now other than a couple small things. Still loving the Montero life!
IMG_0269.jpg
IMG_0265.jpg
IMG_0266.jpg
Still don't understand how to fix the upside down pictures...

Last edited:

miloe79

Observer
Mine didn't have heated seats and I live in Texas where it's always hot so yeah not a problem whatsoever! Wonder when they started putting in heated seats though :drool:
Are the cloth seats you got power seats or manual seats? I've been contemplating the idea of switching my leather seats to cloth seats, I live in Las Vegas where is hot as hell in the summer, but I dont want to lose the power seat option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Dereksd

Adventurer
Are the cloth seats you got power seats or manual seats? I've been contemplating the idea of switching my leather seats to cloth seats, I live in Las Vegas where is hot as hell in the summer, but I dont want to lose the power seat option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
They are manual. You could probably swap out the upholstery from leather to cloth though if you don't want to lose power seats. I can't imagine it being too hard

mudraider

Adventurer
Yeah I gave that a bit of thought. I can always add on to the sliders if I need to and I was thinking of maybe welding some metal plates along it and also a bar that comes out for a step to the roof of I ever find a basket to put up there. For the time being I'm not taking the Monty anywhere insane so they'll do fine how the are now. I think it serves more of a purpose as a good jacking point to put something under the tires if I need to get out of mud for now.
Way over thinking all this. It could happen, but not very likely. Great work.the only thing I'd add, to someone doing it now, mount some angle to the frame oversized to the 2" square to spread out the weight and stress.

sent from my pretty good Android phone

Dereksd

Adventurer
Way over thinking all this. It could happen, but not very likely. Great work.the only thing I'd add, to someone doing it now, mount some angle to the frame oversized to the 2" square to spread out the weight and stress.

sent from my pretty good Android phone
Well that's a relief. thank you and I'll get to the angle soon!

Dereksd

Adventurer
IMG_0289.jpg
IMG_0294.jpg
Got my new KYB Gas-A-Just shocks put on Saturday. Love the new, solid feel when taking turns at speed! I could easily compress and extend the old shocks by hand. Need to go test off-road soon.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
they perform better on road than off road, but they will certainly feel a lot better than worn original parts. I've carried some decent speed off road with the Kyb's in comfort. Around 35-45 they fade out quick on just washboards.

Dereksd

Adventurer
they perform better on road than off road, but they will certainly feel a lot better than worn original parts. I've carried some decent speed off road with the Kyb's in comfort. Around 35-45 they fade out quick on just washboards.
Nice! Luckily I don't do fast off-roading where I live. Not enough room for speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179