96 Tacoma overland build

flash9588

North American Overland
Hey all, my name is Alex, I'm a fledgling overlander. Shortly after the summer I got rid of my rock crawler and bought myself a 96 toyota tacoma 4wd with a 2.7L 3RZ. When I bought it I was looking for better in-town driveability, more power, better fuel mileage etc. What I quickly realized when I got it is that when I bought my first toyota (1987 4runner) I was looking to build an expedition vehicle; however, everyone thought I was dreaming when I said I wanted to drive around Canada, shortly after I bought it I drove it into a concrete barrier. 2 years later I buy myself 1988 Toyota pickup and got sucked into rock crawling by my friends. Now I'm here, and this is my 96 Toyota Tacoma. She's not much at the moment, but I have big plans for her.

Future expedition modifications: (in no particular order)

-Warn 8000lb winch
-custom rear bumper with tire swing out and built in kitchen area fold down
-Yukon zip locker
-Air reservoir
-Trailgear low-profile bumper
-100L fuel tank
-OME 3.5" lift
-Raceline Rockcrusher rims
-new exhaust
-safari snorkel
-refrigerator
-dual batteries
-inverter
-upgraded lighting (light bars)

In the works plans:
-bed rack for RTT
-just purchased CVT Mt. Bachelor RTT
-waiting on some interior creature comforts

First day I bought her.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Put on some new shoes, they barely fit.
attachment.php

didn't like the rims I had so I found a set of the old toyota 4 spokes and threw'em on.
attachment.php

Fixed up the grill a bit. Make it look nice
attachment.php

This one of my little projects getting close to completion. For anyone who knows a 2nd gen base model tacoma you know they come with a bench seat, as did mine; however, my bench seat looked like a cat had used it as a scratching post. I always wanted to put in some nice bucket seats in my old truck and never got around to it, well seeing as I'll be putting some serious distance behind me in this truck I figured I should have some semblance of comfort. I therefore went about getting some integra seats and retro fitting them into my tacoma. I also bought this nice center console built for a jeep that fit nicely into that little void.

attachment.php

And to prove that I am in fact serious about all this expedition stuff, this is a little sneak peek at my bed rack. I've done a scale mock-up of what it's going to look like. I have all the lengths categorized so that when I need to start cutting I have a number a piece description ready so there's no guessing. I should be able to build this with a days work. I have the steel being ordered by a friend, should have it mounted by the end of the month if all goes well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears