97 Dodge Cummins - what do you think?

rstl99

Adventurer
Hi all,
I'm casually looking for a suitable Dodge Cummins to carry my recently acquired 10foot Alaskan camper (non-cabover model) and came across this one locally. 97, 2WD, automatic, with Firestone 5,000 pound air bags, bilstein shocks all around, 4:10 diff, has been used for slide-in camper, and more recently a 5th wheel. Used to drive down to Florida every winter so has never seen snow/salt. Only rust is bottom of right front fender, behind the wheel - owner says it's because the way the AC drain is located (?).

About 150,000 miles on it, lots of service records (he's the original owner, who's 70 and no longer needs the rig - he bought a place in Florida). Last fall he had service on the front axle (rotors, pitman arm, idler arm, outer tie rod). Said it's the second time he's had front end work done on it. Original exhaust. Tires will need replacement in a year or so. Original transmission, he had it drained and flushed 3 times and bands adjusted. Liner in the box, it's an extended cab (small seat in the back) very clean inside.

Truck drove very well on the highway, very stable. Couldn't tell if the transmission was slipping or not (haven't driven many of these Dodge/Cummins trucks at this point). O/D seems to work.

Very clean truck. He's asking $10,000. I'm in the North-east, so specimens like this don't come along too often. I offered $8500. What do you think?

Attachments

• 97dodge1.jpg
    97dodge1.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 97dodge2.jpg
    97dodge2.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 97dodge3.jpg
    97dodge3.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 97dodge4.jpg
    97dodge4.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 97dodge5.jpg
    97dodge5.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 97dodge6.jpg
    97dodge6.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
IMO, the price is high -- unless they are just selling for more up north.

A couple months ago I paid $8500 for a 99, auto (built), 4x4, full gauge package (EGT, trans temp, boost, fuel pressure), new BFG AT tires, 4" exhaust (from the turbo to the tip), fairly new injection pump (was replaced with OEM VP44 ~2 years ago when the lift pump failed), 180K, KDP tabbed, no rust, etc.

8500 seems a high for a 2wd needing a fender replaced and you're probably looking at transmission work in the not to distant future (200 - 250K is about all they get before a rebuild).

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
From where I am its a little high but not crazy high. You have to realize that used car prices are climbing due to the current economy. I would also be willing to pay a little more for a one owner rig that has been maintained on a regular basis. I don't think the rusty fender is from the A/C evap. core drain, it probably has dirt that is plugged up in there that holds the moisture in.
It looks like a clean truck but I would do a Kelly blue book on it first and also see what comparable rigs around your area are going for.

chasespeed

Explorer
8500 is high. If it was 4x4.... he would have a better time getting what he wants.

I have an 01, very well built(needs a paint job, cab and bed are different colors)... if I could 10k for it right now, I would let it go... heck, if I could get that WITH a paintjob, I would let it go.... but... it just wont happen.

Chase

rstl99

Adventurer
Thanks for your thoughts and insights.
I agree the asking price is a bit high, which is why I wouldn't give him that much for it.
One aspect of reality up here in the Great White North, is that prices of used cars/trucks are higher than in the US, not sure why (supply and demand?).
Anyway, it's a nice specimen for these parts, and will probably get some attention. Though most guys around here will want a 4x4, if only for drivability on our winter roads. For me, driving a truck camper around N-A, a 2WD would be a good solution, simpler and possibly a bit cheaper to maintain too.
I like the fact it's a 12v cummins with Bosch pump and one-owner.
Anyway, we'll see how this pans out. I'd get it thoroughly inspected before buying anyway, in case other things pop up.
Cheers.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have brought a couple of trucks into Canada from the US. It is a piece of cake. You would have to be nuts to pay that much for a 2wd. You can find a clean 4x4 for the same cash or less in Texas, Arizona etc. Check out autotrader.com. For the price of a plane ticket and some fuel money you will get way more for your money...

rstl99

Adventurer
Thanks, indeed the truck may be overpriced and I'm reconsidering my position.
As you said, there are lots of trucks in southern US with no rust, and one could probably get something cheaper there. In a way, one of the roadtrips I want to do is to Arizona, so flying down to pick one up and drive it back is not completely out of the realm of possible for me! Thanks for the suggestion.
Cheers.

Silverado

Adventurer
If you are set on a 12 valve I would suggest looking for an early 98 model. 1998 is when the extended cab trucks started with swingout rear doors...... known as Quad Cabs. For the first half of 98 the diesels came with a 12 valve, second half of 98 were 24 valve trucks.

:coffeedrink:

rstl99

Adventurer
I wouldn't be opposed to a quadcab (though I don't anticipate having rear passengers, getting at stuff and gear back there would be easier with the other door). As long as it doesn't preclude having a full 8ft box behind it. I need the full box for my 10ft Alaskan camper.
Well, it's all a matter of being patient and waiting for the RIGHT truck to come along at the RIGHT price, or going out and getting it somewhere. For now, I'll go with the former approach.
Thanks,
--Robert

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
From an import perspective, you want to try and stick to trucks that are 15 years old to month of build (sticker on door sill will tell you... As of today you want 10/95 or older). This will open up more options, as these trucks do not require a federal inspection or any involvement with the Registrar of Imported Vehicles or "RIV". They will only allow totally stock trucks. Not a big deal to go through the federal inspection and it only costs $189, but you can't look at trucks with any kind of modification.

The fact that you don't NEED an extended cab is great for you... I found one owner trucks that were really nice for as little as $4500. I ended up importing a 94 12v with rebuilt HD trans, transfercase, rearend etc. It was in great shape with fresh paint ( mid 90s had peeling issues ). I bought it from the second owner who is the nephew of the first, for $6000. There are tons of expo members in az who could look at a truck for you too...

Good lucknin your seach!

billy bee

Adventurer
I agree that the 98 QC's are the hot ticket and that the desert SW is the place to find them. Relatively hard to find, however. The 12v is more reliable than the 24v. If I were driving to Patagonia, I would wait for a 12v. Otherwise, I would not shy away from a 24v. I've owned both and am comfortable that both can do the job.

I currently own a 1998.5 24V 4x4 Quad Cab Short Bed with a Flip Pac. I got the truck for a real steal, but the body is rough. Not rusty, but well used. B/c my Flip Pac fits a short bed, I had to focus on 1998 and newer models. '97 and older diesels will all be long beds...which is what you need.

Prior to finding it in Denver, I was scouring CL in TX. They come up frequently and sell quickly there. I was thinking of flying to San Antonio and hanging out there until I found a truck. Wouldn't have taken long...

Use Craiglook of crazedlist to search the southwest. Don't rule out CA, but they are more expensive here. You can also set up Google Alerts to notify you when a new truck goes on the market. You'll find a great truck.

Here's a pic of mine:
916410702_zaUcR-L.jpg

Good luck with your search,
bb

rstl99

Adventurer
Hi redthies and bb, thanks for your replies.
Sounds like the SW is the place to go to find a nice diesel Dodge truck!
Really, I don't need one until the Spring, as my Alaskan camper is slumbering in my garage over winter (gives me time to re-seal some of the joints and address a few other things with it).
Flying down, buying a truck and driving it back sounds like a great little road trip. Too bad I wouldn't have the Alaskan on the back of it for the trip home!
Anyway, I'll keep my eyes peeled around here and may come across one imported from down there who knows.
Nice setup with the flip pac bb!
I don't know, part of me likes the simple unadorned and work-like look of the Gen 1 Dodges, but the ride in this local 97 made me appreciate the cushy interior (LTE model) of the newer Gen, which would make for more comfortable long-distance driving!
Look forward to being able to post a picture of my truck and camper on here. For now, I'll just post a link to pics of my camper for your interest. I've posted them up in the popup camper section already, and pics of my re-sealing job etc.
http://picasaweb.google.com/108250850896166383506/AlaskanCamperCirca1975?authkey=Gv1sRgCK33quO694OqlwE&feat=directlink
Cheers!!
--Robert

billy bee

Adventurer
I don't know, part of me likes the simple unadorned and work-like look of the Gen 1 Dodges, but the ride in this local 97 made me appreciate the cushy interior (LTE model) of the newer Gen, which would make for more comfortable long-distance driving!

I love the Gen 1 trucks. I had an alaskan on mine for several months. Worked out great. I think the looks of the Alaskan on a Gen 1. They seem to fit together well.

bb

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
rstl... What part of Canada are you from? Are you in witness protection, or just not feeling specific?? :elkgrin:

Try " search tempest " as well when looking for trucks. It will give you all the craigslist ads for whatever areas you want to search. I have found it quite useful.

HMalice

4.10 gears are going to be painful driving around the continent, will turn 2k rpm's at 60mph. At this rpm range and above, mileage takes a dump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears