97 F-350 CCLB build:

Seabass

Idiot
Ole Nasty- I did a fair good bit of cleaning and fixing on mine the first time I bought it. Magic eraser is wonderful for cleaning the outside of a camper. New decals and stripes and a good go over did mine worlds of good. Your camper looks to be in good shape. They aren't bad to up date and modify. It's amazing how far a custom decal job can go.
40ef0c786eedbdf16f8a54fba7ec03f3.jpg
The day I bought it.
1c7d2f8b5ce5f96f6180c5161c5d9a0e.jpg
5b4a93427a5ca0e8920f401f5ff68abc.jpg
And my custom vinyl. Yeah..... I'm glad I got it back.

Seabass

Idiot
Haven't posted in a while. Been busy like always with farm work and feeding, and repairing, etc. But, I did make a purchase. I really love my slide-in. And as stated before am very glad to own it again. But for overnight trips, or weekend trips it's always been a pain with the loading and unloading. So I finally decided to look into a custom trailer that could carry it. Several issues had to be addressed. 1: It had to be tall. Tall enough that the jacks would drop low enough to set the camper on the trailer without modification. 2: It had to be fairly capable of handling rough terrain and able to cross creeks, dips,and swags without coming apart or dragging. 3: It had to be big enough to carry the camper in a balanced way -and have room for all the gear that is a pain to take along when camping. 4: It had to be fairly heavy built. I wanted it to be able to carry 6,000 lbs without destroying it. I burn wood for heat and want to let the trailer haul fairly big loads of wood in the winter while the camper isn't being used. So
I went to a trailer builder and this is what we came up with. It's a 12' trailer. About 69" wide. It has a 4" channel iron tongue with an adjustable hitch. Currently it's got a 2 5/16 ball on it, but I have a pintle hitch setup as well. It has a 7,000lb 8x6.5 lug axel. Brakes too. The floor is 30" off the ground. The tailgate is removable, and will get a pair of legs at the opposite end of the hinge. These are gonna keep the gate at 30" when dropped down so that I'll have a back porch for the camper. I had a pair of good 285-75-16 10ply tires that I took off the old work truck last spring and a couple of steel ford factory wheels. I paired them up and got my rolling rubber. It looks really cool behind my old work truck since I went back with that same tire on it. So far I've hauled wood on it, and it did great! It'll follow that truck anywhere it can pull it. I don't like the way I put my fenders on. But- that's an easy change around. I'll be updating as I get into this. I think it'll be really handy, and fun. And if I want to go on a longer trip I can still load the camper in the bed of my truck and tear out. So what do you guys think? Am I a glutton for punishment, or on the right track?
5c9acb23244914ddae909f71b17fc5fe.jpg
b663ab4edbcdeb851b7da93449bf8242.jpg
63548883146f861b2d7801d2b4832490.jpg
11a8d82f10b488e47fcf0519fcb4c946.jpg
20bc887927dbb56ecdf326821fc45b9c.jpg
006177429f64d6df17a9e74432d25d84.jpg

Last edited:

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Clean, practical, and multi-functional. I dig it! Looks good with the OBS. Good looking dogs too. OBSes and Heelers, man's best friends!

Bojak

Adventurer
Love it seabass. I like your trailer design and multifunctional design. I went same route but did a toung extension with a pintle hitch so I çould go full jack knife without having body contact. Makes general backing easier too. I love where your headed. Out of curiosity what did a custom trailer Run? I went with a big tex off the lot, then modified so I'm just curious.

Seabass

Idiot
Guy's, thanks for the kind words! Pappa- a wise man once said, "If you want it, you need it."- Truax Snow, yup. Old ford trucks and heeler dogs go well together! Thanks! Bojak- you got your trailer on a thread? I'm into mine for about $1,600. I paid just under that for one with the same dimensions and a 3,500 lb axel a couple years ago. It's good for atv's and light stuff. But this new trailer is really well built. Nothing like its predecessor.

MTCK

Observer
Great build. Love how you use your truck and all the different configurations you've tried. I think you convinced me to keep my topper even though I have a slide in now.

Seabass

Idiot
Great build. Love how you use your truck and all the different configurations you've tried. I think you convinced me to keep my topper even though I have a slide in now.

Thanks. I've tried it all. Currently the Diesel has no topped on so I can haul my horses. I've got the camper on the trailer, the legs are on the tailgate for the porch part, I've installed a really big tool chest in front on the camper that has a 46 gallon fresh water tank, a 45 psi 4gpm pump, a new propane fired instant hot water heater and shower, and a cassette toilet. It's just not all finished yet. But I'm close. I'd post a pic or two of my current progress but I can't post from my phone for some reason. The tablet can, though. I'll try and update what I got in the next day or so.

Seabass

Idiot
a762e90b8b4bd51a441d00f444d7d1d3.jpg

Here's a few for starters. Nothing technical. I'll post more as I get time. But you gotta start somewhere! I know, that's the work truck and it has its own thread. But it gets jealous!
1bdb47446f4e39ecb61d4221a8e70ff0.jpg
7f1e4b8226136ca8df16e62cb9c5edf2.jpg

Seabass

Idiot
That truck and trailer are sweet! Love flatbeds and offroady trailers.

I just drooled on my keyboard.:drool:

Thanks guys! I was super busy today. Summertime and farm work are a real handful some days. So I got nothing done. I only need to anchor the tank and place the pump to be done. Well, I also need to power the pump. No big job. But I'm totally whipped by the end of the day. It's been hotter than hell lately. And humid! We're hoping to head down to the river this weekend. We'll see.....but I'll take a crap-ton of pics if we do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger