97 F-350 CCLB build:

Seabass

Idiot
Thanks guys.....Pappa, I got a piece of crap Wal-mart battery on my 460 powered truck. This morning it was 0 outside and it fired right up- although, it did crank over kinda slow. But I know your very particular and deliberate about the parts you use on that beautiful truck of yours. But, it doesn't seem like the 460 needs tons of grunt to start it- at least nothing like the old diesel. IdaSHO, and Rot, I'm not too familiar with either battery. But, I know you both run the old oil burners, and both deal with cold temps. So, I'll do some internet searching this afternoon. I drove the truck all day about 4 days ago, I parked it and plugged it up. I just tried to start it and it's a definite no. SUCK! I gotta get some batteries. A hearty thanks to all three of you for your input. I especially appreciate your opinions. I've followed each of your builds, and have tons of respect for you as "Truck Men" So even though batteries are a really minor thing to replace, I feel like I've had some of the best advice I could have gotten. So off to Amazon I go!

Seabass

Idiot
Odyssey agm's have been very good for me. I've been in cold and hot temps with no problems. They also hold up to the pounding I put my truck through.

WOW PAPPA! Those batteries are expensive! No wonder you've been impressed! Amazon has a group 65 for $282 bucks. Shewwww! I thought price wasn't an issue.......maybe it's a little bit. I'm thinking about calling over to the CAT dealer about 25 miles down the road. I hadn't really considered the "big truck" realm of parts. We run several semis in our feed brokerage business. How dumb of me. There's some great batteries available for big trucks. Our CAT dealer is pretty good....a little expensive but it's CAT so it just goes with it. We also have an awesome Kenworth dealer that has a super parts dept. I think before tomorrow's over I'm gonna have a set of them CAT batteries or I'll get the ones we've been getting from Kenworth. We're having very good luck with an off brand from them.

Rot Box

Explorer
What I like about the CAT batteries is they bulge out a bit just above the mounting base to squeeze 880CCA's out of a group 65 whereas most 65's have 850CCA's max.

I can't tell you they're the best option out there, but I can say there isn't a pickup out there that is more stubborn in the cold than a Ford/IDI lol! :D If they were junk I would have figured it out really quick.

Seabass

Idiot
Rot- 880 is pretty stout. I'm really thinking these may be my best buy. We have a very reputable dealer. However, after talking to my dad I am now aware that he picked up a set of the Kenworth batteries last week and has one leftover. I'm going to test fit it tomorrow. I believe he said it was an Exceed brand. I know that our semi trucks start great- I started one this morning at 0 degrees that hadn't been plugged in. The batteries rung the starter just fine. That truck had the Exceed batteries. But, if they won't fit the old ford- I'm heading to CAT. And I've noticed that my PSD is not happy with cold weather either- unless the batteries are real good. Then it starts good enough. My old cummins spoiled me. It NEVER failed to start no matter how cold it was. But I've read many times that the Ford diesels are fine as long as the glow plugs are maintained and hot batteries are on the truck. I've never had trouble till now. Hopefully this will get me going again.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I am a big fan for CAT or EXIDE batteries witch are both East Penn batteries. I have had a Cat batt in my sd for 5 years now. I went out last night to go on a rescue not started it in 3 weeks fired right up ran the winch for 4 hours at idel with the lights on no problem.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I have a fairly sophisticated system with the house batteries and solar. I also hang out in some remote locals. I didn't want to scrimp. Lots of good advice here from the OBS crowd. :sombrero:

Seabass

Idiot
Well, I ended up getting me some of them CAT batteries at our local Caterpillar dealer. 880 cca's at zero degrees. And just like Rot Box said-they were a good buy for the punch they carry. After I installed them I can honestly say I've never heard my engine crank over so fast. Hopefully this upgrade will prove to be a score. Thanks for the input guys!

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Just out curiosity, did you swap out your stock starter for one off of a 99-03 7.3 truck? That is also supposed to help start these things in the winter. I never did swap my starter, so I can't comment on how well it works or doesn't work. It was on my list if my starter crapped out. It's a direct bolt in.

-jorge

Seabass

Idiot
Just out curiosity, did you swap out your stock starter for one off of a 99-03 7.3 truck? That is also supposed to help start these things in the winter. I never did swap my starter, so I can't comment on how well it works or doesn't work. It was on my list if my starter crapped out. It's a direct bolt in.

-jorge

I've never heard of doing that....you can bet I will when my starter dies if it's an upgrade that helps. All I know is that the powerful 880CCA's are spinning the crap out of it for now.

crusem

I haven't been on here for a while and have been stalking Pappawheely and Seabass all night. I love what you all have done and have to admit I am jealous of your f350's solid front axle and your warn winch bumpers. Surlydiesel mentioned swapping for the new style starter. I did it this winter and can't believe what a difference it made. Truck starts soo much faster.

Thanks for all your good info.

Seabass

Idiot
Is a truck ever really finished? Na! NEVER! So I after I sold my slide in (a regret that I will carry till I find an affordable FWC) I have flipped and flopped about how to best set up the space under my camper shell. I was using a cot and thought it was ok....but kinda inconvenient and stuff was always in the way before I had it set up. So today I made me a new platform. I had some left over Advantec 3/4" sub-flooring from a renovation on my house. So began the construction.
37924ef0effca5aaaaa5bd68156dad52.jpg
Its simple, but useful....I think.
d27eccb13e1a75047982717536ca823b.jpg
The underside.
78ea90a2764ba5ce0dbec29c46ef6a1e.jpg
Immade a two foot flip up section on hinges in case I need to have access to the floor or to haul something tall.
717b1b3315302280276d3616770f59f7.jpg
and with the section flipped down I'm all the way to the tail gate.
ead546a323c2c08772f022aad8702098.jpg
Lots of storage underneath, even a full size spare.
7b4f2b20bb964ed5dd3acb82f8d3f05d.jpg
Lastly I made me some fold down doors, or wings to fully take advantage of all the flat space above the fender wells, and to gain some covered up storage. While it's not completely finished, it's a great start. I can almost sit up straight under the shell, and can easily crawl around on all fours. Plenty of room to sleep. Next I want to put my battery back in and re-connect the solar. Also some carpet is in order to give it some finish.

Seabass

Idiot
So I don't know what the h@£¥ happened, but I got 4 of the same pic. I hate computers. I really do. I'd like to pee on mine while I watched it burn. Except I'd be afraid I'd extinguish the flames. So here's the pics I thought it posted...
7cfba802a03cd84c7d1a2084fe2d47b9.jpg
56f067440e815d4056e8bcd941829bc0.jpg
c10f6276b0fdfd192bc403fef4fcdd5d.jpg
I think the problem is with my Tap-a-talk app. I just did an update, sometimes that's a bad thing. One thing to note.... Right now I can drive my tuck anywhere for pretty much anything. Groceries, parts run, dinner date, and yes....even camping. And I don't have to load the slide in for the camping part. I may have a great compromise.

Seabass

Idiot
How are the two "wings" supported?

I meant to grab some pics. I screwed some 2x stuff under them every 18". It's actually screwed to the wings. The idea is that when the wings are folded open they will lay flat on the sleeping platform and this will allow the platform to slide out of the truck. If I'd attached the supports to the lower section then it would have been locked in by the two tool boxes on each side of the bed at the back. Really difficult to explain. I'll try to grab some pictures tomorrow and post them. It'll be very self explanatory. They aren't that strong. The hinges are carrying a lot of the load. They need to be replaced with some piano hinge with a ton of screws. But, it's in its early stages, and not finished yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78