98 4runner PM

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Guys,

Doing a 120k mile service on a 98 4runner and wanted to know if there was a shopping list or any info available on what all needs to be done?
Is there a mobil1 or k&n oil filter recommended or stick to stock? How much gear oil is needed? Anything special to service? Tranny filter? Fuel filter?
I know it needs brakes, any recommendations?

Oh and any special tools needed?

Thanks,
Sam

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Has the timing belt been done? If not, I'd do that, and the water pump also. May have to replace some pulleys if they're wearing. V-Belts and hoses aren't a bad idea.

My person $0.02 is don't waste your money on a K&N. For the cost of a K&N you can buy 2 or 3 regular paper filters that do a better job of filtering anyway.

Is this truck new to you? If so I would replace all fluids, spark plugs and wires as well as all the regularly scheduled items, It's better to start from scratch than try to figure out what needs to be done when. If not, just go by the regularly scheduled maintenance listed in the owners manual. I would stay away from a K&N, like martinjmpr said, they are expensive and cleaning them is a mess and also not cheap. They also don't filter as well as a paper filter, which might be fine for street use only but makes me weary of offroad conditions. Paper filters obviously work fine if all vehicle manufacturers have used them this long.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I think he was referring to the K&N oil filters (Not air filters), which are actually pretty good. But I tend to stick with NAPA Gold (made by WIX) filters.

Another to do item is the differential fluids. I'd change out the front and rear, then do the transfer case. Very easy to do. I replaced mine with Amsoil 75w-90 for all three.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all the help guys. The truck is my gf's. Soon to be mine, she was hoping to get 4k on a trade in for a range rover. Figure for that price we should just keep it. She wants a rover fornher Toyota, I have a rover but want a Toyota.

So these were my questions
Part number for napa wix filter
I will be rebuilding front and rear brakes. Any recommendations on where to source parts? Also how hard are the rears? I wrench a lot but have never rebuilt drums.
For belts,etc is it best to use OEM or what are my alternatives?

I was going to do all fluids as well. Any specific antifreeze you all recommend? Same goes for plugs, any recommendations?

Thanks very much
Sam

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Any NAPA shop or online store will tell you exactly which filter you need. Front rotors are super easy. Pop off the calipers, slide rotor off and pop new one on. Pads are simple, too. I've never rebuilt the drums (bought new ones), so can't help there.

As far as belts, stick to OEM. Antifreeze, stick to OEM red. Plugs, stick with OEM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78