98' TJ or 95' YJ?

CoronaKJ

Adventurer
Hey Guys, need some advice been looking for awhile to buy Wrangler and I am trying to decide between a 95 YJ with 67000 og miles manual trans and 4.5 " rubicon lift in overall great shape, or a 98 TJ(sahara) with 123000 miles automatic trans. no lift in pretty good shape both are going for 7100.00 and seem to be equally euipped just a mileage difference. any help would be appreciated.

preacherman

Explorer
You did not mention which engines are in each one (the 4 or 6) but one of the biggest diff between the two will the suspension. The YJ will have leaf springs and the TJ will have coils. Having owned both I can say the TJ is a more smooth ride around town and on the trail. Both have good aftermarket support and both will be running roughly the same engine, and transfer case's really no big changes between the years (as long as they both have the 6cy).

Last thing, stay away from the 4cy if you live anywhere besides the flatlands, plan on ever driving on the hwy more than 30 minutes, or need to tow anything. They work ok stock but add tires, bumpers etc and they bog down quick.

gpndave

YJ vs TJ

I have owned two YJs (one manual, one authomatic) and now own a 99 TJ manual. The TJ wins overall for ease of modification, trail prowess and on road ride. A 2.5 inch Old Man Emu suspension on a TJ will do more for a TJ than a 4.5 inch lift on a YJ. The coils just articulate more. The automatic is a tough unit, but only a 3 speed. You eat gas at a constant 15 mpg up hill or down hill. The manual could get up to 20 mpg if tires remain stock size (but who does that?)

Finally, I think the price on the TJ is a bit high for that many miles and no mods. They all hold their value well, but I would look a little more unless you know the vehicle's history personally.

Bcghosttowns

Adventurer
If you only had the 2 to choose from i would go with the YJ.But i would rather see you look for a better TJ.just my 2 cents.

computeruser

Explorer
What are you planning on doing with them?

Having owned both (1989 YJ, 2002 TJ) I happen to like the YJs (especially with a CJ front clip and dash!) and find that the leaf springs are actually pretty nice - fewer points to wear out, easier to beef-up your load handling ability if so desired. Ditch the track bars and sway bar, and you'll be fine on flex for normal "overlanding".

That said, there is no question that flex is easier to achieve in a TJ, and the ride is better. How much better? Depends on whose springs and shocks you choose to use.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
TJ is a better vehicle from a technical standpoint. That said, I own a YJ. :)

YJs have square headlights. That makes them the coolest universal Jeep ever. LOL

Seriously though, depending on what kind of modifications you have in mind the difference between a YJ and TJ is mostly cosmetic if you are going to hack all the factory stuff off (engine, suspension, interior).

For a mildly built machine a TJ is probably a better starting point.

$0.02

CoronaKJ

Adventurer
Well Thanks for all the reply's,
I ended up getting the YJ:wings:. It had the 4.5" Rubicon Extreme duty lift with greaseable shackles, a SYE already added, an air tank, 5 fresh/ matching 33" MTs, high lift jack, bikini top, soft top in great shape, two sets of the upper half of the doors (one pair with sliding glass, and one pair with zipper) cb with fire stick attenna, cold ac, and appeared to be in overall great shape. The TJ had twice has many miles and lacked the above except for the soft top which was in questionable shape. It seems that all the TJ's have high mileage in my area. Anyways the YJ is home and I'll try and post pics as soon as I get them on my computer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger