98 ZJ Roof Top Tent Rack suggestions

kome566

Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking to get a roof top tent (the Smittybilt Overlander) and putting it on my 98 ZJ Laredo. I have factory parts up there and they are rated for 150lbs, but they bend when force is applied with my hands so I am apprehensive about using them.

I've been looking online for some replacements and it seems that most sites are only serving parts for WJ Jeeps and newer.

Does anyone have recommendations on what I could use to support a roof tent? Is there a sturdier crossbar that fits into the factory rack?

Here's what I have:

image0.jpeg

Thanks in advance.

Just use some load bars from Yakima or Thule - they have non-vehicle specifc options as long as your vehicle has the side rails. That way you can buy once/cry once. Also look of CL, LetGo OfferUp, and Marketplace - lots of lightly used options out there for a fraction of what they go for new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

rnArmy

Adventurer
I'd be curious to know what you end up going with. I helped a buddy build a 98 ZJ for overlanding, and would like to put a RTT on top.
ZJ parking garage.1.jpg

Last edited:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
My RTT was a wide one, and the general consensus here was to use three to four loadbars to fully support the sleeping surface without allowing it to bow. I used four Thule bars on my XJ.. then found i could not use them on my ZJ as the roof is also bowed.. so three or more crossbars would not be a level surface to mount the RTT.

A flat platform rack is the answer, unless your RTT is narrow then two loadbars should be enough. To my knowledge only Kevin's OffRoad offers a ZJ platform.. there may be others i'm not aware of. I'v switched to a trailer.

Mitch502

Explorer
Custom made is probably the cheapest/best way if you have the means to do so. Removing the factory rack and attaching to the existing holes would likely be enough, and you'd be able to make a slim and strong rack to mount to.

Take your sunroof into consideration if you have one - I currently can't use my sunroof due to noise from the rack...it's kinda of annoying as I'm a "windows down, sunroof open" person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears