99 Grand Cherokee Adventure Rig

Hey guys!
I have a 99 Grand Cherokee 4.0L that I am planning on turning into a family adventure rig. I am just getting started on this so I am looking for some help. I am thinking about going with either the IRO 4" Critical Path Long Arm Lift Kit or the 4" BDS kit. Anyone have any opinions or suggestions about these lifts? I like the BDS no fine print warranty but I like the long arm lift. I am wanting to have a smooth on road ride but be able to venture off the beaten path to reach various destinations. I have read a lot of good things about IRO and what I have read out BDS seems to be good as well. Also how will these kits handle aftermarket front and rear bumper weights?

brianwj

Observer
I have IRO long arms and BDS 4" springs on mine and it rides great loaded down with camping gear. The unloaded on road ride is a little stiff but nothing I would complain about or trade for the extra load capacity of BDS.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

So a hybrid lift between the IRO long arms using BDS springs would give be better load capacity? I plan on putting a HD front bumper and winch on the front and a rear bumper with tire carrier on the back and was a little worried about springs handling the weight. How would you compare the unloaded ride to factory? A little stiffer or alot stiffer?

brianwj

Observer
Completely unloaded I'd say it's a lot stiffer than stock but I'm never without my fullsize spare, some recovery gear and I have a hidden winch mount in the front with synthetic line.

Yea I'm planning to add a Trail Ready full guard front bumper with winch in the front and a Rock Hard 4X4 rear bumper and tire carrier on the back. Also plan on some sliders as well.

brianwj

Observer
I'm estimating I have about 500lbs of extra weight over a stocker. I usually tow a trailer for camping but added a roof basket for a trip that I didn't want to use the trailer on and could not have been happier with the ride while fully loaded with camping gear and three bikes on the hitch rack.

End goal will be taking trips of all kinds around the US. Backpacking, climbing, canoeing, expedition style off roading, and everything in between.It will bean all around adventure rig that will hopefully allow my wife and I to get into adventure writing, photography and videography.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
End goal will be taking trips of all kinds around the US. Backpacking, climbing, canoeing, expedition style off roading, and everything in between.It will bean all around adventure rig that will hopefully allow my wife and I to get into adventure writing, photography and videography.

In that case I would order the OME suspension and run 235/85r16 tires, this will give you plenty of load carrying capacity while giving a better than stock ride even when loaded and net just under 3 inches of lift under the body. Some very good info here https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=235/85r16+wj+ome

c_ema

Observer
In my opinion the perfect set-up is 4" suspension lift with 265/75 R16 or 265/70 R17

This is mine WJ

f46dff2aaaca3544593c7ef8f93e201a.jpg

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

In my opinion the perfect set-up is 4" suspension lift with 265/75 R16 or 265/70 R17

This is mine WJ

Short arm or long arm? What lift?

I was even thinking about putting bushwacker cut out fender flares on it as well.

brianwj

Observer
Get the long arms if your going with a 4" lift the ride is way better.

That's what I heard. That's why I put in as an option. I want a good on road drive and good offroad capability. Does anyone have the BDS 4" kit that can weigh in on the ride? Same with the IRO CPLA 4" kit? Looking to get some good experienced based input if possible

Last edited:

c_ema

Observer
Short Arm JKS and Clayton 4.5"

I think the difference between short or long is for have more articulation
JKS have a good rubber bushing "like" the original (not in polyurethane), that offer a great articulation too and on road you can drive without noise and great stability and it's easier to install.
I haven't cut out my fender flares, these are only screwed in original hole for have the rubber inside jeep profile, it's necessary for our law.

I think it's a good compromise :)

Sorry for my English :)

Below little twist without nothing disconnected.....

d7b07c36f4008c5d0870400fbf9ec44a.jpg
8286276627f7f89f8d9018d33699018b.jpg

Last edited:
ok I am still thinking about going with a 4" kit but I have been looking and seeing a lot of WJ's with the OME/Bilstein combo lift. In all seriousness how are the OME lifts really doing? Hows the flex, on road performance, off road performance, are you losin much lift when installing bumpers and winches?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger