99 LC100 Grinding rear brakes

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
Hello all.

I am currently in VA with a small problem (hopefully).

When we left ME, there were no apparent issues, the car was run through the shop and was given a full service and the stamp of approval.

we arrived in VA two nights ago at aprox 12am. The next morning I noticed a grinding sound coming from the left rear of the vehicle while driving. we unfortunately had to push through around town for the day. That evening I found a local AutoZone (Williamsburg, VA and they are VERY helpful). Loaned me a tool that wasn't in the "loaner pool".

Anywho, the rear pads were essentially non existant (supposedly just replaced). So on go a new set and I though all was good. Now here comes the weird part.

When taking a right hand corner (loading the left rear) a light scraping or grinding sound appears. It is ONLY when cornering, it does not happen when going over whoops or bumps. I did not have what I needed to pull the entire caliper, only the slide and replace pads.

This is not my truck, and it was supposed to be a standard road trip with no off pavement excursion. I am hoping some other ExPo member has had a similar sound and can provide some insight.

Sorry for the long read. We are scheduled for an appt at the dealer tomorrow (I don't know any local garages unfortunately).

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Yes, possible wheel bearing :( but worth removing the pads a little air cleanout and re-install just in case.

Also check for kinks in the brake lines. With the Hundy's brake distribution a resistance to flow like that can have some ill effects. I had to replace my rear hard line on the axle after a kink in it caused one side to overheat. The Hundy already applies a rear bias on light braking as it is and eats rear pads.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
Probably a little pebble stuck between the pad and rotor? How are the pads looking?

There is no pebble, I replaced the pads with new as I stated in the OP

Wheel bearing?

I am starting to think it is possible.

Yes, possible wheel bearing :( but worth removing the pads a little air cleanout and re-install just in case.

Also check for kinks in the brake lines. With the Hundy's brake distribution a resistance to flow like that can have some ill effects. I had to replace my rear hard line on the axle after a kink in it caused one side to overheat. The Hundy already applies a rear bias on light braking as it is and eats rear pads.

I have taken the calipers off and check for anything rubbing. It has all been cleaned out and nothing is out of place.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
wheel bearing is easy to check, jack up wheel and inch rotate, put tireiron under wheel and check for excessive movement ie lever up on tire - rotate repeat.

note often noise also comes from the unloaded wheel as much as the loaded one under cornering - you need to check both sides.

if its making noise all the time get it up on a frame hoist and run the wheels.

I had a dif go once but only one side made noise....go figure.

really its highly dificult to locate vehicle noises over the internet !

best of luck !

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
Ok fresh back from the dealer.

The backing plate is being rubbed on by the rotor. I cannot find a cause for this as everything else looks to be in place. There appears to be no safety concerns from the dealers end. so we will continue on.

I have a feeling the rotor became warped and is causing this grinding, but it will have to wait.

I am trying to find a picture of the rear parking brake with the rotor off so I can show you guys where the rubbing is occurring. There was a thread on Mud about this, but it was short with no resolution.

03denalisuv

just the other day i had to bring my truck in for the same sound. i brought it to a guy i know at a local car shop and he showed me that my back plates behind the rear brakes had rusted and that a piece of it would move and scratch against the brake disc. he said it's not too important of a piece and i gave him the go ahead to cut it off. other wise, to replace it you have to remove most of the components on the axle. now theres no more annoying sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78