99 Ram w/ 97 Sun-Lite

freeskier125

Observer
Also, sorry gsanders and Spencinator. After realizing what I had just done, I resorted to some Woodford Reserve and will have to reply at another time.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
Very cool rig, has me thinking about mine, I was gonna just do a sleeping platform in the back ( I have a Leer highrise cap ) but after checking out your thred it has me thinking about a slide in pop up.
I guess Ill see whats on craigs list. Enjoy your travels, maby Ill see you on the road.
Paul

freeskier125

Observer
gsanders -- Thanks for the advice and compliments. I'm kinda bummed about leaving the zodiac behind but I've realized it isn't too realistic, and might get me into "bad" situations traveling alone.

On the truck squat, I have a 3 leaf + bottom overload pack with the gigantic stock blocks. I believe the truck came with the hitch but no additional leafs or swaybar. (It's a SRW Dana 80 and I added a Hellwig Swaybar) It was perfectly level with just the camper in the back but after the front leveling kit and rear tire swing it looks weighted down, depending how its parked. Thanks again for the help.

spencinator -- With my "projected" departure date quickly aproching, I'm not so sure the new springs or bags will make it on before the drive to Tahoe. They're not needed right now, but will be in the next year or two. Thanks for the positive motivation!

truck mechanic -- Like I mentioned to spencinator on page 4, I'm so glad I bought one. Back under it in 30 min and drive off with all the pots/pans, assorted camping gear, queen bed, fridge, stove, bathroom, sink, ect. all kept ready to go.... it is awesome. I had no knowledge about truck campers and went out on a limb buying one from craigslist, turned out to be one of the best and life changing decisions I've made!

I had a couple minutes yesterday to tear apart the roof, I started around the vent area.

CB988509-1354-4E3F-B031-F47722BDB563-2749-0000017945B19E4B.jpg

(White -- interior paneling. Red/dirty white -- Glue and styrofoam. Blueish -- fiberglass shell)

The construction seems to be (from exterior to interior) thousands sheet aluminum, fiberglass "shell", styrofoam insulation, swollen 1/8" veneer interior paneling. And that's it. Quite surprised its a 13' 6" X 7' 3" flat roof with no roof joist / crossmember structure. How did it not sag one the showroom floor? The only wood I've found is around the vent so there is something to screw it down to.

The vertical edge wood going the length of it isn't too bad, but the front and rear are punky. Atop the Heco scissor lift are bars on the driver/passenger side that bolt to the rear and extend over the bed area. Inside the pipe is a solid rod with a hex end on it, making it a torsion "assisted" lift.

2B58DDC2-DBEF-4C3B-9E58-3902116CE5F5-2749-0000017A0F64B083.jpg

I'll get a better picture

A5137A2D-F257-4656-AC12-CE37C4B9E9CB-2749-0000017A1B072BF7.jpg

The mounts on the rear are starting to twist in the rotted wood. Some bolts are missing? some loose and missing nuts, and drywall screws where bolts should be. I don't believe any previous owner has been in here before, making me wonder who did this hack job.

E0FCB45B-F87F-4AB8-A142-94907778F685-2749-0000017A07942553.jpg

Still not sure if I will use wood, steel, or aluminum to add an arched support around the middle area. There was a surprising amount of weight in the rotten paneling and frozen blocks of styrofoam I peeled off. (Weighing LBS instead of OZ.) Hopefully more to come over the weekend!

magilla

Nice set up.

Love the thread
Definately come check out the west. If u want come on down to mammoth and try some skiing. I'll show u around and hook u up with a discounted ticket. We're only 3-3.5 hours south of Tahoe. Your reinforcing my want for a pop up camper.
And one advantage of air bags is if your camp site isn't perfectly level you can compensateb2 or 3 inches with the bags. And they r nice if you have a steady crosswind. U can dropm5 or 10 psi out of the side the winds on and ease the wind pushing the rig.( if u have controls in the cab)

freeskier125

Observer
magilla, here are a couple more pictures from the earlier part of last year. I'll keep digging up more. I am really considering your offer for checking out the Mammoth area, I'll keep in touch as I make my way west.

I tried to meet up with a friend hiking the Appalachian Trail in 3 different states but we never crossed paths...
IMGP0116_zps159f5743.jpg

Lunch spot...
IMGP0156_zpsdf19ddea.jpg

rawrrr!!
IMGP0194_zpse5726421.jpg

Another lunch spot...
IMGP0227_zpsb5e05d74.jpg

And another wonderful spot to have lunch...
IMGP0247_zps75b56df4.jpg

A Flordia key...
IMGP0442_zps76305a58.jpg

Daytona...
IMGP0485_zpsa3694c95.jpg

I had police pull out in front and redirect me in a different direction 3 times before I told the 3rd officer I wanted to take a picture near the capital building. I sat in the middle of an intersection shooting the breeze with him and he explained campers are not allowed within 3 blocks (or something) of the building. This is as close as I could get.
IMGP0546_zpse925559c.jpg

Presediental Range, NH...
IMGP0691_zps860b14e9.jpg

Spot for the night...
IMGP0733_zps2274d30f.jpg

The Ramsey 10K couldn't pull me out here (hours of shoveling later....)
IMG_0256.jpg

Once again, Mr. Daniel's led me astray...
IMGP1138_zpse85a1a11.jpg

It's been a few long weeks trying to get my shizzle together; fixing the roof, ordering/installing truck parts, planning the front motorcycle carrier, along with saying goodbye to the 50+ "good friends" (let alone all the acquaintances) I have made over the years working at my local Transfer Station. I'll post some pictures of the roof rebuild progress in the up coming days. Here is where I left tonight, wondering if there is a construction adhesive that will adhere to the (still kinda wet) thompsons waterseal wooden frame to the Allumium roofing. It is gonna be pretty important to get this figured out, and do it correctly...

IMG_0366_zps99f3907f.jpg

ALSO! Here is my rough route to Tahoe. ~4200 Miles at least 22 days.
From NH Seacoast --> Saratoga Springs, NY --> Mantoloking, NJ --> Mountain Brook, AL --> Boulder, CO (few days skiing vail too) --> Silverton, CO --> Paige, AZ --> Las Vages, NV --> Mammoth, CA --> Tahoe City, CA

Let me know if I'm driving near your neighborhood or if we might cross paths on the road!
Picture3_zps56e01c40.png

-Colin :cool:

Last edited:

bob91yj

Resident **************
Missed your travel dates, most of the passes in the Silverton area are snowed in through late June/July in my experience.

freeskier125

Observer
After an incident that left me nearly camperless only 4 days after I had quit my job to start a new chapter in life full of traveling, adventure, and all good things. I'm finally getting back to focusing on and making progress with the camper and feel some worthiness of posting an update.

The biggest issue has been the absence of a roof on the camper, which is finally coming together over the past week or so. The first "new" roof I made was a complete loss so I went back and remeasured all the dimensions and gaps to make sure what few measurement I had from the factory roof were actually accurate. Assembling the corner caps to the aluminum trim there was (should be) no way for it to be incorrect.

Same wooden frame as my first design, but was able to salvage 2 of the roof crossmember/trusses so there are now 6. Also, I did not use any stain/water sealer on this frame. It became a hassle to deal with and glue would not stick to it, even without the waterproofing this roof should outlast the rest of the camper.

I bought 4 sheets of .40 thousandths (1mm) pre-painted aluminum and used a siding brake to bend the edges on them. It was pretty thick for the brake and ended up putting 2 big bends rather then small bends every 1/8" like I had planned.

I didn't want to use any screws to hold down the skin to the wood frame, each spot has the potential to leak and its not that smooooth streamline factory look, but it's probably for the best to mechanically fasten it down. I, or anyone behind me, really don't need it to peel off going down the highway. (at that point I'd probably unstrap it, dump the clutch, and not look back). But I'm sure a dab of sealant and metal roofing screws with neoprene washers will be fine.

I ordered some VHB tape to attach the 4 panels together, not sure if I'll bring it right to the edge or slightly back so I can run a bead of sealant along the whole thing for extra protection.

Theres been a handful of other issues; the MagneTek 6612 Converter no longer charges the battery, a few small broken things inside, and waiting to find out if the roof is going to be too heavy to crank up with 2x the metal, wood, solar, ect... there has been a few days where I've been ready to scrap the thing and move on... but even with all my investments in the camper, I'm still in it for less than what it would cost to replace it with a similar one. The emotions of owning a truck camper....:smiley_drive: :cool: :(

Glad to see a lot of activity in the truck camper forum, great ideas, some really neat custom build, maybe its just me but also few recent roof builds/projects.

I'm so ready to get the gloomy feel outta there

Also, I'm trying to think of anything else that the roof could possibly use in the future before everything is sealed up. I'll be installing a fantastic fan, an extra light over the bed area, 12v power for possible flood lights around the perimeter. I might run some sort of conduit to the 4 corners for future wiring. Any ideas or suggestions are always welcome.

-Colin

SLO_F-250

Explorer
WOW! Aweomse work! Install a fan for sure. Personally I am all about solar and would suggest you do that route. The additional light might be nice as well and not alot of $$ so do it. Flood lights on the exterior.... Eh.... If you do it make sure they are LED. I just see a nice chunk of wires that go up and down with the camper. That is the only reason I say keep it simple.

Great work though! Keep it up. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out! :elkgrin:

kerry

Expedition Leader
Couple of things about the roof: I doubt it will be too heavy. I have a Northstar TS 1000 and crank it up with either three 16' sea kayaks on the top or 2 canoes. HOWEVER--I have a much longer crank handle. The short original HECO handle is a joke. I bought a new spare Heco handle and an old sailboat winch handle off ebay. I took out the gear portion from the replacement handle and mounted it in the sailboat winch handle. This handle is twice as long as the original HECO handle and allows the roof to be cranked up with ease. In order to install the gear in the winch handle I removed the original locking mechanism at the end of the winch, drilled out the hole the locking mechanism went into to accept the HECO gear and then drilled two holes through the winch end and gear mechanism. I then installed roll pins in the holes. Been working well for about 2 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78