'99 Tahoe - Expedition Build!

Spargman

Adventurer
It's been awhile since I've had wifi access, but I'm hoping to put some big updates together for the last 1.5wk of traveling we did.

Some highlights:
-We parked/camped on the RIM of the Grand Canyon for three days and wheeled/hiked each day (amazing)...check out "Crazy Jug" on the north rim and you will know what i mean
- Slept in the valley of a canyon (high clearance 4x4 only access) two nights ago and the scenery was beyond breathtaking
- Did a bunch 10%+ grades off road with the trailer and it handled like a dream, but we had to shut it down x2 in one day due to engine and tranny temps getting too high
- We've met tons of incredible ppl in the middle of nowhere with some incredible stories (check out Gooseneck State Park in UT), we slept on the edge of the canyon there)

For the next two weeks we're in Moab UT - wheeling, hiking, swimming and possibly sky diving - so check in for some more updates coming soon!!

Some ppl have asked how the rig handles with a suspension lift, tires, armor etc etc. Legally, we've done 75mph with a 2500lb trailer and the truck drives like a dream...minimal vibrations, tracks straight as an arrow and suspension is just how I like it.

We've probably driven close to 500miles purely offroad (some really nasty stuff) and the alignment is still spot on.

Sooo....if you're wondering how a suspension lift will affect your rig....if you replace worn parts, grab a nice set of shocks, run your CV's at a comfortable angle, you can have a really nice handling and SAFE truck. My only gripe is that steering is a little soft after I removed the variable speed sensor so I could run a hydroboost setup...but with close to 9k lb at a steep angle going down a mtn pass, these brakes have been amazing.

Spargman

Adventurer
nice tahoe! i have a 99 burb. what arb bumper did you put on? was there a mod for it?

Thanks!

The ARB bumper was for a big Land Cruiser. I worked with the owner of Liquid Iron Industries and we created mounts on his CNC. Fit was perfect with his mounts...I highly recommend giving him a call b/c I know he saved the specs and we specs hours figuring it out.

When I get back from the trip, we're going to raise the hoops b/c right now they're a little too low for my taste.

Spargman

Adventurer
That was a great build. The rig looks great and seems to be taking care of you also. Thanks for this thread, I don't see many of these used as an expo rig. They seem like a great platform for a expo famil and such.

I have no idea why guys in the US don't rig their tahoes/burbs for expedition use. THe platform is truly amazing IMHO and I have done some really crazy trails with this thing over hundreds of miles....and she never hesitates....big engine, comfortable ride, etc. I've towed that trailer offroad in 20%+ grades, all in 2wd and the truck never stuttered.

And to expo these rigs out, you really don't need to do much work other then body armor and a good limited slip or locker in the rear (the OEM G80 is garbage and WILL wear out)

Spargman

Adventurer
glad to see u got to update ur build thread some, it was good getting to meet u at the expo

It was awesome mtg you at the expo!! We ended up getting jammed in Tucson exploring for a few days and then stayed at a friend's in Phoenix...apologies for not calling you that wkd to wheel; time disappeared.

Today we're going to hit some slick rock on one of Moab's advanced trails.

Spargman

Adventurer
Just finished the White Rim run in Moab - 120miles of offroading through canyons - truly amazing! If you ever want to run this, permits take 6mo - 1yr to grab...but we got lucky and there was a permit available when we showed up there.

Some pics:
IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

A car we rescued in the first 2miles of the trip - what was this guy thinking!?!?
IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

02TahoeMD

Explorer
"- what was this guy thinking!?!?"

Clearly, he was NOT. He should be told to get outta the gene pool IMHO. The utterly mindless behavior of people never ceases to amaze.

Great pics by the way, jealous of your trip. White Rim is on my To Do list.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Great picts and Rig! I was lucky enough to do a two night 3 day mountain bike of the white rim trail a few years back. Absolutely amazing! Glad to see you had a blast!!!! :elkgrin:

Spargman

Adventurer
"- what was this guy thinking!?!?"

Clearly, he was NOT. He should be told to get outta the gene pool IMHO. The utterly mindless behavior of people never ceases to amaze.

Great pics by the way, jealous of your trip. White Rim is on my To Do list.

02 - does that front bumper look familiar to you??? I worked with Liquid Iron Industries to fab mounts for me and the Land Cruiser ARB i purchased!!! When i get back from my trip, we're raising the hoop section; otherwise fit & finish was perfect.

Spargman

Adventurer
Great picts and Rig! I was lucky enough to do a two night 3 day mountain bike of the white rim trail a few years back. Absolutely amazing! Glad to see you had a blast!!!! :elkgrin:

Do you remember which campsite you stayed in? We were able to grab MURPHY and the view was simply amazing!

bjammin210

I miss my '99 tahoe sooooooooo much. I put 265,000 miles on it before it threw a rod through the block while I was on the highway....I wish I could have kept it long enough to do a build like this. your ride looks awesome!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Absolutly awesome:Wow1:pics Spargman. I guesse the guy with the Ford was pissed off at his car and wanted to punish it. Maybe you should have given the guys a lift and left that junk there to rot..... Cheers, Chilli.:)

Spargman

Adventurer
I miss my '99 tahoe sooooooooo much. I put 265,000 miles on it before it threw a rod through the block while I was on the highway....I wish I could have kept it long enough to do a build like this. your ride looks awesome!

Thanks Bj - the Tahoe is an awesome platform, one of my personal favorites! Grab another one!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman