99FG Engine Control Warning Lamp

kerry

Expedition Leader
Parked the FG at a trailhead at 11,500 ft this morning. After hiking, and having driven about 200ft down the forest service road I notice the Engine Control Warning Lamp was illuminated orange. Never happened before in 11 yrs of ownership. Manual says it indicates a fault in the electornic control circuitry of the fuel injection system that has caused the system's functionality to decrease. Came down the road about a mile and 500' in elevation in low gear 2wd using exhaust brake to slow us down. Stopped at the intersection with county rd to assure no rocks stuck between the duals. Left the truck idling, light still on. Checked the manual to make sure it wasn't indicating anything dire and decided to head home. As soon as I turned on to the county rd and accelerated in second gear, the light went off and has stayed of in about a 60 mile drive on 2 lane roads and interstate. Anyone have any idea what the light indicates besides the manual's generic description? I thought the 99's had very minimal electronic control of the injection system? My preliminary hypothesis is that it might have something to do with elevation. I've never shut off and restarted the truck at that high an elevation before. But I have no explanation as to what elevation might do to the injection system. Manual says when the light comes on, turn the truck off and restart. If light is not on, on restart, there isn't a problem.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Do you have a workshop manual for your truck?
If so, the procedure should be described in there.

Sorry, I cannot remember... what model and year is your truck?

yabanja

Explorer
I would guess it is elevation related. If it went off and doesn't come back on I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Allan

kerry

Expedition Leader
I'm not too worried about it, mostly curious as I thought the electronic controls for the IP were minimal on my truck but this light suggests otherwise. I have a vague recollection of reading that the electronic controls only related to idling and nothing more. I need to look more closely at the wiring near the windshield washer tank to see if I can identify the connectors mentioned in the link above. On my 93 GMC I can get flash codes by jumping two pins in the OBDI connector. But I do have an old Snap On 2500 scanner which I bought to read the transmission control module on that 93 GMC (the engine is fully mechanical). It came with a whole bunch of adapters for different manufacturers OBDI connectors. Perhaps one will plug in to the Fuso.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Printed out the workshop manual so it is easier to read. (not cheap--$120!) But much more useful. It only shows 4 codes for a 99fg. 03,06, 11,12. All are related to the electronic governor assembly in the IP. Repairs suggested are either replacing a sub-control rack position sensor, replacing the electronic governor control unit, checking the linear DC motor, inspecting the pre-stroke cut relay, or replacing the IP. I don't understand what a pre-stroke control injection pump means. There is a pre-stroke learning function that can fail to be executed in the ECU (I suppose) The ECU is getting the following data: Engine speed, target rack, real rack, accel volts, water temp, boost pressure, PS ang. diff., supply volt, accel stroke and boost temp. The flash codes can be obtained by disconnecting the switch in the lower right hand corner behind the hinged panel used to access the wiper fluid bottle. Codes are flashed in units of tens and ones. Tens 1.2 seconds. On .4 seconds. Each code is indicated 3 times before moving on to the next code.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman