A bit of Louisiana History.

I've been looking for this stage coach route that went through Louisiana. The route came from Natchez, Ms and went across Louisiana to Jena, then westward to Natchitoches. Natchitoches is one of the oldest permanent settlements in Louisiana. The stage route split in Natchitoches. One direction, went south to Leesville, the other went to Many and crossed the Sabine river and eventually ended in Mexico City. The section that went to Mexico is called El Camino Real. BUT, it is a well paved hwy now.

I've been focusing on the section that split south to Leesville.

Legend has it that Andrew Jackson and his troops marched through here on the stage coach route. But, there are conflicting stories. One indicates he was chasing Aaron Burr as he tried to form his own empire within the neutral "no mans land" between Natchitoches, La and Nacogdoches, Tx. The other legend, as indicated in the Memoirs of Aaron Burr, stated "Jackson promised to aid Burr in his invasion of Mexico with a whole division of troops."
Other stories tell of caves that bandits and outlaws would use to hide out. There are stories of buried loot, mostly from the Murrel Gang. Gold, silver, bank notes, safes, canons, guns, etc. Of course, none of it has been found. Murrel's Cave was in an area where some of this loot was buried. What's crazy. The hill "sank" about 80ft from the word of mouth of locals. Apparantly the springs pushed all of the sand out from under the hill. Accounts say that dishes shook and fell off counters and out of cabinets.
There were also quite a few moonshine stills in the area.

I've been trying to learn as much about this area as possible. I heard stories of the old stage route, and a sign marking a stop along the way.
VstZjFJ9bW11xRvpGLWzTOXQfwuMdhXB0300.jpg

RGZKLl9jxg0YehVeOg7412zx6+8owExe0300.jpg

A section of the Stage coach route. Now, merely a fire break, but hey, atleast they bulldoze it occasionally, keeping the route visible.
yhfXt5w6xIfBVSV+ibe7fHvR7N8hN7Dv0300.jpg

9MuITb1LBN67CtQef09J+TQp2x7X6uFY0300.jpg

Of course, I figured this would happen. I'll be back in the area with my axe and chain to get farther down the route. Unfortunately, the forestry service maps show that the trail dead ends about another 2 miles from this block. BUT, it continues on an ATV trail. I should be able to squeeze down the ATV trail, but we'll see how it goes.

I'll share more once I get to explore some more.

(these were taken tonight-after dark). I didnt have any homework, and my wife has a night class. Its an easy way to take care of my daughter, too.

7wt

Expedition Leader
Nice research. The only thing I know about Natchitoches is you better not pronounce it like Nacogdoches or they will know you are from Texas! Sounds like "Nacadish"...right?

Now you have to track down the sites they used to film parts of Steel Magnolia's. Aparently it was filmed in Natchitoches

Last edited:

Signcutter21

Adventurer
cool little bit of history there LA. Been down that way once for the christmas festival. remember eating some gator meat on a stick.

My son and his mom/ grandparents live up the road a bit in Bossier/ Shre-powt area. If I ever drive out that way, I'll have to look you up and hit a trail or two with you.

later,
mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior