A Challenge - How Obese is your Rig?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
All I can do is lost past trucks...truckless atm.

04 Tacoma d/c 5200-5400lbs unloaded and low on fuel!

84 FJ60 Cruiser around 5500lbs with light hear and half tank of fuel.

83 Nissan Patrol SWB 6000+lbs but far from stock.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Oh and the new truck is a bit of a hybrid but I expect it to be in the 6-7000lbs range loaded and ready for a trip.

targa88

Explorer
Fully loaded (including auxiliary fuel tank) less than 4,700lbs - build was conceived to minimize weight gain.....

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
My rig AND my trailer is just over 3,600lbs, no passengers, fully laiden with gear (jerry cans and water containers full). Vehicle by itself is just over 2,950lbs with no gear. It'll be more once I have a dedicated spare tire rack on the back.

*One of these things is not like the others*

:)

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
My rig AND my trailer is just over 3,600lbs, no passengers, fully laiden with gear (jerry cans and water containers full). Vehicle by itself is just over 2,950lbs with no gear. It'll be more once I have a dedicated spare tire rack on the back.

*One of these things is not like the others*

:)
My axles weigh about that much by themselves...

peneumbra

Explorer
Mine is rated at 15,000 gvwr, and I figure that the truck itself weighs maybe 7,500 or so. So I've got quite a bit to work with...

easyshell

Mine need a major diet I tend to bring every thing including a spare sink.
4runner 7100 lbs all gear and two people
International 21,500 lbs with trailer only to get heavier with more STUFF
Dodge 13,500 (only 3600 lbs over weight)

Attachments

• blue pearl.jpg
    blue pearl.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0663.JPG
    IMG_0663.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 31
  • truck-and-camper.jpg
    truck-and-camper.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 29

jomobco

Now Decanter
2011 JKU 5.7 hemi, aluminum bumpers, fenders and skids

I had her loaded. 2 people, 40 gallons of fuel, skis, snowshoes, fridge, food - just under 6500 lbs. :ylsmoke:
JK Snow.jpegIMG_1592.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
wow that is a packed 4runner, but seriously built.

and I am surprised the Jeep is that heavy, you are about even with my 70 burb!

tacr2man

Adventurer
Dont you have problems with insurance payouts . or fall foul of vehicle inspection when you overload ( exceed manufactuers GVW) your trucks ? Dare not do it in UK ! or most of Europe !

Unimog U500 with camper and literally 1.4 tons (at least!) of spare parts and tools: 12500 kg fully loaded with fuel, water, etc etc. 2500 kg/5500 lb BELOW GVM.

Charlie

Last edited:

reece146

Automotive Artist
Another Jeep Cherokee (XJ) data point.

Curb weight: 3350 lb
GVWR: 4550
Payload: 1150

My "vanilla" build used the following heavier than stock parts:

TNT Long Arms
TNT Stiffeners
JKS Sliders
Dana 30 front axle converted to WJ brakes, high steer, WARN hub kit, ARB locker
IH Scout Dana 44 axle w/ WARN full float kit, ARB locker, Suzuki J1 vented disks
HAD CV rear shaft
ARB Bumper w/ WARN M8000
16x8 steel wheels, 265/75-16 Duratracs

With 2/5ths a tank of fuel and no passengers or gear it tips the scale at 4250 lbs.

Amazingly it still drives pretty decently with the stock tractor engine it came with combined with 4.56 gears in the axles. I'm not really wanting for power at highway speeds or when towing the camper (~3000 lbs). Steep ascents and real altitude would likely make me think otherwise.

By the letter of the specs I only have 300lbs of cargo capacity left assuming the upgrades don't increase GVWR. With all the weight added the Jeep drives much "larger" than it used to; I have no worries with the family on board, loaded and hauling the trailer. Between the extra weight and the large brakes the Jeep handles the load fine. I have an unmodified XJ still and with just me in the Jeep while towing the trailer (unloaded) it feels "scary".

The built Jeep gets ~17 mpg unloaded on the highway (~110 km/h), with the trailer in tow it'll do 18-19 mpg. The top of the trailer is level with the roof of the Jeep so I'm guessing it cleans up the aero somehow.

I don't recommend this setup but I'll use what I have till it's used up.

daveyboy

Adventurer
2008 Tundra, stock except for Timbrens in the rear and 275/70/18 E tires.

Loaded for ~12 day trip with me, wife, two boys, water tank mostly full, 5-gal propane, firewood, food, tons of stuff we didn't even use, etc.... .

7940lbs total
3500lbs front
4440lbs rear

Forgot to mention, spec is 7100lbs GVWR

P1000737.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12