A challenge to the "lead sled" ADV bikes offered today

Clutch

<---Pass
saw this yesterday at the Moto Hall of Fame...

Fricken cool!

Since we are talking about unicorn farts...
It would be cool if KTM sold a consumer version of the 450 rally for touring. That would check all the boxes. Light, capable, range, drool factor.

If you know the right people, you can get one...it's $30K, but achievable.

Husqvarna released this today, a rebadged KTM...cool-none-the-less.

husqvarna-rally-bike_127.jpg

husqvarna_rally-bike_1203.jpg

A

agavelvr

^thats the good stuff right there.

i wonder what the median age and income is of a new purchase big adventure bike. I would guess that it is 57 with an income of 115k.

My highly scientific guess is based upon a few years of observation on the trail, numerous conversations at the AIMS, and scanning craigslist/Advrider for sale ads.

So, here is the problem I am curious about... Almost all of the older riders I have met riding the big bikes on fire roads or tougher two track are starting to move back down the model sizes. They can't pick them up, are getting injured increasingly more, and generally are no longer having fun in the dirt. Most have figured out the "pro" setting on their suspend by wire bikes doesn't actually make them one. Perhaps the 450 dual adventure will be the next big thing.

A

agavelvr

I gotta agree with you on the fairing too.
It hurts when you hit in right between the ribs :) never missed one on my 690 on the highway.

Clutch

<---Pass
^thats the good stuff right there.

i wonder what the median age and income is of a new purchase big adventure bike. I would guess that it is 57 with an income of 115k.

My highly scientific guess is based upon a few years of observation on the trail, numerous conversations at the AIMS, and scanning craigslist/Advrider for sale ads.

So, here is the problem I am curious about... Almost all of the older riders I have met riding the big bikes on fire roads or tougher two track are starting to move back down the model sizes. They can't pick them up, are getting injured increasingly more, and generally are no longer having fun in the dirt. Most have figured out the "pro" setting on their suspend by wire bikes doesn't actually make them one. Perhaps the 450 dual adventure will be the next big thing.

What I have seen with my circle of "friends", there was a fad of guys buying those older 600-650 bikes...then realize that they are heavy underpowered pigs that don't handle very well compared to their modern enduros...so they went up to big adventure bikes...ok for a bit...and then realize...yeah these things are heavy overpowered pigs that are pain in the ******** to pick up in the rough stuff, a lot of gone back to their 450-500 modern enduro bikes for the most part. Some still have their big bikes, but are used mostly for slab and graded dirt roads, nothing too hard. Most guys don't have the time to do big multi-month adventure rides...but can squeak out a week or two trip...like Baja, Mexico to Canada trip, TAT, Oregon desert etc. So the 450-500 sized machines are perfect for that (or even the 350's)

I have heard some chatter of guys wanting a 390 adv, use the engine out of the 390 Duke. Which would be a lot less maintenance than the race engines that are in their enduro line.

I gotta agree with you on the fairing too.
It hurts when you hit in right between the ribs :) never missed one on my 690 on the highway.

I have had the fairing come up and hit me in the throat going over some rough terrain at speed, scary. plus the stuff I like to ride it just gets in the way, find them more annoying than helpful.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I rarely rarely see big ADV bikes out in the wild (in the dirt)...I do see them perfectly clean running down the hwy, with all the "right" gear to go sit at Starbucks tho'. Like Harleys, the ADV bike has become a fashion accessory.

They don't even have to do it...that is what I have been saying, the lightweight adventure bike does exist...it is an enduro with a 5 gallon tank. Hell, the KTM 500 puts out darn near 60 horsepower in a 250 lbs. bike, majority of the average riders will never even come close to using it all.

You can keep that thing sub 300 lbs, with gear.

That's funny I have noticed a lot of them lately being used as commuters. At least they aren't as loud as Harleys.

Maybe there easier to come by than the 690, because the 690 is not easy to find, I looked. That was the way I was thinking of going but like I said near impossible to find one. so I went with the 500exc.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Several of us dads in my area use to ride allot! Like all week yr around to work and beyond. All of chuckle about how having a kid resulted in all of us selling our bikes. A couple of the dads with older kids just started picking up small 250's for street legal ability but 98% of the time they are just doing trail stuff. All of them are hauling the bikes to the dirt, none are riding them to the dirt. I'm still in the little kids at home camp, but to be perfectly honest I only see my self getting a 200ish little duel sport in the future, so its light to transport to the trail and fun and easy to ride on the dirt. Some sort of cage will schlep all the extra crap needed for a trip.

Clutch

<---Pass
Several of us dads in my area use to ride allot! Like all week yr around to work and beyond. All of chuckle about how having a kid resulted in all of us selling our bikes. A couple of the dads with older kids just started picking up small 250's for street legal ability but 98% of the time they are just doing trail stuff. All of them are hauling the bikes to the dirt, none are riding them to the dirt. I'm still in the little kids at home camp, but to be perfectly honest I only see my self getting a 200ish little duel sport in the future, so its light to transport to the trail and fun and easy to ride on the dirt. Some sort of cage will schlep all the extra crap needed for a trip.

Bud of mine recently bought a Triumph Tiger, he likes the bike, even though it can be a handful in the dirt...but it is huge pain in the ******** to get anywhere "good", he just got back from a trip...said next time he is going to trailer it, and at least be comfortable for the boring parts. :D Then I asked him...why not just bring your Husky 501 and actually have fun in the dirt too? :D

Clutch

<---Pass
From the Rolling Hobo-

"After three seasons and 40.000 km of faithful service the KTM 690 Enduro K13 is still running strong without any mechanical or electrical issues. A fantastic machine!
However, I firmly believe a lighter bike will be a much quicker route to all kinds of sticky situations and paths less traveled. So a KTM 500EXC K16 adventurization project is now in the works.
As the bike will be lighter, so will everything else from the gear to tools and spare parts. It will be interesting to figure out what is truly essential and what can be considered as an unnecessary luxury."

12241106_839976406119597_3777572754105803580_o.jpg

12243450_839974126119825_8351040493410262337_n.jpg

Great choice:roost:
From the Rolling Hobo-

"After three seasons and 40.000 km of faithful service the KTM 690 Enduro K13 is still running strong without any mechanical or electrical issues. A fantastic machine!
However, I firmly believe a lighter bike will be a much quicker route to all kinds of sticky situations and paths less traveled. So a KTM 500EXC K16 adventurization project is now in the works.
As the bike will be lighter, so will everything else from the gear to tools and spare parts. It will be interesting to figure out what is truly essential and what can be considered as an unnecessary luxury."

12241106_839976406119597_3777572754105803580_o.jpg

12243450_839974126119825_8351040493410262337_n.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Great choice:roost:

Recently did a quickie test ride on a Husky 501, and a Triumph Tiger 800....the Tiger was nice, but I can see it very limiting on what I like to ride.

That 501 is a rocket and very smooth. Reminded of my old KTM 505, yet a less violent power delivery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger