A couple questions for AT trailer owners.

LngDstncVygr

In the spirit of reducing "buyer's remorse" for the couple of guys asking about the AT trailers, let's add a few extra points for *prior* consideration/resolution which may make their purchase/ownership experience as good as it can be. (I write this NOT to stir up controversy or to "knock" the AT product, but to provide some user experience that goes beyond that which we members of the "club" usually say "in public".)

(1) Be sure to check out the construction of the AT trailers. The Chaser is of a peculiar modular design which is bolted together with about 100 bolts. There is nothing "wrong" with this in itself. It does however require that the tub have 1-inch lips all around to bolt through. This creates (1) some packing issues potentially, and (2) about 100 points of abrasion that must be protected against.

On this, Gear actually has videos of his building of his trailer on UTube. You might check them out.

(2) Be sure to understand that access to stuff packed in the front of the Chaser is almost only through lifting the top. You may have to climb on the trailer to access what you are after even then. This is not necessarily a problem except under the following condition:

(3) If you have water on the top of the trailer (because it has been raining, for example), lifting the lid is good way to flood the tub. Because of the peculiar water shed pattern off the top of the trailer when it is opened, water tends to flood into the tub, not down the side of the trailer (as one would hope!). Expect things to get wet.

(4) Related to #3, don't necessarily expect the tub of the Chaser to be water tight. Mine isn't. After dragging my trailer though rain, I can always expect standing water in the tub. Expect to carry anything that can't be wet (sleeping bags/bedding, clothes, towels, water sensitive equipment) in water-proof boxes, boat bags, etc.

(5) The air bag suspension is one of the great selling points of the AT line. And it is cool, no doubt. But it is not a zero-attention thing (lie a torsion axle or leaf spring). Expect to do some futzing around with it. You may find that the air bags leak down between trips, that loads need to be adjusted (an *advantage*), etc.

(6) You may find as I do that the trailer hitch is about 6 inches too short. My Jeep Wrangler has a rear side-swing/lift door combination that cannot be opened if the trailer is connected to the tow vehicle. (This, of course, means that one can access stuff in the back of the tow vehicle only with the greatest of difficulty.)

(7) While the Horizon is a bit wider, you may find the track of the Chaser a bit narrow. I am sure that M & M can provide their rationale for making the Chaser the size that it is. But the Chase IS narrower than almost every potential tow vehicle that it might chase. Another six or eight inches of width would have matched tracks better and provided loads more space.

(8) There is another active thread or two on this, but it is worth saying aloud here. The AT trailers, while very nice, are fairly expensive basically *single-purpose* entities. What they do, they do well. But I don't think many would call them "flexible". (Just have your expectations clear here.)

(9) A great advantage of the Chaser is its light weight. Even a Jeep can more-or-less reasonably pull the Chaser!

Having said all this, I answer all the questions in the same way all the other "family members" answered. Ours definitely is a "keeper". The trailer is nicely built, heavy duty, certainly up to every test we have given it so far. M & M are good guys. (We've met Mario. I'm not sure Martyn exists except as a handle on the ExPo and as an e-mail address!) The open space of the Chaser (minus a huge chunk taken up by a refrigerator--approximately 1/4) works well for packing. You can probably put together something that will *reasonably* serves the needs of the "average" user for several thousand less than the cost of an AT unit. (But on this, check out RLefevre's build--both for his excellent work AND his cost estimates!) But when you add up everything--quality, testing, the guys at AT (including their willingness to support you after the fact)--the AT (and the Chaser) makes a really good choice . . . .

Good luck with your decisions, guys.

Best wishes.

Richard LeNoir

Gokracer1

Adventurer
In the spirit of reducing "buyer's remorse" for the couple of guys asking about the AT trailers, let's add a few extra points for *prior* consideration/resolution which may make their purchase/ownership experience as good as it can be. (I write this NOT to stir up controversy or to "knock" the AT product, but to provide some user experience that goes beyond that which we members of the "club" usually say "in public".)

(1) Be sure to check out the construction of the AT trailers. The Chaser is of a peculiar modular design which is bolted together with about 100 bolts. There is nothing "wrong" with this in itself. It does however require that the tub have 1-inch lips all around to bolt through. This creates (1) some packing issues potentially, and (2) about 100 points of abrasion that must be protected against.

On this, Gear actually has videos of his building of his trailer on UTube. You might check them out.

(2) Be sure to understand that access to stuff packed in the front of the Chaser is almost only through lifting the top. You may have to climb on the trailer to access what you are after even then. This is not necessarily a problem except under the following condition:

(3) If you have water on the top of the trailer (because it has been raining, for example), lifting the lid is good way to flood the tub. Because of the peculiar water shed pattern off the top of the trailer when it is opened, water tends to flood into the tub, not down the side of the trailer (as one would hope!). Expect things to get wet.

(4) Related to #3, don't necessarily expect the tub of the Chaser to be water tight. Mine isn't. After dragging my trailer though rain, I can always expect standing water in the tub. Expect to carry anything that can't be wet (sleeping bags/bedding, clothes, towels, water sensitive equipment) in water-proof boxes, boat bags, etc.

(5) The air bag suspension is one of the great selling points of the AT line. And it is cool, no doubt. But it is not a zero-attention thing (lie a torsion axle or leaf spring). Expect to do some futzing around with it. You may find that the air bags leak down between trips, that loads need to be adjusted (an *advantage*), etc.

(6) You may find as I do that the trailer hitch is about 6 inches too short. My Jeep Wrangler has a rear side-swing/lift door combination that cannot be opened if the trailer is connected to the tow vehicle. (This, of course, means that one can access stuff in the back of the tow vehicle only with the greatest of difficulty.)

(7) While the Horizon is a bit wider, you may find the track of the Chaser a bit narrow. I am sure that M & M can provide their rationale for making the Chaser the size that it is. But the Chase IS narrower than almost every potential tow vehicle that it might chase. Another six or eight inches of width would have matched tracks better and provided loads more space.

(8) There is another active thread or two on this, but it is worth saying aloud here. The AT trailers, while very nice, are fairly expensive basically *single-purpose* entities. What they do, they do well. But I don't think many would call them "flexible". (Just have your expectations clear here.)

(9) A great advantage of the Chaser is its light weight. Even a Jeep can more-or-less reasonably pull the Chaser!

Having said all this, I answer all the questions in the same way all the other "family members" answered. Ours definitely is a "keeper". The trailer is nicely built, heavy duty, certainly up to every test we have given it so far. M & M are good guys. (We've met Mario. I'm not sure Martyn exists except as a handle on the ExPo and as an e-mail address!) The open space of the Chaser (minus a huge chunk taken up by a refrigerator--approximately 1/4) works well for packing. You can probably put together something that will *reasonably* serves the needs of the "average" user for several thousand less than the cost of an AT unit. (But on this, check out RLefevre's build--both for his excellent work AND his cost estimates!) But when you add up everything--quality, testing, the guys at AT (including their willingness to support you after the fact)--the AT (and the Chaser) makes a really good choice . . . .

Best wishes.

Richard LeNoir

Richard,

I am glad you gave your honest opinions/experiences on this topic. Its nice to hear some Honesty and you did point out some good concerns. I am sure with everything there will be some pros and cons, but maybe some can be addressed in the build process? I considered building my own but AT does seem to have a very nice trailer here.

1/4) On this issue maybe silicon or some kind insulator can be added in the joints to help with water/moisture issues. Also possible the rubbing between the parts? I also know they make some nice Super thin foam that will keep water out, but is very flexible to move with the trailers characteristic body flexing.

2) It would be nice to maybe have a small front door like some of the other trailers but its the design and size I like. I know there are some issues that would be nice to address but it will most likely end up bigger in some way and not all of us want that.

6) The hitch length was a issue I was thinking about also, I have a Jeep JK and it has a swinging tailgate and tire carrier. I DO NOT want to have to disconnect the trailer to gain access to the JKs cargo area. I saw this pic posted earlier in this thread and looks like it was addressed.

DSC_2139.jpg

I will bring these up with Martyn (He is the one I been in contact with) and see what if anything can be done from their end. Overall again I appreciate your opinion to better help my final decision on a adventure trailer.

Adam

Last edited:

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
LngDstncVygr wrote "(1) Be sure to check out the construction of the AT trailers. The Chaser is of a peculiar modular design which is bolted together with about 100 bolts. There is nothing "wrong" with this in itself. It does however require that the tub have 1-inch lips all around to bolt through. This creates (1) some packing issues potentially, and (2) about 100 points of abrasion that must be protected against.
Abrasion has been an issue. I solved it by adding these panels. I also put a trim plate in the bottom to keep the dirt from collecting in the 1" lip. The top has the added benefit of holding my Lafuma Chairs and other small items.
DSC_3947.jpg

DSC_3951.jpg

No Utube that I know about but here is a link to my build up of Chaser #15. http://share.shutterfly.com/action/...MfY&emid=sharshar&linkid=link5&cid=EMsharshar

After using the Chaser for a couple of years now I can honestly say I do not need the rear tail gate option. I have yet to use it.

I have yet to do this. I think a simple 1/4" closed cell foam strip on the hinge side of the trailer would solve the water entering when opened.

Mine has been water tight to my knowledge. I must confess that Mario's words were "Dude that tube of silicone was support to last for the entire build. I think my Chaser would float if I got it deep enough.

I solved this by installing a Quick Air III in the nose box. Most nights I actually let air out of the suspension to level the tent. In the morning I simply air it back up.

(6) You may find as I do that the trailer hitch is about 6 inches too short. My Jeep Wrangler has a rear side-swing/lift door combination that cannot be opened if the trailer is connected to the tow vehicle. (This, of course, means that one can access stuff in the back of the tow vehicle only with the greatest of difficulty.)"
This can be solved with a hitch extender. I believe M&M can supply you with one. Here is what mine looks like.
DSC_3944.jpg

And a parting shot. My first shot looking down on the Chaser and Jeep was to show the Eezi Awn 2200. Here is a side shot to show how large it is. You can also see that the swing out tire carrier clears the nose box.

DSC_2125.jpg

More info from a happy owner. Enjoy!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018

Best wishes.

Richard LeNoir

I'll try to answer the points brought up. It's been a really long week so I 'll answer what I can. I'd gladly expand on any of them after I get a few hours sleep.

The Chaser is a panelized trailer. The panels are bolted together with silicon between the panels to seal them. The trailer was designed this way because initially people wanted a less expensive model, and individual panels are less expensive than welded panels. The by-product of the panelized body is that all those bends produces an incredibly strong unit. The same process is used on the Horizon except the seams are welded not bolted. This process allows you to make a strong body without an internal or external frame.

Accessing the main box isn't a huge issue as the height of the box is relatively low.

Water dripping into the main box is easily remedied by putting a bulb seal along the hinge side of the main box, when the lid is opened any water runs up against the bulb and down the outside of the trailer.

The main box should be dry. The main issues with older trailers (Richard I presume this is a used trailer as I have no invoices for a trailer for you) is that the main seal on the lid has been over compressed. It needs at least a 1/4 inch to work effectively. Initially we used rubber bumps to achieve this but these tended to compress. Now we use natural felt.

Air suspension is not a closed system and need maintenance like tires. The components come from vehicles that have on board compressors and height regulators to adjust them. They are subject to changes in temp and pressure.

We can customize the length of the tongue if we know how long you want it before we start the build. 7 inch extenders are available for situations like D-90 and LJ's etc.

The chassis of both the Horizon and Chaser are identical in width 40". The track width is the same, the only difference is the fenders on the Chaser are 12" wide and the side boxes on the Horizon 14" wide hence the 4" difference in width.

We produce Expedition trailers. We have found that trying to cover all the bases and have a trailer that can work for everything dilutes the product to a point to which the trailer isn't good for anything.

We are selling a Teardrop trailer that offers different option, and we will soon be offering the Oasis that opens up even more possibilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior