A couple questions for AT trailer owners.

NAdams

Observer
I'm thinking about ditching my traditional camper and going with an adventure type trailer. There are several reasons that have led me to this decision, not the least of which is this great forum and all the awesome adventures you guys have.

Due to poor planning in my past I never learned how to weld or speak spanish...two things I kick my self for now. Anyway, building a trailer is out of the question and restoring an old military type trailer is more than I think I can handle......again back to the welding thing.

So after researching most of the avail off-road designed trailers out there, I keep coming back to the AT Chaser with RTT. I don't want to start calling and bugging the guys at AT (yet) so I thought maybe some Chaser or Horizon owners would chime in.

Questions:

Was the AT worth the expense?

What is the order-to-delivery time frame?

Would you order the same rig again or look at something else?

Is it reasonable to think I can take my family (wife and 2 kids- 6/8)
and all our stuff camping/exploring and fit it in the Chaser?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Nate

RgnNxn08

Questions:

Was the AT worth the expense? Absolutely

What is the order-to-delivery time frame? Mine was approx 6 weeks I believe

Would you order the same rig again or look at something else? Absolutely

Is it reasonable to think I can take my family (wife and 2 kids- 6/8) and all our stuff camping/exploring and fit it in the Chaser? You could, but I got the Horizon for the extra room.

They are also a great company to work with and I'm sure Martyn would not mind answering any questions that you might have.

Tad

2008-08-02-Camping06.jpg

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Questions:

Was the AT worth the expense? Yes, I would say it was one of my better modifications to the Jeep.

What is the order-to-delivery time frame? Not sure on this one because I built my own at there shop. For a while they were offering do it yourself builds. I think I was the only one that took them up on the offer. Or maybe I screwed to many things up during the build in there shop that they decided this was not a good idea. I believe AT and myself learned a lot during my build.

Would you order the same rig again or look at something else? Yes, I love the Chaser. It is a basic box that allows you to mold it to your liking. I seem to change gear lists for every trip. The open floor plan allows for this.

and all our stuff camping/exploring and fit it in the Chaser? Yes, but like anything if you have the room you will find something to fill it. Try to think of it as car camping but with all your stuff in the trailer. Going lite will make the trailer that much more enjoyable. What I am trying to say is just because you have a trailer does not mean you should be taking a lot more crap. I would recommend the Eezi Awn 2200 Family tent. This tent is big and would work for the 4 of you. Now if you are going to let the kids sleep on there own then that is a different story. I just started caring an Oztent RV4. This tent sets up fast! We have been using it as a changing room, wind/rain shelter and when the my boys get bigger they can sleep in there. I believe it is a great compliment to the Chaser.

Feel Free to PM me if you have any specific questions or want to talk by phone.

DSC_2139.jpg

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Questions:

Was the AT worth the expense? Yes. I have their Horizon model.

What is the order-to-delivery time frame? This can vary; Mario or Martyn can give you better idea of their current workload.

Would you order the same rig again or look at something else? Yes

and all our stuff camping/exploring and fit it in the Chaser? Yes. The Chaser or the Horizon will give you plenty of room.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Which tent have you got there (referring to RgnNxn)? Fit 4? That would be my only concern would be getting a large enough tent on top to fit 4. I think I heard you could get a family size RTT up there, but it required a special frame or something.

I don't own one, but also recommend something the size of a Horizon for a family of 4. Especially if you have a Jeep with no storage space, and you're coming out of a full size camper. If you're a backpacker, moving up to a truck/trailer, it's easy to adjust. If you're downsizing from a full size camper, the adjustment will be harder, so get a large trailer.

I'd call AT, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to talk. But maybe look at Campa and Sherpa trailers too.

RgnNxn08

R LEfebvre,

I went with the Series 3 Family Rooftent. It is basically a bit longer than a king sized bed. I just have my son and I, but there is PLENTY of extra room. It does need a larger frame then the standard tent, but well worth it.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Questions:

Was the AT worth the expense? Yes

What is the order-to-delivery time frame? I don't know i bought Mario's old trailer. Right now i think it's 6-8 weeks for a new one.

Would you order the same rig again or look at something else? I would order one again.

and all our stuff camping/exploring and fit it in the Chaser? I would go with a Horizon.

beachshot.jpg

Last edited:

TheMike

Adventurer
Was the AT worth the expense? Absolutely, without a doubt.

What is the order-to-delivery time frame? Mine was about 4 months.

Would you order the same rig again or look at something else? Same thing, no question. I do like the newer suspension though - even though there really isn't anything wrong with mine.

and all our stuff camping/exploring and fit it in the Chaser? Yep. My family consists of my wife, our 5 year old and myself. I take way more stuff than necessary plus my Jeep doesn't hold as much as a traditional Expo rig. The trailer is perfect for exactly what we use it for - sometimes 1-2 week outings but mostly for long weekend mountain exploring/self contained camping in the NFS. When we are out we normally do mostly offroad - that's our goal.

Gokracer1

Adventurer
I am in the same boat as Nate, I been spending a lot of time looking for an adventure trailer and I think the Chaser is the one.
Glad to see so much great feedback on these, keep it coming!

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I am in the same boat as Nate, I been spending a lot of time looking for an adventure trailer and I think the Chaser is the one.
Glad to see so much great feedback on these, keep it coming!
I went to see Mario in the old shop when the artic trailers were there. My O my what a bad *** set up those things were. I think Mario said they use the same frame on the trailers now being built. I have been to the shop twice in one year and I was so impressed with the set up that I went back and dropped off a deposit for the Horizon trailer with the 1800 series tent,trailer brakes,nose box,12 package, I just might pick up a stove later along with the awning. I do not need it all at one shot,one here one there ect. Should have the trailer in mid August. My trailer is taking longer to build due to a military contract, Hey the troops come first. I am sure I will be pleased with the build. Alittle pricey but the workmanship and durability of the trailer can not be beat. If you have the chance to see one up close and hands on you will change your mind and say where is mine. They are really nice even better when you can see em and spend some time in the shop asking questions.

NAdams

Observer
Thanks guys for all the great feedback and the overwhelming validation of just how great these trailers are.

I'm heading to the LA area in a couple days for the next leg of our 2-month
road trip. Spending a few days with family and then heading up to Sequoia
for some camping. I think I might take a field trip over to the AT shop while I'm out there and get a first-hand look at what all the buzz is about.
Pretty sure it will be the clincher that will have me clearing gear out my current trailer and putting a For Sale sign in the window.

Thanks again for all the help.

Nate

Gokracer1

Adventurer
Thanks guys for all the great feedback and the overwhelming validation of just how great these trailers are.

for some camping. I think I might take a field trip over to the AT shop while I'm out there and get a first-hand look at what all the buzz is about.
Pretty sure it will be the clincher that will have me clearing gear out my current trailer and putting a For Sale sign in the window.

Nate

Goodluck Nate, let us know what you find and keep us updated.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018

Nate

I feel like a lurker reading all the nice things people are saying about our product (look for your checks in the mail :) ).

We are at the end of a Chaser production run right now, just about to start building Horizons.

I'm delivering a Chaser on Saturday, that leaves one Chaser that's has all the major components built and needs to be all bolted together. It's going to Angola so we fitted it with a Fox Shox Coil Over system with remote reservoirs. Lots of interesting things on this trailer, SSB radio, 37 Mikey Thompsons, etc. That will be at the shop.

I'll be heading North on Sunday to get back to my family. Mario will be around on Tuesday. If you do come over next week you may get a chance to see our military prototype trailer (sorry but we'd have to kill you once you'd seen it). Wow! I can hear the black helicopters already.

We have the Oasis and the Teardrop on hand as well.

NAdams

Observer
Martyn,

My wife is in the military and currently in Afghanistan.....maybe she could get the Air Force to "issue" her one of your trailers. She could turn it into a mobile medical clinic......oh the possibilities!!

Thanks,

Nate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan