A Diesel in the New Suburban? Heck Yeah!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I mean, the EcoBoost V6 is pretty complex as well. I looked up the torque curves on both of the 3.5 ecoboost and the 3.0 Duramax and man, Ford puts this diesel to shame with the power output.

I think the only argument is, it's an inline 6 diesel, so if you want to hotshot with your Suburban, you can sleep in the back next to the aux fuel tank.

I'm trying to find a reason to like this diesel because I want to see more diesels in the market. GM needs to innovate out of this hole they are in and this won't do it.

If Ford re-releases a 7.3 Gas or Diesel Tremor Excursion the overland bros would explode. GM just doesn't have that enthusiasm with any of their products with anyone I've spoken too. The ZR2 colorado was the last real push forward I saw with any hype and it's still a Colorado underneath. I mean, where is GM's Bronco competition. Or I guess a better question is, how is GM planning to compete with any car maker. Like Toyota, they've let things stagnate and ride on reputations earned during a different time and under different circumstances without innovating anything really in 30+ years. I mean, look what they did to the Blazer.
The reason I can’t own a modern diesel is my use pattern. Lots of local short trips within a yr the diesel would be junk. I bought a 2019 Expedition the 3.5 is such a bizarre combo of low rev grunt and then high strung twin turbo madness it’s honestly a great argument for not going diesel for the diesel guy. I love diesels my first car was a diesel. The 3.5 is about as diesel like as you can get without all the modern negatives. I really wanted a plug-in hybrid Expedition like my wife’s plug-in Fusion. Given most of my short trip stuff could be EV mode. However couldn’t wait that long and then it became apparent Ford was looking a fleet use not individual buyer use for the hybrid application which case plug-in doesn’t really work.

They used to make a 3/4 ton rated Suburban with full floating rear axle. And a SM465. Of course it had a solid front axle. Oh well....
And re “massive 22” wheels”: with infinitesimally short sidewall tires, virtually useless on bad (=good) roads.
Wish you could get a 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban with FF rear axle, the 3.0 Duramax, manual 6 speed (ZF S6-650); I’d even consider it with IFS front (holding my nose).

Last edited:

Skinny

The Ecoboost is far from complex. Sure it has twin turbos, maybe the direct injection is complicated but it has relatively simple emissions and drinks 87. Plus the timing chains are at the front of the engine. My 2.7 touches 24-25 in the summer.

Not sure why anyone would buy a diesel past 07. Especially when its more expensive.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
For you Expo trailer pullers, this new diesel Suburban might be a really good choice for your next new rig (once you win the lotto and can afford one with forcing your oldest two kids to drop out of college).

While the new Suburban lists out at a pretty hefty price as usual, the Duramax option adds less than a grand to your final bill. But hey, at that point, who’s counting pennies? Anyway, from what I just read below, it’s extra bitcoin well spent to get that smelly, big bonus of extra torque. And better yet, in the case where you you choose the High Country trim, it’s actually $1500 cheaper to skip the 6.2 gasser and go for the diesel! Plus, as Brian points out, you can have additional fun confounding your neighboring drivers at the gas pumps, because, I mean, when was the last time anyone saw a diesel Suburban?

Here’s R and T’s Brian Silvestro’s take on the rig:

You Definitely Want the Diesel in Your New Chevy Suburban

Chevrolet has added a diesel engine option to its revamped full-size Tahoe and Suburban SUVs for 2021. Available on every trim save for the off-road focused Z71, the 3.0-liter Duramax turbo inline six is a $995 option (except in the case of the High Country trim, where it’s actually $1500 cheaper to go diesel) over the base gasoline V-8, a naturally aspirated 5.3-liter. And after spending five days and several thousand miles behind the wheel of a Duramax-powered Suburban, it has become clear that the diesel is a must-have for anyone who plans to use their massive Chevy truck for its intended purpose.

Digital editor Aaron Brown and I needed to be in Missouri in mid-March for the 100 Acre Wood rally, in which we planned to participate using Aaron’s E36 M3 as part of an upcoming story in our magazine. Since we were both in New York City, we needed a tow vehicle that could haul a race car and all of its spares. Having just driven a Tahoe with the base 355-hp 5.3, this was a perfect chance to get our hands on the diesel variant and compare. The differences were shocking.

Don’t get me wrong; I know why they offer a 5.3-liter V-8. It’s for fleet sales, Ubers, and people who can’t fathom paying for anything other than 87-octane gasoline. But in vehicles as big as the Tahoe and Suburban, it’s a bit lethargic. You really have to wind it out to get going, and revving a truck engine never feels satisfying.

The diesel, on the other hand, is perfectly suited to this application. It’s well-tuned for the truck’s weight, working well with the standard 10-speed automatic to ensure the right amount of thrust gets to the wheels. While it’s down on horses versus the V-8, it makes up for it with torque: a mere 383 lb. ft. versus a full 460. It feels like the engine that was meant to be in this truck from the beginning.

And a Duramax under the hood is especially useful if you have a trailer out back. Though Chevy’s official tow capacity ratings for the diesel are only slightly better than the 5.3’s, that low-end torque makes all the difference. Pop it into trailer/haul mode and the truck adjusts throttle sensitivity and gearbox settings, optimizing revs and avoiding any extra strain on the driveline. Even with 5000 extra pounds out back it never felt like the diesel was struggling to pull its weight, whether accelerating onto the highway, scaling steep inclines, or passing lesser traffic. Best of all? This truck returned about 500 miles to a tank....

.....The biggest change for this generation of Suburban is the addition of fully independent suspension in the rear. Combined with the magnetic ride control and air suspension in our specced-out High Country tester, the IRS evened out pretty much every piece of road we threw at it. Only the biggest bumps shuddered the cabin enough to remind us it was still a body-on-frame vehicle. Not bad, especially considering the massive 22-inch wheels.

(More info in the linked article)
The new diesels don't smell
The Ecoboost is far from complex. Sure it has twin turbos, maybe the direct injection is complicated but it has relatively simple emissions and drinks 87. Plus the timing chains are at the front of the engine. My 2.7 touches 24-25 in the summer.

Not sure why anyone would buy a diesel past 07. Especially when its more expensive.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Diesels are needed to carry decent sized cabovers and to tow large 5th wheelers. Ford's new 7.3 approaches a diesel's grunt albeit with 50% more fuel consumption but the others out there just don't cut it. Passing and hills kill them.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The reason I can’t own a modern diesel is my use pattern. Lots of local short trips within a yr the diesel would be junk. I bought a 2019 Expedition the 3.5 is such a bizarre combo of low rev grunt and then high strung twin turbo madness it’s honestly a great argument for not going diesel for the diesel guy. I love diesels my first car was a diesel. The 3.5 is about as diesel like as you can get without all the modern negatives. I really wanted a plug-in hybrid Expedition like my wife’s plug-in Fusion. Given most of my short trip stuff could be EV mode. However couldn’t wait that long and then it became apparent Ford was looking a fleet use not individual buyer use for the hybrid application which case plug-in doesn’t really work.

Same here. 10 mile commute to work (whenever I go back to the office) + lots of short grocery store/home depot trips are my norm.

The thing about diesels is that the things that used to make them desirable - simple design, good fuel economy, runs on cheaper fuel - no longer apply in the age of expensive ULSD and engines that require DEF and regens. So now you get a complex engine, decent (but not spectacular) fuel economy that is offset by having to run more expensive fuel and DEF, and you still have the heavy weight and excess cost of diesel. For most consumers it just doesn't make sense.

Same here. 10 mile commute to work (whenever I go back to the office) + lots of short grocery store/home depot trips are my norm.

The thing about diesels is that the things that used to make them desirable - simple design, good fuel economy, runs on cheaper fuel - no longer apply in the age of expensive ULSD and engines that require DEF and regens. So now you get a complex engine, decent (but not spectacular) fuel economy that is offset by having to run more expensive fuel and DEF, and you still have the heavy weight and excess cost of diesel. For most consumers it just doesn't make sense.

What you are saying is: It isn't the right vehicle for you. 10 mile commutes and short store runs are not where a diesel is needed, of course. These engines are made for hauling and towing, and they do it well.

I like the new emissions stuff. My diesels don't smell, and don't pump smoke. In my area, diesel fuel is cheaper than 87. DEF costs me about .0043 $ per mile. I can more-safely tow and haul on the steep grades in the mountains where I work, and the truck doesn't even notice my camper and heavy load when I'm on a trip. I get 20MPG in a one-ton truck when unloaded, though I don't run unloaded very often, but that's way better than any of my friends are seeing in their Tacomas or Tundras. Loaded down heavy and towing, I see 15+ MPG. Different strokes, sure. Buy the vehicle and engine combo that makes sense for your usage.

Watt maker

I think these diesels in mid size and half ton trucks are about 10-15 years too late.

I agree. Although, GM and Ford had diesels ready for their halfton trucks/SUVs back in 2007. GM had a pretty sweet 4.5L V8 duramax ready to go and ford had a V6 (from International I believe) that was used in South America and in some commercial applications here. They both scrapped the halfton diesel idea when the economy tanked unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears