A few novice questions about the 04 Dll

Disco2Guy

Observer
I'm actually switching to some Dunlop Mud Rovers this Saturday that are 235/85/r16. They will be mounted on my 16x8 steelies, and given a good break-in at Hollister the same day. I'll report back with pics and impressions.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Infact they build lots of the no name brands.
Right, but that doens't mean they invest the same time and money in development and materials as they do with their own branded tires. I'm just saying that knowing what I know about tires, I will not buy a "no-name" tire.

evilfij

Explorer
Well, whatever, but the biggest issue is that with that tire on the alloys is that the lip of the alloys is very much exposed and can easily damage the rim and it makes the tires more prone to unseat from the bead (which almost never happens on rover alloy wheels, but is still a concern).

ExpeditionOz

I got a full set of Cooper Discoverer Sure Trac (S/T) 245/75R16 tyres about two months after buying my 2001 D2 and clocked up just over 120,000km (75,000 miles) on them before i finally had to change them. During that time i didn't even get one puncture, and that included doing some pretty varied and tortuous trips through the Australian outback and mountains.

Oh yeah...i replaced them with another set of identical Coopers and don't think i'll ever switch to another brand ;)

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, the wear is incredible. I think I've done about 20,000km on them, and they're only about 20% worn.

leeawalden

Adventurer
Here is my 04 with 245/75/16's on stock suspension and then on the RTE/OME 2" lift. I like the 245's on stock suspension but IMO they look a little small on the lift. The tires are Maxxis Buckshot's, I liked them, they wore really well and weren't too noisy. They were a 10 ply tire, and I got the 5 mounted/balanced for 550$ so it was hard to beat that deal.

Attachments

• P1010069.JPG
    P1010069.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Roof Rack.jpg
    Roof Rack.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 60
  • P1010098.JPG
    P1010098.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 66

leeawalden

Adventurer
haha its Lee, my girlfriends name is Leah haha.

They are Turtle Covers, LTD. They are out of the UK, I found them on ebay a few years ago, but I think they are still around...try this ebay site:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Turtle-Covers__W0QQ_sidZ162534799?_nkw=Land+Rover

He has gone up a tad in his price, but you can order them in any color and in the nylon, or breathable polyester. I chose them in the nylon and they are 100% waterproof and I haven't had any problems yet. I have seen the factory covers and I think these are a lilttle better made IMHO.

edit:

he used to make covers for the rear as well, I didn't buy any but I am sure he can still do them. Just email him.

Last edited:

michaels

Explorer
haha its Lee, my girlfriends name is Leah haha.

They are Turtle Covers, LTD. They are out of the UK, I found them on ebay a few years ago, but I think they are still around...try this ebay site:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Turtle-Covers__W0QQ_sidZ162534799?_nkw=Land+Rover

He has gone up a tad in his price, but you can order them in any color and in the nylon, or breathable polyester. I chose them in the nylon and they are 100% waterproof and I haven't had any problems yet. I have seen the factory covers and I think these are a lilttle better made IMHO.

edit:

he used to make covers for the rear as well, I didn't buy any but I am sure he can still do them. Just email him.

lee, what did he charge you for shipping?

the 245 75s will fit fine on the rear door?

anyone recommend a place to get 16in D2 wheels? ebay has them for $150 looking for the S model 03/04 16s

thanks for the help everyone!

I'm going to go with the Cooper Stts. They made these in 18inches a few years back before the economy dumped and Cooper has been losing money like crazy

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
My spare on the door fits, but just barely. It kisses the bumper as you close the door.

$150 for 4 03/04 wheels? Or $150 each?

I suggest getting steel wheels if you're really going to use it. With the skinny tires, the alloys get wrecked.

FortyMileDesert

Adventurer
My spare on the door fits, but just barely. It kisses the bumper as you close the door.

I suggest getting steel wheels if you're really going to use it. With the skinny tires, the alloys get wrecked.

1. Remove rear door inner panel.
2. Remove water liner.
3. Remove spare tire.
4. Remove six bolts, nuts and washers.
5. Rotate tire mount 180 degrees.
6. Redrill two center holes on mount to match door.
7. Remove and rotate wiper enough to clear tire mount.
8. Reinstall mount, bolts, washer, nuts, water liner and inner panel.
9. Go to dealer and buy new plastic clips that you broke.

Will clear 265/75R-16 with about an inch to spare.

Takes about 45 minutes or less.

one fifty for one rim and one fifty for each tire - $300 a wheel

anyone know what Ho's suspension/tiresize set up is?

leeawalden

Adventurer
from the EE site:

For example, Ho's Disco2 is fitted with 751 front springs and 763 rear springs, which provide a 3" lift on the Disco2. Even under the weight of the Superwinch X-9, ARB Freezer/Fridge, 15-lb. Power Tank, Safety Devices Highlander Roof Rack, and loaded Pelican Cases, this truck is not sagging under the weight. The 235/85-16 size Michelin XPS Traction tires also give more trail clearance without ruining the the vehicle's overall proportions.

and...

Ho's Disco2 was fitted with Old Man Emu springs but had a 3" lift over the factory height. He is able to achieve this 3" of lift by fitting 751 springs in the front, 763 springs in the rear. Shocks on Ho's Disco2 are the Old Man Emu N107 and N108 Nitrocharger Shock Absorbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman