a few questions about my 08 tacoma

as the title says i have a few questions.

1) can i run OME 885's on stock or bilstein 5100 adjustables (set at stock setting) shocks?

2) where can i find a good set of affordable skid plates? i like the budbuilts and i am sure they are high quality, but $725 before shipping seems pretty steep.

3) if i bouild a custom front bumper, how will it effect my air bag?

:coffeedrink:

i know its alot,s o when ever you get time. thanks.

jake

Applejack

Explorer
Custom bumpers can effect the air bags. I've heard stories of them going off prematurely and delayed, so........
That being said, ARB is the only aftermarket bumper manufacturer that I know of that has addressed this issue, while it gives me peace of mind, others run different bumpers such as shrockworks with no issues. So basically it's a gamble. If it's a big concern to you as it was to me, just buy an ARB.

i have read that arb was compatible w/ the air bag. but just like the skid plates its hard for me spend that kind of money right now. plus i have some steel layign around and would like to try out my welding skills. might hhave o ttry them out on theh plates to. thanks

jake

robert

Expedition Leader
If' I'm not mistaken, OME's springs and shocks need to go together due to propriety sizing (they're made for each other).

All-Pro makes armor for your truck http://www.allprooffroad.com/05tacomatrailarmor/05tacomaskidplates

As noted, ARB actually test their bumper to work with the airbags. IIRC, TJM used to also, but they pulled out of the US market last I heard. There are plenty of manufacturers out there who you should be able to get ideas from, and their product "should" work with the airbags, but to the best of my knowledge none of them wreck a couple of trucks to try it.

Last edited:
i may try to call wheelers to find out about the shocks. i dont necessarilly neeed my air bag to function i just want to know if i bump a tree in the woods with a custom bumper will it go off? thanks

jake

#4) where can i find info on mym trucks axles, tranny, t-case? specifics like spline counts, axle diameter, main shaft diameter, ect...? i am debating on a lock rite fro the rear and would like to know a litle more about theh axel i have (as well as WHICH axle i have) be fore purchasing. thanks

jake

Loober

Adventurer
This is not a cheap hobby, either look around and try to find used stuff or save up till you can afford the right stuff, but DO NOT get cheap stuff just cuz you cannot afford the good stuff. With all this you will find out the hard way and quick that you get what you pay for.

As far as skid plates go, if you have skills and resources and can be fabricated quite easily and cheap. The bumper...absolutely go with the ARB, astheatics, functionality, safety, no one competes

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
If you want beef and cheap - I'd say the Downey skid is probably your best bet. From what I've read, fitament isn't precise, and you'll need to modify it if you want to do things like change your oil.... Can't beat the price though.

And yes you can run your 885's with stock shocks.

Rob O

Adventurer
The reason for pairing OME springs with OME shocks isn't because of fitment (i.e., 885s only work with OME shocks). Rather, it's that they were engineered to work together ... thus the N142S fronts shocks are valved to properly match the 885's spring rates (and with the Tacoma in mind specifically, for that application).

Mismatching shock valving and spring rates can result in less than optimal performance and degraded ride quality (true of any shock/spring combo ... be it car, truck or whatever). Not only that, your shocks are more likely to wear out faster if they're not properly mated to the springs (common when people use aftermarket springs with stock dampers to, in theory, save money).

That said, You can run 885s with 5100s; plenty of people running that setup and many recommend it over 885s with OME N142 dampers.

Last edited:

Rob O

Adventurer
that's why I put can in italics....:ylsmoke:

Heh ... my comment wasn't aimed at yours; I didn't even see it in fact. I scanned through posts thus far and none addressed this issue (only saw the first part of yours about skids) ... so I figured I'd jump in. The stock shock comment was just coincidence. :)

sounds liek i am going with the 5100's w/ my 885's. thanks for the info everyone.

i got to looking at the under side of my truck today and i think that i am going to try and make my own plates. i thinki can get some plate pretty cheap so i going to try that route. thanks again

jake

was talking to local mechanic and said that i would need my "factory top hats" in conjuction with the 885's and 5100's. if this is the case, does any one have the part number for these? what i would like to have is no down time with my truck. meaning, dropping off all my parts (885,5100, ect...) to the garage to have them put togeher, pick them up on a friday, and install them on a saturday. yes i know that i could ahve the shop do it but i would like to do as much my self as i can.

picked up some 1/4" palte today to make my skids. does any one know what size bolts are used to bolt on the factory skids? i need to know the diameter so i can buy the appropriate stainless bolt.

thanks
jake

Rob O

Adventurer
was talking to local mechanic and said that i would need my "factory top hats" in conjuction with the 885's and 5100's. if this is the case, does any one have the part number for these? what i would like to have is no down time with my truck. meaning, dropping off all my parts (885,5100, ect...) to the garage to have them put togeher, pick them up on a friday, and install them on a saturday. yes i know that i could ahve the shop do it but i would like to do as much my self as i can.

picked up some 1/4" palte today to make my skids. does any one know what size bolts are used to bolt on the factory skids? i need to know the diameter so i can buy the appropriate stainless bolt.

thanks
jake

Not sure of the part number offhand, but Wheelers (one example) will pre-assemble the fronts -- spring, shock and OE tops -- before shipping for an additional fee ... if you haven't ordered them all ready.

yea, i already have the springs that i ordered from wheelers, so that is kinda out. may try to get ahold of them about the factory tops. thanks

jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12