a few questions about V-strom and Aprilia

Cody1771

Explorer
Hey people, just wondering if i could get a few questions answered, first off is about the V-strom

how does it hold up to off highway use? have there been any issues with breakages or poor handling? how is the throttle response? im use to riding fairly snappy bikes and the throttle response of a KLR is a little weak for what i like.

2nd, does anyone ride the 2011 Aprilia Pegaso 650 trail? i took one for a test ride and really like how it handled, but there is very little information available on here from a adventure riders prospective. any input would be greatly apreciated :)

Cody1771

Explorer
is there a way of changing from a vacuum operated throttle to a cable operated? i just find the throttle response of the KLR lacking.

robert

Expedition Leader
I'm assuming you're talking about the 650 V-strom. They are pretty peppy up to around 80mph with one person then up to around 95 is a bit slower to reach. Top speed is supposed to be around 124 or so but I'm not manly enough to have ever tried that. Fuel injection rocks! I love not having to tinker with it at different elevations.

Handling is surprisingly good and can be made even better with stickier tires, improved springs for your weight and a fork brace (there's a guy on the Strom forum and ADV who sells quality ones for a good price). I went the cheaper route of upgrading my rear spring instead of the whole shock but for the price I can't complain. If I was putting more loaded miles on it or canyon carving I'd upgrade further.

On forestry service roads they're OK but they're definitely not offroad bikes although you can find some folks who put TKCs on them and ride them hard. They are tall and relatively heavy bikes (for offroad) although you won't feel the weight so much on road. If you've never ridden a bike with ABS brakes off pavement it takes some getting used to and even then it's not really fun. There are mods you can do to switch it off since they don't feel the need to add a switch from the factory like BMW.

Unless they've upgraded it, the stock windshield sucks if you're over 5'8"; I switched to the Givi and am happy with it. The stock seat sucks too; I'm running a Sargeant and am pretty happy with it. Be sure to add the factory handguards/wind deflectors for cooler weather riding.

The Wee's biggest weakness is its charging system- you aren't going to run a lot of accessories from it. Add a switch to cut one of the headlights off (this bike has great lights) and that'll help. Use LED lighting for your extra lights.

Hey people, just wondering if i could get a few questions answered, first off is about the V-strom

how does it hold up to off highway use? have there been any issues with breakages or poor handling? how is the throttle response? im use to riding fairly snappy bikes and the throttle response of a KLR is a little weak for what i like.

2nd, does anyone ride the 2011 Aprilia Pegaso 650 trail? i took one for a test ride and really like how it handled, but there is very little information available on here from a adventure riders prospective. any input would be greatly apreciated :)

I've got 10k miles on my '09 Strom.

Off highway- Handles well for a BIG bike off highway. Obviously not as good as more dirt-oriented dual sports. In fact, I would venture to say this is the most street-oriented dual sport on the market.

On highway- Handles better than any other dual sport on the highway. In it's class, it will smoke any other dual sport when it comes to the twisties.

Breakage/Poor handling- Very top heavy, and low ground clearance will make it a poor choice for more technical terrain. It's also a Suzuki, therefor normal japanese bike maintenance schedule should be observed (add gas, check oil, adjust clutch, repeat...) Many Strom riders raise the forks (lower the angle of the front) due to slightly better aerodynamic gain, and better stability over 60mph (I kept mine the same and put a 1" lift in back, producing the same positive gain in aerodynamics, with a gain in ground clearance because I am tall).

Other than my bike having a few strange issues (ignition switch replaced, clutch burning out), these bikes are known for going and going.

I have no information to help with the Aprilia, in fact I never knew they had a bike in that class until tonight.

Unless they've upgraded it, the stock windshield sucks if you're over 5'8"; I switched to the Givi and am happy with it.

Great points made. Just wanted to focus on this, it appears it's not as much the windshield as it's the rear mirrors. I have read varying results of success with a stock windshield and KTM mirrors (round), or dumping the mirrors altogether.

About speed, I have had it up to GPS indicated 120mph with a tight tuck, and before I modded it for off road duty. I can't get it above 115mph after crash bars, skidplate, knobbies, and luggage.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I only just bought this as a bit of a project and am a little new to the VStorms but one thing I could never say is that they lack throttle response. This one has instant power......maybe the aftermarket exhaust has helped a bit.

As you can see, the previous owner has had a bit of a go at trying to set it up more for offroad but I think I'll put it back on to the original wheels with tubeless tyres....mainly to get a wider front tyre as there is plenty of sand here. The front White Power forks work so I'll persist with them.......maybe just valve them a little stiffer and a friend that makes our truck shocks is going to build me an adjustable rear air shock. Plan to make a decent Dakar style fairing one day and replace the bashplate too .

6052275685_11de41042d_z.jpg

Good luck with your research Cody1771 .......Just go for a ride on one. They are not the sort of bike that takes long to figure out....... 5 minutes and you'll know if it's you or not. There are no hidden secrets. Absolutely bulletproof, gutsy and very fuel efficient motor and there would be 1000's of owners who would agree with that. Just see if you're happy with the weight. If you want to take technical trails all the time buy something else.........if you want to eat up 100's of miles of dirt roads for days on end buy a Strom.

Last edited:

Cody1771

Explorer
yeah i will go and test ride one when i get off the ship in sept, there are crazy deals on the 2011 models at the local dealership,
if you want to eat up 100's of miles of dirt roads for days on end buy a Strom.
sounds exactly what im looking for, if i want to rip technical trails i would buy a dirt bike... which i probably will anyways lol. thanks for all the great advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears