A little different: 2012 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Hey guys! So after years of wanting a four wheeler, I finally broke down and bought one at the end of November. I was originally looking for a really clean used one, but people were asking far too much for the nice ones, and the ones that were fairly reasonable were less than clean (clean being well maintained and in decent shape, not actual cleanliness). After checking out a couple of dealerships, I finally got a good deal on a brand new Sportsman and am extremely happy with the purchase.

A couple of quick pics of before:

002-1.jpg

003.jpg

So far I have added the Coleman cargo bag and fender bag, Pure Polaris front and rear rack extenders and hand guards, and bought it with a 2500 LBS. Polaris winch and Glacier 60" snow plow (ignore my messy garage. It's kind of the catchall of the property :D).

005_zps3cb6debd.jpg

001-1_zpsfd29b90f.jpg

002-2_zps333f6252.jpg

And current mileage as of 1/3/13.

003-1_zps0fc66a66.jpg

So far, I have tools, some basic recovery equipment, spare fuel storage and paperwork on board. I plan on using this machine to explore my state, so a basic GPS unit will be mounted as well, with some more gear to better suit myself for the elements/exploration. My pickup (which can be found over in the Domestic section) will be the hauler and main base camp for when I'm out of state, which should be in another couple of months. This weekend, it will be going in for it's first service after break in, and then hopefully Sunday (weather and errand running permitting) I will be going out all day to go play in the snow.

Hopefully I put this in the right section. I know it's not going to take me cross country, but there's plenty of exploring to do here in beautiful NW Montana, and as mentioned, I'll be going out of state in a couple of months for a week or two. If it's alright, I'll keep updating this thread as I go. Nothing major will go down with this machine as it's fairly capable (or as capable as I need it to be) as it is. Better tires later on and some other kit perhaps, but no lifts or anything like that.

huntertibbs

That's a nice looking quad, welcome to the addiction. I purchased mine primarily for hunting but my 2 year old loves to ride, so we get to take it 2-3 times a week as long as we have good weather

Marines don't die, they go to hell and regroup

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Very nice! I've got a 2008 Honda Rancher 420 ES 4x4 that I bought new. I haven't been able to ride it just a whole lot with work and grad school, but I intend to use it to explore the Ozarks and surrounding areas here pretty soon. I'm interested to see your set up as I intend to modify mine a little bit to better suit my needs. Enjoy your new 4wheeler!

11-30-08_1607.jpg

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
That Sportsman will serve you well! I have a '94 Sportsman 400, and it's still going strong.

But the ride of the newer ones is sooo sweet! Had a chance to drive my mother in laws Sportsman (2010 or '11 model) and was amazed at how smooth it is!

Extremely capable stock, I don't even see a need to modify one, other than to replace the tires as they wear out!

Enjoy!

Jimmeh

Very nice! I've got a 2008 Honda Rancher 420 ES 4x4 that I bought new. I haven't been able to ride it just a whole lot with work and grad school, but I intend to use it to explore the Ozarks and surrounding areas here pretty soon. I'm interested to see your set up as I intend to modify mine a little bit to better suit my needs. Enjoy your new 4wheeler!

11-30-08_1607.jpg

Nice machine! I rode one for a little while (08 model as well) until a friend of mine wrecked it (it was his spare anyway, lol). I would have actually gotten a Honda, but the price just wasn't right.

That Sportsman will serve you well! I have a '94 Sportsman 400, and it's still going strong.

But the ride of the newer ones is sooo sweet! Had a chance to drive my mother in laws Sportsman (2010 or '11 model) and was amazed at how smooth it is!

Extremely capable stock, I don't even see a need to modify one, other than to replace the tires as they wear out!

Enjoy!

The ride is what had me hooked. It feels even more comfortable than my pickup on road. I don't plan on doing anything to the suspension. Just to make riding it further more easily done.

Jimmeh

Heading out tomorrow for some more trail riding (got a Go Pro now so we can get some vids up!), but heres just a couple of pics from the last couple of weekends:

Picture0115131923_1_zps0b33eed6.jpg

Picture0115131923_2_zpsf12fc8a1.jpg

Picture0119131904_1_zpsb0224f0e.jpg

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12