A Little Different M416 Trailer Build

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Thank you Bloomer..

I was able to get the tongue box mounted, switch panel made and put in place, and wires ran into the tongue box.
I then fired up the lights, they all work, Yes!
I also had the chance to mess around with the solar panel, seems to charge very well. I hung it in front of the lid to test it out, but it can easily be put anywhere. Thanks again overlandsolar.com
I will keep it stored inside the tongue box...

Next steps are to purchase a large propane tank and then make a mount for it.
I am on the fence as to whether or not I will install gas and water can, tanks, rotopax, etc, still need to think that one through if I even do it at all...
Trailerpic1.jpgTrailerpic2.jpgTrailerpic3.jpgTrailerpic4.jpgTrailerpic5.jpgTrailerpic6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Haven't had time to knock out much lately.
Started on a propane tank holder this weekend. It will hold a standard bbq propane tank.
Using 16 gauge steel, broke out the dimple die set again.
Also picked up a Harbor Freight brake 36 inch with their 20% coupon. Pretty good brake for the price. Going to use it to bend up the propane tank holder for starters...
Hope to get to finish this little project next weekend

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Finished bending and welding up the propane tank holder then hit it with Herculiner to match the tongue box on the front.
Now to wait for it to dry then bolt it up in front of the tongue box. The dimple-die'd holes will allow me to run a chain through the hole to the propane tank to secure it.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
Ended up scratching the propane tank holder idea.
Found a 7 gallon horizontal tank on offerup. Sanded it, painted and set it up front.
This will give me 2 more gallons than I expected and looks better...

dreadlocks

yeah good luck getting that filled up at any retail shop.. that black paint is going to cause the over pressure device to release gas sitting in the sun, at best.. worst of course a fire or boom.

They wont accept rusty tanks, not because rust compromises the tank but because the rust is dark and not reflecting heat.

Last edited:

old_CWO

NFPA 58 states that LP systems should be painted a light reflecting color unless in a very cold environment. For tanks the standard acceptable colors are white/off-white, silver or light gray.

I believe you have a real potential kaboom hazard there. It does look good color matched, but safety first!

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
NFPA 58 states that LP systems should be painted a light reflecting color unless in a very cold environment. For tanks the standard acceptable colors are white/off-white, silver or light gray.

I believe you have a real potential kaboom hazard there. It does look good color matched, but safety first!

Gotcha, I am taking it to a propane tank 'shop' tomorrow (Ferrell Gas) to get a new valve and gauge put on it and based off of the comments they will probably tell me the same thing about the color.
Probably going to have to repaint this then... More to come after I visit the propane tank dealer with it....
thank you for the feedback I appreciate it. Ka-boom would suck.....

Last edited:

old_CWO

Gotcha, I am taking it to a propane tank 'shop' tomorrow (Ferrell Gas) to get a new valve and gauge put on it and based off of the comments they will probably tell me the same thing about the color.
Probably going to have to repaint this then... More to come after I visit the propane tank dealer with it....
thank you for the feedback I appreciate it. Ka-boom would suck.....

No problem. I generally dislike pearl clutching internet safety nannies, but in this case the hazard is legitimate. I am glad you're getting it checked out.

Don't forget to post the pics after you paint it again!

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
No problem. I generally dislike pearl clutching internet safety nannies, but in this case the hazard is legitimate. I am glad you're getting it checked out.

Don't forget to post the pics after you paint it again!

Winner winner chicken dinner. Took it in, they confirmed that black is a gamble and to paint it a lighter color. I think I will go with just a bright white and call it good.
I left the tank at the shop so they can test it, put on a new valve and gauge. I pick it up Friday and will repaint it this weekend...
Good call, thank you again....

bshinn

Looks good! I would rethink the mounting points though, those washers would rip through that expanded metal pretty easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan