A little overwhelming...

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Zelatore and AJM, thanks a lot for your responses. I know some of the items I listed were a reach in regards to their tie with MPG's, but figured it wouldn't hurt to paint the full picture.

Maybe it really is as simply as the tires. Truth be told, the tires were put on in Oct and I hadn't added/removed air until the day we were leaving Ohio over MLK weekend. They didn't even look low, but given how cold it had been that morning(single digits, cold for us haha) I decided to give them a little extra air for the long highway drive home. Coincidentally, that drive back is in when I first noticed the horrible gas mileage. Definitely don't think I overinflated, theyre sitting around 43-46psi.

All fluids and filters were changed, back in October. Not sure about the state of the plugs, I guess I'll look into that next.

Thanks again gents!

Oh yeah Don, the tires are Range D, 285/60/18 KO2's.

Last edited:

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Dedicated D3 tool kit?

Hey guys,

Seems as if buying stuff for our rigs is a never-ending journey. Cant remember who said it, but at some point early in this thread, there was a reference to bank accounts/statements "glowing from all the CC charges" hahaha. Thankfully, my wife and I have gotten some financial stuff squared away and I'm working on completing the purchase list that you guys suggested. Something I thought should be added, and I guess is a big "duh" for most of you, is a tool kit dedicated to the D3. I'm talking wrenches, sockets, etc. Have any of you long-term owners narrowed down a kit to the essentials? not having a garage and limited indoor storage space limits our possessions(a good thing), but would love to a tool-roll suited just for the truck.

Thanks gents!

Ray_G

Explorer
Hey guys,

Seems as if buying stuff for our rigs is a never-ending journey. Cant remember who said it, but at some point early in this thread, there was a reference to bank accounts/statements "glowing from all the CC charges" hahaha. Thankfully, my wife and I have gotten some financial stuff squared away and I'm working on completing the purchase list that you guys suggested. Something I thought should be added, and I guess is a big "duh" for most of you, is a tool kit dedicated to the D3. I'm talking wrenches, sockets, etc. Have any of you long-term owners narrowed down a kit to the essentials? not having a garage and limited indoor storage space limits our possessions(a good thing), but would love to a tool-roll suited just for the truck.

Thanks gents!

Somewhere in my build thread (s) I have my layout for both my D1 & my D3. My D1's was first so by the time the 3 came along I knew what I used and how I liked stuff stored. Each fits into a 1510 sized case and uses tool rolls, wrench rolls, etc for organization. Single best tip I've used over the years is if I pull something out of my garage that is critical for repairing or maintaining the truck that item will live in my onboard tool kit (this is a relative statement, meaning wrenches, socket sizes, pliers, etc-not welders & the like!).

Update, added some pics as I got my laptop in the fight here on the road:
IMGP3063.jpg
Tool Peli laid out.jpg
Tool Peli packed.jpg
In terms of 'essentials' I view that as a good metric socket set (I prefer SK, the green plastic case is my 1/4 set, augmented with specific 3/8 sockets on an organizer bar. I have sets of both standard and ratcheting metric wrenches, a range of screwdrivers, pliers, etc. A deliberate electrical kit with wire strippers, crimpers, multimeter, fuses, tape, etc. Dead blow hammer, absurdly large flathead, small hacksaw, and pry bar rest along the side. Specific sizes of wrenches borne from previous work (36mm fan clutch removal, 22mm & 23mm impact sockets + breaker bar for lug nuts, etc) are based off the adage related above about if its necessary to do something it stays in the truck. Gorilla tape, latex gloves, headlamp + a magnetic work lamp all round it out off the top of my head.
r-
Ray

Last edited:

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Awesome Ray! I remember seeing pics of a setup in somebody's build theed but couldn't remember who. Turns out it was yours. Thanks for the plug and pics!

Ps. Love how the black wheels turned out for you!

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
So, UPS and FedEx have been quite busy around here lately! :wings: Finally got some of the "essentials". Ok maybe not the Trasharoo, but after the last outing when my buddy had to keep a full trash bag of beer bottles/cans in his JK, I felt it necessary to buy one. Not pictured, a set of two Maxsa Escaper Buddy. At $140 shipped Amazon Prime, I just had to try them. If and when they fail, I might consider Maxtrax. Might.
20160225_210151.jpg
Today's deliveries were great. Farmtek Polymax to "floor" the BajaRack. Idea and product direction courtesy of DiscoDavis! Thanks for answering all of my annoying PM's Connor. And I was finally able to track down a decently priced, matching 5th wheel. Will get the tire installed Thu/Fri of this week.
2016-02-29 22.13.24.jpg
A lil help to get it all lined up properly. :)
2016-02-29 21.34.43.jpg
And the finished product. Very pleased with how it turned out. Actually was the first time I had been up on the rack. Didn't like the idea of trying to get up there, with no ladder and only horizontal bars. Ladder should be delivered by Tue/Wed.
2016-02-29 22.14.40.jpg

A few other goodies coming in the next day or two. 2 AUX lights, bought from a fellow ExPo member, the FrontRunner ladder and a BajaRack spare tire mount. After the elation of the new toys wears off I'll aggressively start checking off some maintenance to-dos. Wanna make sure she's all ready for the Sand Rover Rally down in Florida in early April.

iowalr4

Adventurer
Welcome to the polymax flooring club...haha. Great stuff really. It is light, strong and no rust worries. If you use heavy duty zip ties to secure it, make sure and check them (or replace them) about every year or so. They can get a bit brittle. I have also used u-brackets and stainless steel zip ties, but the huge plastic zip ties are just really easy and strong to use.

IMG_20150610_193705_zpsdlgebu3a.jpg

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Just passing along ideas I undoubtedly "borrowed" from what others have done ;). Looks great! Nice call on the RTT model Baja.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Ahhhhh yes mbwesner! I do recall seeing pics of your truck/roof rack system in a different thread, not too long after I joined ExPo last year. Remember thinking how much I liked the floor idea, but had forgotten about it until I saw DDavis' IG page! It seems like the perfect solution for the racks. Excited to see how much more use I get out of the rack now. I found a big bundle(probably 75-100) HD black zipties on a random boxcar at work a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the tip on changing every year or so.

Connor,
Undoubtedly, we're all in this mod game together. Love how slick the process was. You were right though, I should have ordered 3 panels. Started with two, and I'm already wanting a 3rd for the "basket" area of the rack. Honestly, I do like the flat section of the rack even though I doubt Ill ever have a RTT up there. I do kind of wish that the entire thing was flat, the basket on my rack doesn't appear to be constructed the way the pics on BR's website implies. Maybe I looked at their site wrong, but the basket on my rack is utterly useless, other than a divider. Oh well, got a really good deal on it, and I'm happy overall. Keep the build thread coming man, your attention to detail is sometimes staggering(in a good way, haha).

Jwestpro

Explorer
4- yes, a rack will hurt mileage as well, again more at highway speeds. I can't say exactly how much but maybe 1 mpg? I didn't log the change when I installed mine.

In my experience, the rack actually makes a pretty big difference above 60/70, and very much so if in areas where the speed limit is 70 and you want to run 80. All of it ads up of course like the weight and tire tread design but I'd driven across the US NC-WA 3 round trips with and without the rack. It can average 18+ without the rack and not taking my time, more like barely not getting tickets. With the rack it's lucky to hold 16 but that's only if some areas are 60 mph zones, more like 15 ish.
Add the roof tent and it'll never see over 15 at those speeds.

However, on a long coastal trip where almost no speeds were ever over 60, mostly 55 zones and twisty enough to hold speeds down, it got nearly 19 even with the roof tent.

I think that the LR3 in particular with it's transmission just doesn't do so well over 65 ish. I've found the larger tire improves mpg but only if taking it easy and rolling along more than stop/starting a lot.

Direction matters too though...out west we have these predominant winds such that one trip west bound through the Dakotas, MT where I could go 80 mph with no fear of tickets against the headwind, the mpg was barely over 11.

zelatore

Explorer
In my experience, the rack actually makes a pretty big difference above 60/70, and very much so if in areas where the speed limit is 70 and you want to run 80. All of it ads up of course like the weight and tire tread design but I'd driven across the US NC-WA 3 round trips with and without the rack. It can average 18+ without the rack and not taking my time, more like barely not getting tickets. With the rack it's lucky to hold 16 but that's only if some areas are 60 mph zones, more like 15 ish.
Add the roof tent and it'll never see over 15 at those speeds.

However, on a long coastal trip where almost no speeds were ever over 60, mostly 55 zones and twisty enough to hold speeds down, it got nearly 19 even with the roof tent.

I think that the LR3 in particular with it's transmission just doesn't do so well over 65 ish. I've found the larger tire improves mpg but only if taking it easy and rolling along more than stop/starting a lot.

Direction matters too though...out west we have these predominant winds such that one trip west bound through the Dakotas, MT where I could go 80 mph with no fear of tickets against the headwind, the mpg was barely over 11.

I didn't measure the hit from my rack, but I'm also running a lower profile rack than most so those with the big 'ol Baja Racks or similar 'expedition' style racks will certainly feel it more than me.

iowalr4

Adventurer
Some more ideas for you...

I actually think having the polymax flooring helps with wind resistance a bit. It doesn't allow as much disruption on the rear parts of the rack. The key thing you need though is a very good wind fairing. It helps a lot with noise and must be doing pretty well with aero/mpg as well.

I have goodyear 31.5" AT tires on 18" wheels on my 13' V8 LR4, with the full rack, ladder, sliders with steps and all the underbody aero stuff taken off (or ripped off) and I can still get 17/18 mpg if the wind isn't coming at me too hard at 65/70 mph. (Just got almost 18 with a slight tail wind about a week ago at 65/70mph with current gear)

12f4ae13-8381-4375-a998-601220dc03e1_zps6d2qxmxh.jpg

I even found a single row LED lightbar that fits under the fairing, adds no noise, and the roof blocks the bleed onto the hood. It doesn't project out as far as the brights, but its fun to have off-road to light up an area. It was $80, so don't care about it being too amazing. Also have some LED pods on the rear rack now that are great for camp setup at night and are on remote. I can light up camp from the tent with the remote.

IMG_20151226_180415_zpsz49kqkks.jpg

IMG_20151227_132602_zpsy0vewb0h.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Thanks for more feedback on the MPGs and other ideas. Rear spot/utility lights are the last thing I'm wanting to add to mine, at least for now. Last time I went out with some buddies, it would have been very helpful on the trail at night, when we had to reverse due to a HUGE fallen tree across our path. I ended up just popping the tailgates open. Combo of the incredibly large viewing hole, and just enough brightness from the license plate light shining, I was able to navigate comfortably. Not too mention the many camping benefits of the rear light.

I typically hate the way light bars look aesthetically, compared to traditional round lights, but the way you have yours mounted looks pretty good.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Frontrunner Rear Ladder

Given that today is my Friday AND I knew that the ladder would be waiting on me when I got home, today was a great day. Especially with how easily and quick the ladder mounts. VERY clear and easily understandable instructions came in the box making this one of my fave mods to date. Looks like a proper Discovery now!
2016-03-02 20.13.42.jpg
2016-03-02 20.12.46.jpg

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Been a long time since Ive updated this. Hope to add some more soon. I kind of went through a lull phase with our LR3. Given that it IS our main family car, a DD and we do often use the 3rd row I found myself really wanting a 3rd vehicle of some kind. Something I could toy and tinker with, with no regard for issues like seating capacity and comfort. One of the issues is that we live in downtown Atlanta, street park, no garage, and share a rear driveway with 2 neighbors. Space for a 3rd vehicle is slim. After LOTs of reading, searching for and comparing prices on vehicles and parts/mods we've decided to keep the LR as a fam ride and to double as my fun truck. The truth is, I'm not able to take it out as much as Id like. A ridiculous work schedule, a wife who gets motion sick from just driving around town sometimes and an almost 3yr old who has various activities throughout the week (usually my weekends fall on weekdays) its challenging to get away. Other than some maintenance items, the only mods I've made so far are the basic ones.

- AT tires
- roof rack
- rear ladder
- removed the cheesy badges on the back, and just added the "Discovery 3" as well as changed all exterior green ovals to the black versions

I'm in the process of adding, or strongly thinking about...

- signed up for the 4wd 101 class April 8th at UORTC
- Rock sliders. Terrafirma set arriving Thu/Fri
- Either a RTE or TR front winch bumper
- winch
- Rear tire swingout
- skid plates

I contacted a local fab shop about the rear swingout. Hope they can create something like the one PerkJ made for a somewhat reasonable cost. I work for the railroad and the other night stumbled across this piece of steel (I'll have to add the pic from my phone in a minute). But it measures (W:23.5", L:62", and its 1/8" thick). I know nothing of welding/fab work, would that thickness be adeqaute(too much?) for them to use for the "bumper plate" that would be welded to the frame for the rear swingout? and if its not proper for the swingout, it could find a home as a skid of some kind yeah?

2fb476ab7c3f2f44ad5782661f7769fd.jpg

I hope to keep this thread updated with more pics, and write-ups. I do find the LR bug to continually infect me with its sickness.The longer we own the 3, the more I LOVE it despite the quirks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12