A mini laptop or Ipad as my trail GPS?

jgeck90

Hey guys i am looking for a GPS to guide my Jeep group through trails. I just got the idea of buying a HP Mini or a Ipad. Those cost the same as a GPS and you get a whole computer. Can you guys think of any down side of using a mini HP/Ipad for the trails? Am i lacking any options that you get on a GPS and not on a computer? The only down side i can think of is the computer taking up room...even though it is a mini computer it still will take up a significant amount of room! I can fabricate something up to where it will not be a problem though. I was looking at the delorme software. Does anyone have this or use it?
http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DEL...pses=forge_prod=B0AZ4FMTxkOavDfr21tHXzO-%3AS~

It comes with a receiver too. How does that work? Is that what communicates with the satellites? Or would i have to have internet connection?

Suggestions, Answers, And opinions will be Greatly appreciated.

The good thing about having a computer is i could back up all my pictures while on the trail. I will not have to worry about filling a SD card or swapping out cards. I take a lot of video and pictures too.

Last edited:

jgeck90

I am still open to suggestions as far as a Garmin GPS. SD cards are cheap and i can just swap them out. The new Garmin Montana looks really cool and it seems like its only the hand held GPS that has all the good features. I am no necessarily looking for a handheld GPS because whatever it is will stay in the vehicle at all times. I do not do hiking or biking etc...

Last edited:

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I use a netbook and delorme Topo 9, just as you've linked there. It works offline (the maps are stored on your computer), you just need to put the GPS receiver near a window so it can get a lock on the satellites.

An iPad will be lighter and thinner than a netbook, but the quality of software when compared to a windows netbook isn't really close - the netbook has a lot more options available. You can also get netbooks with 3G, but you would have to pay for a data plan.

jgeck90

Does anyone have a recommendation on a tablet PC for this something with a keyboard would be nice but i could usb one or bluetooth. I dont want to spend much more than about 400 for the pc.
Thanks for the link. Any others that will give me some info would be greatly appreciated. I tried to search but did not find much.

with that topo 9, can i add POI's? There is a trail that i have planned which has many obstacles for example "chicken rock" and i want to remember the names....etc.

The delorme also works for streets too?

YukonRob

Adventurer
I tried to search but did not find much.

I know the subform is 43 pages long but it really is worth the investment of time to page through it. For myself, even threads that seem to only be tangentally related can cause that "ah ha!" moment, or lead me off on new ways of thinking.

It sounds like you have a budget ($400) and a requirement (run Delome). Only you can decide what is best for you - keyboard or touch screen, SSD or conventional HD, etc.

jgeck90

Budget of $400 for the PC itself. I would like a windows 7 tablet. Can anyone give me some suggestions?
I am a little flexible on the price..... I can get a bluetooth keyboard but USB ports would be nice.

Delorme seems like a very choice as far as mapping.

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Your best bet given your budget is to find a used small laptop and run Delorme. A tablet PC with even a buggy touchscreen (Microsoft just hasn't really figured the touch screen thing out...among other things ;)) is going to take 5-8X that assuming it has a real OS and a daylight viewable screen; been there done that.

Or find yourself a used Lowrance Baja 540C with the MapCreate7 map data...that's what I use and overall its a great system for on-trail nav-ing.

CruiserMog

In my humble opinion the ease of user interface provided by the iPad can not be competed with by any netbook. HEMA, PDFMaps, TopoMaps, MotionX, any of those do anything Delorme or any other Windows based software can, with the ease of zooming / panning with your fingers, VERY handy while underway, rather than trying to move a cursor around with a touchpad on a netbook. I've used both, no comparison as far as I'm concerned. You could come close to staying within budget, you'd pay $100 for a blue tooth GPS receiver if you didn't get the 3G version, cost difference therefore is probably a wash between the two models, and the 3G is awfully nice for connectivity whenever you have data signal on the road.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
The downside (as I see it) to the iPad is the fact that he won't be able to load many pics on to it, and the keyboard is going to be an extra expense, among other things...

I prefer to use a netbook with a proper hard drive with PLENTY of space. And they are cheap nowadays too!
I bought an Acer a couple years ago and loaded GPS software (can't remember what brand) and bought a little GPS "puck" that plugs into the USB port.
It was pretty cheap, has a 160 GB HD, so tons of room for videos, music, pictures, software, etc., etc...
It's small enough that it's not uncomfortable on a lap, (could buy or fab up a hard mount if you wanted to) and I was also able to fit it on top of the center console and between the 2 front seats of my Durango so my son could watch his vids on it while we were on the road.
Also, you bring it into your hotel room at the end of the day while on a road trip and use their free WIFI or buy one of those internet sticks and a yearly or monthly plan and you can bring that laptop right into your tent and surf the 'net, upload your trip report with pics etc.
And the iPad still won't run flash, that's a personal beef of mine and many other people. I think that's both annoying and stupid...
If you want to buy an iPad you have to choose EITHER just a WIFI version or a 3G/4G capable one at the time of purchase, then deal with paying for a yearly plan if that's the direction you want to go.
With the netbook you have more options and you're not stuck in one spot for the duration of your ownership..

From my perspective if you have a budget and are looking for 1 item, the laptop/netbook is so much more versatile than the iPad and it costs less.
The only thing you are giving up is the touch screen option, and each person has a different view as to what that is worth to them. ;)

jgeck90

Thanks much for the advice guys!
I will definitely go the Netbook route. If my budget allows i will get a tablet.

Can someone suggest a mount? One that will work on a cherokee?
I have been reading some good stuff about the RAM mount i believe it was but i see a bunch of different ones at various prices.
Thanks much!
Jeff

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
A couple of concerns...

I can't speak to the Ipad/Tablet issue but I would be cautious about relying on a netbook for primary navigation vs. a GPS.

Two concerns would be at the forefront: Vibration, and dust.

I travel with a Netbook but I only use it when stopped (usually at the end of the day.) When you are driving the HD will be spinning and my concern would be that prolonged driving on very bouncy or wash-boardy roads could damage or destroy the HD. Of course, if the HD is gone your computer is basically a paperweight. By contrast, most GPS units (AFAIK) store their memory in hard, non-moving media like an SD card or internal memory.

The second concern would also be an issue: We are often driving in very dusty environments. Unless you're using a Panasonice Toughbook which is sealed, dust can get into the computer. Again, the moving parts (primarily the HD) are the most vulnerable.

Handheld GPS units, OTOH, hare pretty much sealed and/or "rugged-ized" to protect against this.

Now I've seen other people running laptops/netbooks as navigation tools, but I would worry that the thing could crap out right in the middle of nowhere when you need it most.

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
When you are driving the HD will be spinning and my concern would be that prolonged driving on very bouncy or wash-boardy roads could damage or destroy the HD.

I have a mil-spec tablet which passes the drop test fine, but it's the as mentioned repeated bumps and bounces that still shuts mine down. The harddrive is rubber isolated but it will will only take so much abuse before it shuts down. It's a bummer. And what's worse is I can't upgrade it to an SSD because the drive is an old IDE style drive. The newer models of my tablet as it would have it are SSD, but they are $4K :Wow1:

Depending on your use, I would highly suggest something with an SSD. You won't get as much capacity but it will be more robust.

As a side note, they use the big screen Lowrance models in baja and they don't skip a beat.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I agree with Martin on using a HDD based laptop off road. Having worked for a laptop manufacturer I know hard drives are one of the most common parts to fail (behind keyboards and screens) at least in that company's experience.

My solution above was to use a $300 Acer netbook with an SSD (with just the OS is installed) and 32GB of SD card storage for both MS Streets & Trips 2010 & Nat Geo's Topo app for California.

You can read more about it in my build thread linked in my sig.

Cody1771

Explorer
has anyone looked into the new ACER tablet running on the Google Android system? i just baught it for my wife and so far i LOVE it! you can get the 64g model for the price of the Ipad 16g, it has expandable storage via mini SD card, you can link it up with any bluetooth device including a GPS puck without jailbreaking... the only thing that sucks is right now the topo mapping software is in its infancy. there is good apps for canada and the US but limited internationally. ill definatly buy one for my next rig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger