A new era. From P&S to SLR.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Well, this test shot did nothing but make me look like I'm going insane. I basically took two shots, one at "small" resolution, and other at "large", to see if changing resolutions would have any impact on brightness.

Large:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1207/919143242_9f121092d6_o.jpg

EXIF:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=919143242

919143242_2732fccf49.jpg

Small:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1056/919144826_4d12ef5ad6_o.jpg

EXIF:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=919144826

919144826_bd16e7388d.jpg

Any difference in lighting or brightness can be attributed to passing clouds. Changing resolution didn't have any bearing on exposure or brightness. I'll try to post another sample thats a dud, but I'm slightly reassured.

I've been using the camera on FULL AUTO for now - I plan on using the camera's automated and/or preset settings mostly, except there will be some occasions where I'll use the manual settings to get a very specific shot.

I plan to shoot people, nature, outdoors, vehicles, wilderness, offroad. Most of the time, I'm not going to have time to set up a shot, so I need to figure out how to get the camera to do my bidding.

Thanks for your feedback guys. Please keep it comin'. :)

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Start shooting on AV (aperture value) mode as soon as possible. Try to keep the aperture at F8, unless lighting or depth of field needs dictate otherwise.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
expeditionswest said:
Start shooting on AV (aperture value) mode as soon as possible. Try to keep the aperture at F8, unless lighting or depth of field needs dictate otherwise.

Will do. Thanks, Scott.

Okay, here are some great duds. During lunch, Cole and I took a stroll around the pond in our neighborhood - and I took that time to experiment with different shots on a bright, hot, humid, sunny day.

Exhibit A - Woefully Dark
http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=918637559

918637559_9e1f0f6423.jpg

Exhibit B - Also Woefully Dark
http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=919472402

919472402_c49212e6fc.jpg

Exhibit C - Good Exposure
http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=919544170

919544170_61a2d8d416.jpg

Again, these were taken with FULL AUTO. There are about 30 pictures or so from that walk, and for the most part they're dark. The ones I posted were the worst of the bunch (with the exception of Exhibit C). If its a bright day outside, I feel my photos should reflect that.

So basically, I need to put more consideration into where I point the camera for light-metering, and then while half-pressed shift the camera for framing?

...or is the camera at fault? :D ... seriously.

Offroader5

Observer
expeditionswest said:
your lens is most sharp around F8. You might also want to shoot underexposed by .5 to 1 stop.

I actually have my 20D permanently stopped down by .5 stop.

Also remember that the spot metering is center weighted with your camera (standard setting), so use caution on the area you take your exposure from. Don't be afraid to off-center exposure meter (hold down the shutter half way), recompose and then take the shot.

Also ensure that your shutter speed is in excess of your focal length (number wise, then multiply X1.6 for the CCD factor). Camera shake will kill your sharpness.

Does your comment on using F8 apply to most lenses or are you referring to the one that comes with the camera?

I'll have to try that stopping down trick on my 30d ;)

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
John, all of my lenses are sharpest around F8 - F9. Every lens is different...read the reviews for your particular lens.

My camera is permanently stopped up 1/3 of a stop (contrary to Scotts being stopped down), because all of my shots were under exposed. You will need to see which way (if any) yours will need to go. Pretty simple really...let the light meter do it's job, then look at the pics as a whole (set), and see if they tend to be over or under exposed, and by how much. Then set your camera accordingly.

articulate

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
Exhibit A - Woefully Dark

Exhibit C - Good Exposure

. . .So basically, I need to put more consideration into where I point the camera for light-metering, and then while half-pressed shift the camera for framing?

...or is the camera at fault? :D ... seriously.
My Opinions:
Exhibit A is a great exposure.
Exhibit C could use fill flash

About the metering, that technique will work somewhat. You sacrifice the ability to auto focus after you move the camera because the meter is set.

If you peek in the manual, you'll discover that the Canon cameras use different metering methods on different shooting modes. For instance, in AV mode, I believe it's taking a center-weighted reading. Other modes use an evaluative reading, and one or two might use spot metering. My manual is not in front of me, so I could have the specifics messed up here.

Another "trick" is to use the manual exposure mode. In your view finder, you should have a cutesy exposure reading (here's a photo snagged from the web). That reading is in the green part on the bottom, and on the far right.

See the little arrow pointing up halfway between 1 and 2? That's showing you that the camera's meter thinks it's over exposing by 1 and half stops.

So in manual mode, you can adjust either your shutter speed or aperture to suit your creative desires.

Hmmm.... on a little more research with that photo above, I see that the creator has a decent page about metering with his Canon camera.

Offroader5

Observer
goodtimes said:
John, all of my lenses are sharpest around F8 - F9. Every lens is different...read the reviews for your particular lens.

My camera is permanently stopped up 1/3 of a stop (contrary to Scotts being stopped down), because all of my shots were under exposed. You will need to see which way (if any) yours will need to go. Pretty simple really...let the light meter do it's job, then look at the pics as a whole (set), and see if they tend to be over or under exposed, and by how much. Then set your camera accordingly.

Ahh, gottcha. Still alot of testing and learning to do with this new camera. :(

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
articulate said:
See the little arrow pointing up halfway between 1 and 2? That's showing you that the camera's meter thinks it's over exposing by 1 and half stops.

So in manual mode, you can adjust either your shutter speed or aperture to suit your creative desires.

Thanks for your feedback, Mark. I was playing with the exposure compensation throughout the weekend. I usually get the exposure I want with it set at either 1/3 or 2/3. I haven't established a preference yet.

I wish I had the ability to adjust exposure in the automatic settings, though. I'm happy with the manual modes, but I was hoping for a more gradual transition from p&s to slr, as opposed to this crash course.

In any case, I feel better about the camera after playing with it through the weekend. Love the responsiveness. If my mother in-law does a cannonball off the diving board, I can catch it with ease. :D

951878531_472a00833e.jpg

951888745_6f85330404.jpg

951010645_b21db2e7e4.jpg

951812748_355d01ba5d.jpg

952758194_511ac6ebae.jpg

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Dirty Harry said:
Congrats on the new camera Chris!

Grim Minolta was bought by Sony, who is now making D-SLRs that will work with your existing lenses.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=3769
[hangs head kicks dirt clod]
Those style lenses are newer then mine. Mine predate "program" and "Auto focus". The 700 (The first full program Auto focus) came out 2 years after I bought my Minolta.

I was wondering what happened to Minolta. I didn't know Sony assimilated them.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Chris have you ever had a film SLR?

I never did care for full auto. I always liked having control over the aperture. It was nice to allow the speed but having control over the aperture has a BIG effect on depth of field. The slow the exposure time the better the depth of field.

Most of what I see wrong with your pictures is the aperture is open to much for the speed it is shooting.

What ISO do you have it set for? I bet its 400. Try kicking it down to 100 for outdoor and flash.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
cshontz said:
I got a Canon Digital Rebel, Grimmy. I just got it yesterday. I'm excited to go shooting with this thing. I love how fast it works compared to the point and shoots I've owned. A full press of the button and *BAM* you have a picture! :D

Hey Schontz

I am in the same boat as you and also just picked up the Canon Digital Rebel Xti SLR as my first "big" camera.

This is the first camera i have had that i havent bought used or for under $250! :D

So far i love it, but its pretty complicated for a simpleton like myself!

I also got the big daddy 8GB CF card so i only need one!

Photography has always been or interest to me and now i can start learning about this. All the reviews i read rated this as an excellent entry level SLR.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Boston Mangler said:
I also got the big daddy 8GB CF card so i only need one!

Nice gigabytes! I only got a 2 gig'er - which I thought would be adequate because I shoot primarily for the web ... but I found with the rapid operation of this camera I'm inclined to take more pictures!

I have no problem shooting with pictures on the small setting, but I wonder ... in 20 years from now, are those pictures going to be too low a resolution for enjoyable viewing? That's somewhat of a rhetorical question, since we can't predict the future - but food for thought nevertheless.

I'm getting the hang of it a little. The exposure spends most of its time stopped up 1/3. I'm taking alot of trial and error shots, but I'm really pleased with the good ones. In a short time, I won't even remember what it was like to shoot with my S80. :)

997124528_e63457b0b7.jpg

989916721_fe55a2f6d1.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Ewww ... does anyone have any tips for shooting in the woods? I just went for a walk in the woods with the boy and I'm disappointed how my shots turned out. Very blurry due to the low light despite it being a bright and sunny day.

The most obvious thing to me is that I could've used a higher ISO. Other than that, I'm not really sure. Most of my pictures will be taken on the go, of people and vehicles.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=1019667152

1019667152_4e8f63855f_b.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I just checked out the instructions. Holy smokes! Lots of great info in there! More gadgets should compel me to read the instructions. :Wow1:

EDIT: After some experimenting, I've determined that the difference between JPG image qualities is barely discernable - especially for use on the web. Once the image is resampled to fit your display, you're not going to be able to tell the difference between Coke or Pepsi. Now I'm comfortable shooting at a lower setting - save some CF and hard disk space.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears