A new style of "high Lift"

seanz0rz

Adventurer
i like the idea! but for me, seeing the locking pins slide in and out gives me some assurance that its not going to fail. hydraulic mechanisms usually dont fail catastrophically (instead leak slowly) but it still doesnt give me the piece of mind that a sheer pin does.

AndrewP

Explorer
A capacity of 2200 pounds isn't exactly filling me with confidence either.

A Hi-Lift is 7000 pounds or something close.

I do like the idea of something that could do all the jobs a hi-lift can do without all the weight and bulk.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
30 pounds and the ability to field strip and service the jack with basic hand tools, or what, 10-15 pounds and needing a clean environment and likely some special tools to service it. rather carry the extra weight i think...

still a very cool idea.

laxtoy

Adventurer
another concern, and i am not sure if this jack would not have the same problem, but anybody know what happens to some hydraulic jacks when you turn it on its side or upside down? does that mean this would be useless as a come-along/hand winch/clamp/spreader, something that is one of the high lifts best attributes?

2drx4

Adventurer
another concern, and i am not sure if this jack would not have the same problem, but anybody know what happens to some hydraulic jacks when you turn it on its side or upside down? does that mean this would be useless as a come-along/hand winch/clamp/spreader, something that is one of the high lifts best attributes?

It does not seem to have any provisions for being used as a come-along anyways. It has nothing on it to hook to. And it could well just pull air if turned sideways or upside down.

IMHO, a lot of the 'point' of a hi-lift is that it is mechanical and easily repaired (and they rarely actually break anyways). It might be slow, rough, and a pain to use, but it WILL work even if nothing else will.

rambrush

Adventurer
my hi lift is 29 years old and still going strong a little tlc and they will keep going forever. not sure how long this would last.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
For what it's worth, they classify it as a racing jack. The capacity and range are probably just fine for most amature race vehicles. Can't really make a direct comparison between it and a "farm" jack. Two different animals. Neat tool but very purpose specific.
Jason T.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Target market is desert racing buggys. For that use they are rather nice. I played around with one at the Off Road Expo about 5 years ago.

For the money I'll put an old school bumper jack on such a buggy.
Oh wait, that's what I have for the Baja!

For the complexity I'd just go right to on-board air jacks and skip something that could come loose and get flung off the race car.

My Hi-Lift is still doing an outstanding job of holding down a remote corner of my concrete driveway.

TimS

Adventurer
many world rally cars would have them (or something similiar) to change flats. Since the clock is ticking while your changing a flat on a stage, you need something quick.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Not sure if it was the Radflo or not but there is another version of this jack that has been on the market for sometime... for the application (racing) they have some clear advantages and the price is inline given the low market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman