A new twist on bed mounted RTT's

bluejeep

just a guy
For lifting and lowering, does a 12 volt linear actuator fit into the picture somehow? I've seen them used in some small dump trailers used for yard work, and such. With the correct stroke, and geometry so the force vectors push hardest when they need to, it might be 'da bomb'. And I know someone has to make / sell units that would survive in an outdoor application. McMaster Carr maybe? Northern tool? A trip to Google should uncover valuable info.
It would be very cool to drive into the camp, flip the switch, and the tent moves into position.

pray4surf

Explorer
Still have yet to spend one night in the RTT since :( and while progress is slow - it is progress.

I've spent some time evaluating linear actuators and gas charged support struts. And 'cause $$ is a concern - I'm going with gas charged struts. As it goes, the engineering into the gas strut placement will apply to linear actuator, should I choose to go that route in the future.

Luckily, right around the corner from my place of employement is List Supports Depot - Spent one lunch with Lou and Brandon brainstorming. They are recommending 2 of these struts.

Arming myself with the extended/collapsed lengths, I set about to create a fauxstrut that extended to 36" and collapsed to 20.8"

After identifying the 'center' of the RTT (for lifting purposes), I bolted the upper end to the base of the RTT. With the RTT in the raised position, I scribed an arc alongside the wheelwell. Then collapsing the fauxstrut and lowering the RTT, I scribed another arc. At the intersection of the two arcs is were the bottom of the strut is to be located.

Lowered:

image_zpsa2c033fe.jpg

Raised:

image_zpsc4fff0a8.jpg

Time to purchase the struts....

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow:Wow1:I just read this thread for the first time and I am impressed with your skills Surf. For a guy who did not know how to weld you have made some HUGE advancement and now have a functioning unit. Thats super cool! Cant wait to see pics of you out enjoying that rig in the bush. Nice work....:)

DesertFront

CONFUSED!
To me, this looks like a case of a well thought out plan and an excellent execution of the plan. Fantastic looking fabrication skills!!

strange

Observer
End result turned out real nice, but what Im not sure about it why it needs to raise up, whats wrong with it staying in the lowered position. Only draw back with it being low would be storage, but thats not the issue here because its lowered during transport anyways. In the beginning you said it has its drawbacks but what are they. Ive never used a RTT so it might be something really dumb I just didnt think about. Just kinda curious

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
End result turned out real nice, but what Im not sure about it why it needs to raise up, whats wrong with it staying in the lowered position. Only draw back with it being low would be storage, but thats not the issue here because its lowered during transport anyways. In the beginning you said it has its drawbacks but what are they. Ive never used a RTT so it might be something really dumb I just didnt think about. Just kinda curious

one reason to want it higher when deployed is headroom under the extended tent. If you are using a changing room, or using the extension as shade, one wouldn't want to duck every time they walked near the tent. It also gives him more working room in the bed of the truck if he wants to get stuff in and out.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
one reason to want it higher when deployed is headroom under the extended tent. If you are using a changing room, or using the extension as shade, one wouldn't want to duck every time they walked near the tent. It also gives him more working room in the bed of the truck if he wants to get stuff in and out.
Plus cooking on tailgate and having an awning over the rear.

pray4surf

Explorer
I had the RTT at mid-height before. But to make the annex/changing room functional, it needs to be tall enough to walk under.

Mounting the RTT at an annex-compatible height puts the total height at an undesirable location; high CG and poor aerodynamics.

Plus, the idea just seems 'Cool!' To me. :D

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I concur with others, it looks awesome, and congrats on the finished product!

I had a thought for you on the one man lift, but the video shows that you have worked that one out. It looks great!

pray4surf

Explorer
Moar pictures!!!

image_zps474f019a.jpg

image_zpsd1381faf.jpg

Going to work to improve the tie-down process. Plus two safety straps which will double as an intermediate method to secure the RTT in the lowered position.

To file under 'when will she ever learn', wife asked the other day if I was done with it. :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger