A Nice Heavy Duty Camp "GRILL" Not a stove!! :)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey Guys

Been searching everywhere. Camp Chef, Partner Steel, etc...

I have a nice stove setup for the standard stuff, but my $15 target special hibachi is no longer with us! :(

I am looking for a nice quality portable Grill for cooking the cow, hotlinks, chicken, etc...

I have used this one recently and i was most impressed with the quality and will probably end up buying this one if i cant find anything else:

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/FO-83722.htm

Its big and bulky, but its nicely made and good size.

Anyone know of any other options?

Thanks

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
cheap option

I just bought a cheap charcoal square portable grill at KMart. Very shallow with handles and folds over so it is half the height. (I left off the handle) I used it last week-end for hamburgers and hot dogs and it woked great. For less than $15, I plan to leave it in the trash if it get mangled and not feel bad.
I also carry a grate from a broken gas grill (they are everywhere on the side of the road right now) to stick over a fire or coals, when camping where open fires are allowed. Just a thought.

loeky

it looks like your a 'gas' man, but i picked this up about a year ago and it's seen a lot of use. the size is perfect for up to six people [burgers, chicken, tri tip, etc.] and can grill a whole side of salmon:

http://www.sportsauthority.com/prod...=2631586&cp=1870035.1859072&parentPage=family

i like that the lid is attached and the shape can stand on end if need be. it's built like a **** brick house and cooks better than a mini coleman does - imho.

we'll see how it does on those triggerfish in baja. :chef:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Thanks Guys

Yeah, i have being using various type of charcoal and gas BBQ's for year and most only last a year or so, i grill ALOT when i travel!

I am looking for a high end, heavy duty, somewhat compact unit!

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Boston!

You may try Magma Grills
Newport

The Force10 you mentioned and Magma are head to head competitors in the marine industry. I used to have one of the Kettle style magmas and was impressed with it. Only downside was the lid, but I believe the new style with a captive lid like the Force10 would be better.

Note that there are also trailer hitch receiver arm mounts that you can put the grill on!

Brian

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I am pretty partial to this $25 charcoal grill I got at Kroger. It is a drum that is maybe 8-9 inches in diameter. It folds open and you can stock both halves and end up with a 16x16 grilling surface. Once done just empty it out and latch it closed. Everybody that has seen it and used it went looking for them. Never seen them again.

Down side is i is not quick and you can't shut it off and go.

I have also been looking at some of the stainless marine grills as well as the Coleman road trip grills.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=27203 http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11113177&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4014040&Mo=9&pos=2&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=48808&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&ec=&topnav=

I like the fact that they come with a stand so I don't have to set it on the ground or take up table space. They have 20lb tank adaptors available so I can run one 20lb tank and run the grill lantern and I am hoping Zodi shower and tent heater off one big tank and not have to carry a half dozen little tanks.

This one also look interesting.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11170161&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4014767&Mo=12&pos=1&No=10&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=49263&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&ec=&topnav=

Bella PSD

Explorer
I saw this the other day at Dicks Sporting Goods
Dicks Gas grill with 187 sq-in of total cooking area
For $29 is not to bad.

Or this
Coleman Perfectflow Camp Grill Propane Stove with 200 sq-in of total cooking area
For $43 shipped

Louie

I just re-read your post and you asked about Heavy Duty...the links above are more on the "less expensive" side but still may hold up ok?

Last edited:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Weber

I use a Weber kettle - small one - and put a propane burner inside to get the coals going no matter the weather. The gas setup is good by itself, but sometimes you just gotta have coals. You can get all the stuff to do this at Home Depot. I line the bottom with foil so cleanup is super easy - no drippings and not much ash to deal with. While in transit I store the fresh coals and gas inside the grill along with the other cooking bits. As I write this the thought hit me that I should get an H2O proof bag at REI to store it / carry it in - just to keep things tidy all around.

I really like this setup because the shape is conducive to strength, it cooks great - gas makes startup a no brainer - no matter the weather - and cleanup is the best of any portable grill I have used.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Bella PSD said:
I saw this the other day at Dicks Sporting Goods
Dicks Gas grill with 187 sq-in of total cooking area
For $29 is not to bad.

Or this
Coleman Perfectflow Camp Grill Propane Stove with 200 sq-in of total cooking area
For $43 shipped

Thanks Louie

Yes, i have actually owned and used both of these. The ones from Dicks is a great unit and is the one that just gave up ghost on me.

The coleman one is ok, but i usually cook stuff that is marinated or dripping lots of juices, makes a HUGE mess and the way that thing is designed makes it quite a chore to clean!

Thanks

If i could find a Super Duty version of the Dicks unit made of stainless, that would be ideal!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Hi Kevin,

I'm no BBQ king....and not exactly sure what you are looking for.

I've seen this one at WallyWorld when I walk through to go get oil and stuff.

It's an el cheapo price.....but looks very functional. I like the handles.....stand.....extra lift up grill/warmer space.....and the latches. Look! It even has a built in clicker/lighter thingy!

This could get you by until you find the perfect one!:chowtime:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5280782

0072864927007_500X500.jpg

I just did a quick search and found this site.

I wonder if searching for "marine" and "RV" styles will give you better quality and be more rugged.

Seems like some good quality stainless stuff.

http://www.bbqs2go.com/

SBQsq-S.jpg

Sea-B-Que Propane Barbeque
SBQ-S
These barbeques are excellent in design and application. Manufactured in North America of high-grade 20 gauge 304 stainless steel in an octangonal shape, the Classic Sea-B-Que provides both strength and rigidity. Handles attached to the rollaway top allow for effortless opening and closing even when the barbecue is hot. The design prevents flame out in the windiest of conditions.
Dimensions: 9-1/4"x16"

Manufacturer's retail price: $289.04
Our Guaranteed Lowest Price: $199.95

Last edited by a moderator:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I have the Magma Catalina its killer - just a bit large for travel ( but not too large) it is solid and continues to work well after 3 years - had to buy a new regulator... BBQ is pricey!

the other contender I own is similar to this portable grillware ( mine is a model older)

the burner is hot not as even as the Magma but for the money and small size it can't be beat... :chowtime:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Lowes actually had a decent selection of portable propane grills last time I was there, like the one linked by the Dude.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I'll try to do some more searching for you Kevin....to see what turns up.

Maybe we can help you find something good........

Oh MY! What's This>?!!!!

lake%20009.jpg

.......hehe:chowtime:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998