A Photographer Specific Overlander...

FastGlass

Adventurer
Hello all,
My first post here and other than just saying "Hi", I had a question regarding a JK build that caters to excursion based photography. Just purchased a 2015 Tank green 4 door Rubi, and I'm looking to build it out for my 4-10 day photo jaunts I tend to do a few times a year. It would be used a lot on beeches as well since we just got a home on Marthas Vineyard, but I'll be sleeping in/on or around it and needs to handle fire roads and light trails and washouts, as well as having moderate fording ability/reasonable rock crawling ability (mostly for those riverbeds when they're exposed later summer) I'm looking to go "off trail" throughout MA/VT/NH/ME and upstate NY for animal and landscape shots.
So...The question (Finally :)
Would a gearing change be necessary if upgraded 35" tires/3.5' lift is used for the type of conditions I'll most likely be experiencing?

....And I would GREATLY appreciate any one else's experience building out a similar JK for these conditions and for this use in this area. This is all new to me, but I'm almost 40 and honestly, pretty tired of hiking 10-15 mile days with 55# of camera and camping gear...
Thanks all!

-Cliff/FastGlass

toxicity_27

Adventurer
What gears did your Rubicon come with? If it's an auto it would come standard with the 3.73 unless the 4.10 was optioned and the 4.10 is standard on a manual. I'm running 35s with 3.73s on a manual 2013 JKU, and while I wish there was a bit more it works decent for the most part.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Well I am right down the road from you. I would suggest a small lift AEV 2.5 is a great set up and good on road ride. Bumper with a winch is a must, AEV bumpers are ice look I am thinking about swapping over to them. also an upgraded battery. For camping I would do a roof rack and a roof top tent, with all the ticks and other critters around here I would prefer to sleep up off the ground. I run Goodyear Duratrac's on my JKU it is a great tire does really well in the snow, and performs well off road. Stuff like on board air is nice to have but it is easier to have a small portable compressor. Some storage options for gear you might look into this:

This vendor has these for front and rear. he offers a couple different styles for the rear.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301191052570?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Before you do any real amount of rocks look into some skids. Really kinda just depends on what kind of budget you have planed for your JKU.

FastGlass

Adventurer
Thanks Haficon,
Not too concerned with the budget, but don't need a sick rock crawler type setup. I had a follow up question about a front bumper, namely is it HIGHLY recommended to go full width alla AEV/ARB/other...or can a mid width suffice for trail duty? I had my eyes on the poison spider mid width front with hoops/skid and the swing out rear. RROR gas/trans/oil and evap skids, P.S. Cross brace replacement, ARB diff covers, AEV 3.5 RS kit, 17" hutchinson rock monsters with 35" km2's or cooper st max's, still debating cages...def want, not sure which. And a thin hard top pop up tent (lamb Au?). Warn Zeon 10-s on order (Amazon points used),
Air compressor on board yes...ARB...fridge yes...also ARB. separators/drawers for my Pelican hard cases of photo gear. Being able to wake up early and set up tripod up high on roof for elevated shooting is a must.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Thanks Haficon,
Not too concerned with the budget, but don't need a sick rock crawler type setup. I had a follow up question about a front bumper, namely is it HIGHLY recommended to go full width alla AEV/ARB/other...or can a mid width suffice for trail duty? I had my eyes on the poison spider mid width front with hoops/skid and the swing out rear. RROR gas/trans/oil and evap skids, P.S. Cross brace replacement, ARB diff covers, AEV 3.5 RS kit, 17" hutchinson rock monsters with 35" km2's or cooper st max's, still debating cages...def want, not sure which. And a thin hard top pop up tent (lamb Au?). Warn Zeon 10-s on order (Amazon points used),
Air compressor on board yes...ARB...fridge yes...also ARB. separators/drawers for my Pelican hard cases of photo gear. Being able to wake up early and set up tripod up high on roof for elevated shooting is a must.

NICE...

PSC makes some serious bumpers, AEV and ARB bumpers are great as well.

I have ARB diff covers on mine THEY SUCK. Yes they are great quality but they create clearance issues they will hit almost all aftermarket trackbars with suspension flex. I have a 2012 so same engine but auto, I did 4.88 and I do not like it. 4.10 would be perfect for 35's IMO. I was happy with 3.73s but was doing ARB lockers so I did gears as well I wanted 4.56 shop talked me into 4.88.
3.6.jpg

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan going. I did Viair 450c with dual 2.5 gallon tanks. great set up but the tanks do take up a bit of room. Also you might want to look into SPOD.
http://www.4x4spod.com/category_s/12.htm I prefer the one with the Gauge but I built my own system.

EDIT: I cant get the last chart to delete but it is for the 3.8

Attachments

• JKgearing.jpg
    JKgearing.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

toxicity_27

Adventurer
It's the manual with 4.10...I know 4.56's would technically be "better", but if I can get over/through what I need to as is, I'd rather not mess with gear swaps...

While I haven't driven one with the 4.10s and 35s I would say you're probably fine. Try it out and see how you like it when you have all your gear, if you feel it isn't enough then you can look into getting different gears.

Jurfie

Adventurer
Thanks Haficon,

Sounds like you are having fun with the upgrades! Just so you know, you are likely fine with a stock JKUR for most of the wheeling you are describing...so the items you list are wants, not needs. But that's no fun, and if budget is not a concern, have at it!

To answer your questions:

• Full-width bumpers are needed if you are pushing through the bush, or are likely to have an encounter with a large animal. Mid-width and shorties are better for tire clearance when articulating and/or improved approach when you've got one wheel in a hole, and one out (for example), or a BFR in front of one corner that you want to hit directly with a tire instead of the bumper.
  • 3.5" is more than enough lift for 35s; you can fit 37s with a 3.5" lift. Heck, you can fit 35s on a JK with no lift if you add flat fenders like Bushwacker, Metalcloak, etc.
  • A stock JK comes with skids, so you'll probably be okay without adding more, unless you wheel by feel rather than picking a good line. Only exception would be to protect the Rubicon e-disconnect.
  • Same goes for diff covers...replace them if you have a tendency to bang them off rocks...so far, I haven't even scratched my factory covers.
  • Cages are nice, but realistically: are you like to roll-over on a fire road? Probably not. Another reason to recommend a smaller (or no) lift = low COG = less likely to turtle.
  • Hard top pop up tent? Take a look at the Ursa Minor J30. The ultimate, in my opinion! Access from inside, hard shell, decent mattress, ability to carry stuff on top...
All your other items (OBA, fridge, storage drawers, etc.) are great to have. My last suggestion is probably the hardest to accept: wheel it stock for a little while before modifying it (especially if this is your first Jeep). The JKUR is an extremely capable vehicle, and getting to know what it can (and cannot) do will help you decide what modifications you need for the type of wheeling you do.

Just my 2 cents. Have fun! :safari-rig:

FastGlass

Adventurer
Hi Jurfie, thanks a lot for the detailed help!
Definitely having fun, but I'm looking long term with this one. I had a 2010 Rubi that I kept stock and wheeled lightly...took to the good fishing spots and camped out of occasionally. Traded for a TDI Touareg in 2012. Missed ever since.
Can't seem to find a full width built that I like...would want a hoop like ARB/AEV but facing out to protect bumper mounted lights. All the extra protection is a definite for me, not cause I think I'll need it, but because I'd hate to find myself 80 miles into unknown forests In northern VT OR NY and have to cross something I wasn't expecting and drag my oil pan etc...peace of mind more than anything. By "cages", I actually meant a roof rack for hard tent and to stand/sit on for photography... I know it's a disadvantage to load a top heavy, lifted jeep up high too much...both for the high weight, and for getting through uncleared woods etc, but I definitely want roof mounted tent.
HAFICON, That sucks to hear about the diff covers...will this be a problem for me if I'm only going with the AEV kit? Would you have another suggestion that's as durable as I've heard these are? Thanks for the charts! That's pretty sweet...should be a sticky note somewhere! Looks like 4.10 is ok...and pretty fuel efficient. I guess I'll have to load up for that first trip and see how it'll do with all the extra weight and me and our two 130 lb German Shepherds :) if a bit laggy, and I DID want to switch, you think 4.56 is the sweet spot for slow speed maneuvering and on road manners? I'll never go 37" tires...this is a purpose built vehichle to explore and bring me and some expensive gear home again. And take my son with me in a year or two :)
What about the 4.88 you don't like for the 35" combo?

NVJK

So...The question (Finally :)
Would a gearing change be necessary if upgraded 35" tires/3.5' lift is used for the type of conditions I'll most likely be experiencing?

No. You'll be fine. I ran both 315s and 37s with the 3.6L and an automatic.

E Rock

I have a 2012 JKU manual with 4.10 gears. I currently have 35" tires on a 3" lift. 6th gear is really weak, but I have not felt the need to regear as there are so many other fun things I've been buying instead, haha. I will say off road while going up hill at low speeds you will most likely have to be in 4 low to compensate, but for me personally it's not a big deal. For bumpers, check out Pronghorngear's bumper. It's aluminum, lightweight, and stout. Plus it's easily converted from full width to stubby. Also, my most recent purchase has been the ARB drawers you mentioned. I love them! If you are looking at the 2 drawer set up do not buy the floor kit as it does not work with the 2011 and up models. I learned that the hard way, LOL.

WininUtah

Adventurer
I've got a 2014 JKUR, mainly used for desert/forest roads in SW Utah. Mine is an auto with 4:10s and performs fine, just a little sluggish at 10,000 ft. Here's what I went with:

2.5" Teraflex lift with Fox Shox - 315/70R-17 (34.6") Hankook MTs on AEV Pintler Wheels - had Teraflex before and it's great on or off road.
Warn Elite Front Bumper w/Warn 9.5CTi-S winch. Full width bumper, didn't see the need for a grill guard
Genright Aluminum Rear Bumper - this is a tough call, I'm looking at roof racks and some may not work with this
Teraflex Hinge Tire Carrier - I can't imagine using another brand

This is pretty much the perfect setup for me, I can't imagine needing more. Link to before and after: http://winpics.fototime.com/Jeepin'/2014 JKUR Build

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I agree with almost everything Jurfie said. The stock Rubicon is more than capable of doing the sort of wheeling you're describing. If you find that it sags in the rear after loading up with gear and dogs, then you might consider a small 2.5" lift. I would choose a full-width bumper to provide added protection in overgrown woods. I would likely skip the Hutchinsons. They are great looking wheels, but they're really heavy. The type of wheeling you described likely won't require you to air down so much as to reap the benefits of the wheels. The beach may be the exception, but you'll likely do fine airing down to 20-22 lbs. The skid plates are fine as added insurance, but you might also consider axle gussets if you're that concerned about breaking something that far from civilization. My philosophy is to leave the Jeep as stock as possible, only improve as necessary and add things that support the purpose of the Jeep. Enjoy!

HAFICON

Adventurer
I drive a lot so the 4.88 and 35s are not the most efficient set up.

To comment on bumpers again, I want the AEV but I do love my Rugged Ridge stubby winch bumper, quality is pretty god although it is nothing like Poison Spyder, I added a pre runner attachment so I have the benefit of both full coverage, and wheel travel. It has with stood 2 accidents since I been on Cape Cod only a scratch, yea I hit someone on the rotary... *L* other guy was drunk pulled out in front of me.

Regardless enjoy building it part of the fun is doing it yourself, and somewhat over time.

Last edited:

FastGlass

Adventurer
Well, so it begins. :)
After scouring the net and forums for ideas on the kind of bumper that will handle "little" trees and brush, protect my lighting and grill and still offer high clearances and full 3/16 thickness, I called Expedition One and am having them one off a Trail series front bumper with a reinforced additional hoop that goes around the headlamps too. They're not raping me on the additional build and we're really nice to talk to about the goal here. I basically sent them images of the Genright ones and said "your hoop, but add THIS"...
Ordering rear with swing out and cb mount as well and the Rubi e disco skid...
Here's a few pics of what I'm looking at...
image.jpg
Winch will be here in a few days. Jeeps still 3 weeks out :(
Going to have to start a build thread methinks....pretty excited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger