A question for you Taco owners...

Mcfly

I curently own an F-150, but I've been looking very closely at the new Taco.
My question to you guys is, why did you choose this truck over all the others?

The reason I ask is my old camper is at the end of it's life and I will no longer need a truck that big to haul that around, and from some of your rigs has given me a tonne of ideas for a set up of my own.

Look forward to reading your repondes.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
For me, it was pretty easy. I was already set on Toyota (this is my 3rd), and wanted the bed for a number of reasons. Tundra is too big for my needs, so naturally the Tacoma was my first choice. My only struggle was between the Dbl Cab and Access cab (and 5' vs 6' bed), but in the end with a family to take on trips, the Dbl Cab was the right choice. And I wanted the e-locker, so I opted for the OR package (which came with the SB).

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Simple, it is a Toyota.

I did do alot of research over about four years, and the Tacoma fit my needs the best. It is reliable, looks good, comfortable inside, good engine. I looked at all the other mid sized trucks, and in the end there was no question, IMO Toyota was best.

Clutch

<---Pass
My '99 has a 175K miles on it and still ticking...ticking strong I might ad. I have put very little money into maintenance parts over the years. Timing Belt, clutch, and rebuilt the rear end, and that is about it, not bad for a truck with a 175K miles on it.

I have been debating on going bigger, but, every time I drive on something tight, it reminds why I like my Tacoma so much.

Now only if Toyota would drop a diesel into the Taco, would be damn near perfect.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Overland Hadley said:
That is what I like to hear.

My '85 4Runner had 225K when I sold it, still got $2500 for it. Then bought a '91, sold that with a 150K, for $3500. My '99 fell into my lap, wanted the V6 and extra cab. I think I have had for 5 years now...going to try and get 300K out of it. Change oil every 2500 miles...hope I make my goal. Maybe by then a used 2010 Tacoma diesel will fall into my lap.

Mcfly

Kermit said:
2010 Tacoma diesel

Ok Now I'm more interested. The f-150 comes out with one in 09/10 aswell but if the Tacoma is coming out with one I think I'm sold

DenCo40

Adventurer
Being a former Ford fanatic, I made the jump for a toyota back in 02 with my first tacoma. I did pay a lot more but what I got in return was a more off road capable truck for my needs. My old rangers were good but my tacos are better IMHO. Also there are a lot more affordable options for add-ons too.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Pretty much the same as the other posters: Good experience (both mine and that of other people I know) with the Toyota brand, an enviable reputation for quality and reliability, great resale value, etc. Also, just looking at the 01-04 Taco the vehicle appears to have much greater clearance both under the body and in the fenders for bigger tires. I don't know if that's actually true or not but when you consider that the stock tires on my Taco were 31s (well, 265/70R16's, but that's pretty close the 31!) then you can appreciate the difference between that and, say, a Ford Ranger that has 235/85 15's (28" tire) as stock. Other 4wd vehicles also appear to have a lot more plastic crap that is likely to tear off or otherwise get in the way (Chevy Colorado, for example.)

A final reason I decided on specifically an 01-04 is that I wanted the newest pickup truck that still had a manually shifted T-case. Neither Ford nor Chevy offers this, and they haven't for years. Since I know people who have had problems with their electronically-shifted cases (particularly in cold weather) I considered this to be a significant advantage of the Toyota.

Clutch

<---Pass
Mcfly said:
Ok Now I'm more interested. The f-150 comes out with one in 09/10 aswell but if the Tacoma is coming out with one I think I'm sold

I believe the Tundra is getting a diesel for the 2009 model year, one would hope the Tacoma gets one too. All rumors for now, but the big 3 are supposed to have half ton diesels by 09.

I used to not like the 2005+ Tacomas, I finally got to drive one, very very nice...Yeah, it is bigger than my '99, but the size seems just about right, there are times I wish mine was just a tad bigger, the new Tacoma fills that niche.

Last edited:

Mcfly

Awesome respondes so far esspe especially DenverTaco being a former Ford owner. I think I'll be heading for a few tests drives.
My truck is a lease so I might have to keep it for a little longer will see what the dealership says.

Clutch

<---Pass
Now only if we could the Hilux over here...3.0 diesel. DaveinDenver, will probably pipe in stating the we do infact get the Hilux...our Tacomas, but, it isn't a true Hilux without the diesel. ;)

http://www.toyota.com.au/hilux

image001.jpg

What do like about the Tacoma, too...it drives like a car, but, is a very capable 4X4. You should go test drive some.

I like this guy's, build up, making his Taco a power house.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8586

Last edited:

gearbox

Adventurer
I chose my '06 AC because of the Toyota reputation for reliability, reputation for capability, known usage in real-world off-roading, anticipated aftermarket wheeling support, off-road package (diff lock and tow hitch mainly but the power outlet in the bed is nice), and available manual transmission. Plus, there have been a few easy mods and it's equipped well enough and at a decent price-point.

dennisuello

Adventurer
Tacomas have a great reputation and great aftermarket support. Several years ago when I was shopping for a mid-size truck, I narrowed it down to Tacoma and Frontier (ended up with a Frontier, due to much lower cost for the same set of features). If you intend to extensively modify the truck using mostly bolt-on parts, get a Tacoma, the aftermarket for them is huge.

gearbox said:
I chose my '06 AC because of the Toyota reputation for reliability, reputation for capability, known usage in real-world off-roading, anticipated aftermarket wheeling support, off-road package (diff lock and tow hitch mainly but the power outlet in the bed is nice), and available manual transmission. Plus, there have been a few easy mods and it's equipped well enough and at a decent price-point.

Everyone has hit the nail on the head. There is a reason why Toyota is the... I believe #2 automaker in the world.

I work as a lot attendant at a Complete Auto Repair shop to help pay for our wedding and honeymoon, so I have this perspective to it. Living in Oregon there are a heck of a lot of trucks out here. All makes and models are well represented here.

However, I can give you the break down as to which trucks we see in here the most out of the popular ones, I will not include say the Colorado, Titan, or the Tundra since they have a smaller market here compared to the Big 3 or the Tacoma or Frontier.

The number one truck we see in the shop no matter what year is the...

1. Dodge Ram- almost everyday we have one in the shop.
2. Ford F150
3. Chevy Silverado
4. Ranger
5. Frontier
6. Tacoma and there are a lot of Tacoma's here:)

You just cannot beat the Tacoma's reliability. Everyone at the shop, even the older techs in there old Mustangs cannot deny that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78