A Rig Named Scout and its Adventures

joelwho

Adventurer
Ok I think i'm pretty much caught up to the present... except for the last month or so. I've been recovering from knee surgery and haven't been able to get Scout out much, save for a few glamour shots.

ok and some beach time!

Hey look! Scout is Trasharoo famous!

To be continued...

ExYukoner

Cargo Area?

Great looking rig - love what you've done with it. Looks like you're having a blast using it as well.

Any chance you have any pics of the cargo area? Just wondering how the storage boxes, fridge, etc. all fit back there.

Cheers

joelwho

Adventurer
Great looking rig - love what you've done with it. Looks like you're having a blast using it as well.

Any chance you have any pics of the cargo area? Just wondering how the storage boxes, fridge, etc. all fit back there.

Cheers

Thank you!

here are a couple of 'loaded up' pics

---packed for our Grand Canyon trip

---random outing

yes Scout is in dire need of a drawer system. Ha!

Last edited:

ramatl73

Observer
These are the types of threads that really make me miss my Xterra. My wife and I bought one of the original Gen 1 4x4 SE models in 2000. We helped start up the original version of Southeast Xterra Club which evolved to what it is now. Brings back memories of taking close to 40 Xterra's to the plant in Smyrna, TN in various states of modification. The Nissan VP of R&D happened to be there and the meetings that weekend forged the way for some the changes made in the Gen 2 versions. Probably the first time I ever saw an ARB bumper, snorkel kit, and Gobi Rack mounted on an X was that weekend.

Since the family has evolved and I'm now rolling a 2011 Ram 1500 4wd. So I have to live vicariously through you guys!! Keep the pics coming!! Good looking rig Joel!

joelwho

Adventurer
These are the types of threads that really make me miss my Xterra. My wife and I bought one of the original Gen 1 4x4 SE models in 2000. We helped start up the original version of Southeast Xterra Club which evolved to what it is now. Brings back memories of taking close to 40 Xterra's to the plant in Smyrna, TN in various states of modification. The Nissan VP of R&D happened to be there and the meetings that weekend forged the way for some the changes made in the Gen 2 versions. Probably the first time I ever saw an ARB bumper, snorkel kit, and Gobi Rack mounted on an X was that weekend.

Since the family has evolved and I'm now rolling a 2011 Ram 1500 4wd. So I have to live vicariously through you guys!! Keep the pics coming!! Good looking rig Joel!

Wow that's a great story! Thanks for your contribution to the Xterra world, and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99Discovery

Adventurer
Excellent eye for photography! Great composition and post processing.

As a fellow Nikon shooter myself, I'd say skip the trifecta zooms: They'd be nice, but you don't need 'em. Spend the Money on the FX body instead. I love my D800, and my bet is you'd get MUCH more out of the low-light ISO and dynamic range the body offers than the focal range of a zoom.

I set mine to auto-ISO up to 6400 and a shutter speed minimum of 1/150 or 1/250 and just go to work! Get yourself an 85mm F1.4 and a fast wide angle prime and you'd be good to go! (The old 17-35mm F2.8 zoom can be had on the cheap too!).

Great suff!

joelwho

Adventurer
Excellent eye for photography! Great composition and post processing.

As a fellow Nikon shooter myself, I'd say skip the trifecta zooms: They'd be nice, but you don't need 'em. Spend the Money on the FX body instead. I love my D800, and my bet is you'd get MUCH more out of the low-light ISO and dynamic range the body offers than the focal range of a zoom.

I set mine to auto-ISO up to 6400 and a shutter speed minimum of 1/150 or 1/250 and just go to work! Get yourself an 85mm F1.4 and a fast wide angle prime and you'd be good to go! (The old 17-35mm F2.8 zoom can be had on the cheap too!).

Great suff!

Ugh! so many choices *grumble grumble*

a wide angle is definitely in my future.

I considered the 85mm when I first bought my camera. at the time I was really only shooting portraits. but the 50mm won over. haven't even thought about it again, until now. maybe I should!

thanks for all your input!

and thank you for the kind critique on my photography. I truly appreciate it

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Ugh! so many choices *grumble grumble*

a wide angle is definitely in my future.

I considered the 85mm when I first bought my camera. at the time I was really only shooting portraits. but the 50mm won over. haven't even thought about it again, until now. maybe I should!

thanks for all your input!

and thank you for the kind critique on my photography. I truly appreciate it

I will always be a proponent of the Nikon FX bodies, but those bodies are nothing without good glass. The less expensive primes (35mm, 50mm, 85mm etc.) are fantastic lenses to be sure, but I love the versatility of good zoom lenses, especially for landscapes. Tip: you don't need to drop all your money on the fast zooms, as the other Nikon guy said. You can get two f/4 lenses that cover most of the needed range with results very nearly as good as the f/2.8 holy trinity. Plus they're lighter and a lot cheaper. I've got the 24-120mm f/4, which I love, and I'm planning on picking up the 16-35mm f/4 to compliment it. Both lenses are around $1200, which is about half of one of the fast zooms. The quality is fantastic and They're endlessly useful.

Get yourself a D610/D750/D810/D810, a 16-35mm f/4 for landscapes, and a 50mm for everything else. All you need :D

Last edited:

joelwho

Adventurer
I will always be a proponent of the Nikon FX bodies, but those bodies are nothing without good glass. The less expensive primes (35mm, 50mm, 85mm etc.) are fantastic lenses to be sure, but I love the versatility of good zoom lenses, especially for landscapes. Tip: you don't need to drop all your money on the fast zooms, as the other Nikon guy said. You can get two f/4 lenses that cover most of the needed range with results very nearly as good as the f/2.8 holy trinity. Plus they're lighter and a lot cheaper. I've got the 24-120mm f/4, which I love, and I'm planning on picking up the 16-35mm f/4 to compliment it. Both lenses are around $1200, which is about half of one of the fast zooms. The quality is fantastic and They're endlessly useful.

Get yourself a D610/D750/D810/D810, a 16-35mm f/4 for landscapes, and a 50mm for everything else. All you need :D

solid advice, my friend. I think you have me on the right track now. thanks!

Jayrat

Thanks for sharing your pics, Love the Rig looks like you put a lot of thought and love into it,
My son is 3 and I've been slowly modifying my X for Overland, I got some good Ideas from you
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior