A-semetrical boot fitment

TBS

Observer
So, I just got my first pair of backpacking boots. I have always known that my left foot was a little larger than my right, but didn't realize how much. My left foot is about 3/4 of a size larger than my right. I have just come to by shoes according to my left foot.

The problem is though with the fact that fitment is rather important in these boots. The left boot fits awsome. I lace it up to a comfortable tension on the laces and the boot and my foot move together. The right foot on the other hand, the smaller one, is another story. In order to keep my heel from slipping in the boot I practically have to cut off the circulation to my foot.

The boots are new and have less than 10 miles on them, but everyone I have read from said they needed no break in with them. Asolo fsn 95. Does anyone have a solution for this? Maybe adding an insole or doubling up on socks?

Heres a thought....

http://www.oddshoefinder.com/homeAnother option would be to find a good cobbler in your area who would be able to make adjustments to your shoe.

I have a different problem - AA-width feet. Nothing made for retail in America exists as far as hiking boots are concerned. Even B-width boots are really too wide.

Are you saying that a cobbler would be able to make my boots fit me better? What do they do to the boots to make this happen? Thanks!

AchillesBogart

Adventurer
I have a different problem - AA-width feet. Nothing made for retail in America exists as far as hiking boots are concerned. Even B-width boots are really too wide.

Are you saying that a cobbler would be able to make my boots fit me better? What do they do to the boots to make this happen? Thanks!

I don't think a cobbler can shrink the boots, usually they can stretch them a little if they're too tight. Custom made boots would be the way to go, you should have something built to your feet rather than something altered to be close. You might want to do a google search for custom made boots and see what you get. Kulien's, Whites are two that come to mind, hand built boots are pricey $400 and up, but oh so worth it if you have odd feet.

I found a few boots from Red Wing that fit much better than my current Red Wing hikers, and I'm waiting on Lowa Banff Pro boots to come in to try on.

But I agree that boots should be custom-made in these situations. I wonder if I should get into bootmaking? Certainly not enough people doing it.

Errant

Explorer
I've got the same issue, but exactly a half size difference. For some shoes, I can buy the larger size and add an insole to the smaller one. Some shoes, I buy the smaller size and have them stretched. Climbing shoes, i just go with the small size. When I was pregnant, the size difference jumped to a whole size and I had to resort to buying two pair of identical shoes :eek:

rdraider

Adventurer

Take a look at White's Boots, I don't know if they make anything you'd like but here's their order process:

step 1. order a catalog
step 2. take out the order form and trace your feet (both left and right) with a good pair of socks on
Step 3. measure around the ball of your foot, instep, ankle, 6" 8" 10" up the leg
step 4. send them lots of money (unfortunately) and wait
Step 5. 4-6 weeks later put on the best pair of handmade boots on the planet!

They build each boot to fit your feet. They fit like a glove right off the bat, no matter if you have 4 toes on one foot and six on the other!

I have the exact opposite problem form you, my boots size is 11.5 FF. Of course I'm 6'2" 280lbs of ugly mean man, and i'm assuming your probably not!:sombrero:

Oh, and by the way, i've got 3 pairs and they've all lasted for over 10 years now, with only 1 pair going back for new soles. I have the smoke jumpers in brown and black, and a pair of packers. I need to send 2 of them back for re-soleing now.

Take a look at White's Boots,

I have looked at them and certainly will consider them when the opportunity presents itself. Yes, I have the opposite problem of you. I'm so light, the soles on my boots are still going strong nearly 4 years later, with little wear primarily in the heels.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I've got the same issue, but exactly a half size difference.
Most people have this problem even if they don't realize it, although the OP is an extreme case. A good boot fitter will know his line and how to approach this, so that would be my first stop before throwing down for custom boots. Custom footbeds, stretching, tongue shims, insole wedges, various pads (very common with plastic boots) are ways they can make stock boots fit. Even if both your feet are close to the same length, fitting is a good thing to consider because your feet and lower legs are rarely symmetrical.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
x2

Take a look at White's Boots, I don't know if they make anything you'd like but here's their order process:

step 1. order a catalog
step 2. take out the order form and trace your feet (both left and right) with a good pair of socks on
Step 3. measure around the ball of your foot, instep, ankle, 6" 8" 10" up the leg
step 4. send them lots of money (unfortunately) and wait
Step 5. 4-6 weeks later put on the best pair of handmade boots on the planet!

They build each boot to fit your feet. They fit like a glove right off the bat, no matter if you have 4 toes on one foot and six on the other!

I have the exact opposite problem form you, my boots size is 11.5 FF. Of course I'm 6'2" 280lbs of ugly mean man, and i'm assuming your probably not!:sombrero:

Oh, and by the way, i've got 3 pairs and they've all lasted for over 10 years now, with only 1 pair going back for new soles. I have the smoke jumpers in brown and black, and a pair of packers. I need to send 2 of them back for re-soleing now.

Sea&Xc

Since you already have the boots, I'd recommend what has already been mentioned, new insole for the smaller foot. I've added a set of insoles to my Vasque hiking boots many years ago. It improved the fit and comfort. I've also added shims under existing insoles on other boots to reduce volume and keep my foot from slidding around.

The shim is usually a thin (1/16"-1/8") piece of firm foam or soft flexible plastic cut to fit. This is very easy and cheap to play and experiment with. You don't usually need a lot of material, but then again you have a large range in foot size.

ssssnake529

Explorer
I have different sized feet.

For hiking/climbing boots and shoes, I typically buy two pair, keep the sizes I need, and sell/consign the other odd pair at the local 2nd hand store.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
As Dave pointed out, it's virtually impossible to find anyone with two feet the same size. Pretty rare. People also only refer to foot size by length. Feet are 3D. Even if your feet are the same length, it's rare to have them the same width, shape, volume, etc. They may not even be equal in health. A foot that has suffered injury can require more fit attention than the other foot. So, it's not that your situation is rare. It is far more rare to find to like sized feet.

That said, it isn't all too common to find feet that have more than a full size discrepancy. We have a couple tricks worth trying before you pop for two pair to get one fit.

Footbeds. We sometimes use Sole custom footbeds in two differing volumes to aid in fitting the smaller foot. Volume and length are two entirely different fit-metrics, but sometimes using a slightly thicker footbed in the small-foot boot helps prevent the sloppy feel that foot suffers. I like the Sole custom beds because the variance between the thicker and thinner beds is pretty slight, and the custom molding helps secure your foot better than a generic shim under the generic factory footbed.

It's also a pretty safe solution. If the mis-matched pair causes comfort issues, you can just go back to using a matched pair in the thickness that feels best. So, you're not likely to be out any money. Two pair of Sole custom beds is only $90. Far cheaper than two pair of boots. Plus, that solution can go from shoe to shoe in many cases.

It's worth a shot. My other suggestion would be to search for boots built on European SIZED lasts. La Sportiva is built and sized in European sizes. US boots are sold in whole and half sizes. European sizes are essentially in increments of thirds. If a 10 is too small and a 10.5 too big, European-sized boots allow for a 10, 10 and a third, 10 and two thirds, etc. You can often get a more precise fit and that almost always benefits people with more than a size discrepancy.

Here's my fun boot fitting factoid of the day. In out store, I'd wager our small staff of 12 is sent about 30-40 free pair of boots and shoes every year. For some reason, they all fit. There must be something about free that helps fitting.:)

Last edited:
My other suggestion would be to search for boots built on European SIZED lasts. La Sportiva is built and sized in European sizes. US boots are sold in whole and half sizes. European sizes are essentially in increments of thirds. If a 10 is too small and a 10.5 too big, European-sized boots allow for a 10, 10 and a third, 10 and two thirds, etc. You can often get a more precise fit and that almost always benefits people with more than a size discrepancy.

Good to know. Wish I had know that before buying my boots last week. My feet are in between a 9.5 and 10. 10s are always too big and 9.5s tend to be too small. I ended up with 9.5 Lowa's, but I'm pushing it as far as fit is concerned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears