A short Sunday afternoon drive Part I

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
Yesterday afternoon we decided to make a short trip to El Camino de los Españoles, in Cerro El Ávila, which is the mountain that separates the north of Caracas city from the sea. This camino, or road, was the communication route from the capital city of Caracas to the port where all the goods from abroad arrived. Its construction was ordered in 1589 and it was the only usable road here for over three hundred years.

ElSalto-001.jpg

La Venta Inn ruins. This mid 18th century inn was a resting place where the traveler could find food or a place to sleep.

ElSalto-004.jpg

Descent on the northern slope.

ElSalto-005.jpg

A quite steep and twisty section with lots of loose rocks.

ElSalto-009.jpg

ElSalto-010.jpg

ElSalto-014.jpg

Because it is seldom used, the road is now covered by our tropical vegetation in many areas.

ElSalto-019.jpg

A small fortress known as El Salto is also in ruins today. Built before 1.650, it served for protection and as checkpoint. The road was interrupted here by a drawbridge that no longer exists. Here we decided to turn around and head back to the city.

ElSalto-021.jpg

The same interesting section we saw before, now on the way up.

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
A short Sunday afternoon drive Part II

ElSalto-027.jpg

The winch becomes necessary at this point.

ElSalto-034.jpg

A 200 series as winch anchor.

ElSalto-036.jpg

Kids are always present in our outings.

ElSalto-041.jpg

Now it’s the Long Van’s turn.

ElSalto-045.jpg

ElSalto-047.jpg

Once again, the winch has to finish the job.

ElSalto-049.jpg

Setting the tree saver strap and pulley needed to aid the winchless 90 series ascent.

ElSalto-054.jpg

Pulling at an angle.

A very short drive. All in all, I left home at 2:30pm and was back a little after 9:00pm.

Explorer
I had to check my globe to see where you were talking about :) That looked a bit slippery on the wet rocks! Interesting that the tires didn't seem bulged out, did you drop any PSI from the tires?

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Great trip report.

And your english is better than some of the native speakers of english here in the States.

Moody

Needs to get out more
I have always dreamed of touring old missions and other key historical points down there....thanks for giving me a taste!

Lulo

Observer
Great Report and Pics... :victory:

...Remembering old adventures! :smiley_drive:

Graciñas Tucan Viajero :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12