A strange Troopy Story...More than a coincidence?

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Last year on the way to the Pradopoint.com GTG '09 I arrived in Birdsville, QLD with some good Mates to cross the Simpson Dessert. When we arrived at Birdsville we stopped at the famous Birdsville pub for a look around. Outside the pub as a beautiful 1981 Toyota FJ45 LWB Troopy. She was extremely clean and rust free. I took a pic of her along with all the other COo.oOL off-roaders around Birdsville.

Late June 2009
6491_1133676514582_1607375270_30350912_6990861_n.jpg

We crossed the Simmo and made it to the PP GTG '09 and I forgot about the beauty.

Last July when on The Tip Trip (Cape York, QLD) Cape York 2010 W/ MAXTRAX & Dirty Weekends we were on our way back South and Brad from MAXTRAX and I were discussing all the old troopy's on The Cape and how I would like to have one 'up above' and comparing colors and features. He said I should go up and start a conversation and slip in that I'm looking for an old troopy to bring back to the States. We arrived at the Musgrave Road House for gas and a lot burger when I spotted this old FJ45 Troopy. I went to the vehicle and talked to the owners wife. She told me that they bought it for two trips, the Simpson Desert and Cape York then was looking at selling it. I gave her by business cart and Brad gave one to her husband as well.

34026_1437070539243_1607375270_31074957_8006464_n.jpg

When I came back I was going through my pics to post on fb and noticed it had the white steely wheels and it looked somewhat familiar. I looked at last years Simpson crossing pics and the license plates were the same. I thought it was more than a coincidence and knew I needed to get her. The distance was over 1,500 miles and the Troopy was over 2,000 miles from home. On top of that it was on my only 2 trips to OZ.

About 2 weeks ago Brad sent me a text message with a pic of her in Brisbane and that he left her another card. He sent me an e-mail the other night with pics of her and said he bought her.

62580_1533356146323_1607375270_31316475_7300574_n.jpg

She is a clean troopy with only 220,XXX km and no rust. Everything is original and the only things needing attention are the windshield (broken in the Simpson Desert pic as well), and the drivers seat needed new skins. She's a petrol, but thats OK for my purposes. Anyway's you cant always pick who you fall in love with.

I will let you know more when she will be shipped up here and what i'm going to do with her.

Any advice on shipping her 'up above' would be grately appreciated. I'm short on funds, so need to think more container or cheap roro.

Cheers,

Last edited:

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Great story and congrats, she's beautiful... assuming of course that you are male and it's a female and that's what you are into.

:ylsmoke:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
cool story and congrats!

What is your shipping port destination?

I have a 1985 Nissan Patrol in the Brisbane area that I need to get shipped on over here to this side of the pond. I prefer Long Beach but maybe we can share a container?

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
cool story and congrats!

What is your shipping port destination?

I have a 1985 Nissan Patrol in the Brisbane area that I need to get shipped on over here to this side of the pond. I prefer Long Beach but maybe we can share a container?

I was thinking Brizzy to Long Beach because I wanted to take her to Oveland Expo before she settles in on the East coast to get built up. My target is somewhere around Dec. Or Jan.

Cheers,

expo80

Adventurer
funny how things pan out i had a similar story with both my landcruisers, I sometimes think the cruiser chooses you

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
funny how things pan out i had a similar story with both my landcruisers, I sometimes think the cruiser chooses you

True. My FJ Cruiser has a stange story too, but it was for someone else. He offered to buy it and I told him no. I chose it first. :smiley_drive:

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Now comes the time to discuss shipping.

Anyone know if it will fit in a 20 ft. container? It has the ARB Bumper and will have a rear Kaymar Bumper.

How about RORO? From searching the threads it's more expensive and more damage can happen (and not to mention parts missing upon pickup).

One cost I find hard to pinpoint is the cost of port fees. Anyone have experience with the port of Long Beach or Port of Baltimore?

Thanks Mates.

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Should I start another 'shipping thread'? It may get lost to the knowledgeable expo travelers or non cruiser people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998