A tale of two Cummins trucks... What would you do?

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
My vote will be a big surprise but I say 89 all the way. You couldn't pay me to own an FRT (funny round truck) and especially one with a VP44 and too many valves.

If you like rebuilding the front end every 20,000 and replacing VP's every 100,000 and driving an ugly truck go for the 99. But if you want reliability, the ability to rebuild or fix something on the on the road, and driving somthing with style go with the 1stgen. It doesn't cost much to upgrade stuff on the 89 if you think outside the box, your cheap, and have some mechanical and fab skills.

I got 417,000 miles on my old 90, yes I have upgraded some things but Its never had the front end, transfercase, or short block messed with other than general maintenence. And the last 170,000 miles havn't been easy miles either, I beat the snot out of it on pretty much a daily basis with a pretty tuned up motor and its never left wondering if my Justins were gonna get me the rest of the way to town.

This is a common site for me in the summer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Zj_neXYbU&feature=channel_video_title

and in the winter
whoops003.jpg

So yep go with the 89

m715

Well I've been slowly looking at getting a Dodge Diesel again and have been looking at similar trucks, although I will probably keep it to a 12v unless its a really good deal on a 24v. Being from NY I hate rust and would go with the truck with the least rust. I have seen several 2nd gen dodges with rust right through their frames in trapped places. Sounds like both have had good maintenance...I would take a higher mile well maintained cummins over a lower mileage unknown.

My vote would be for the 1st gen, very simple solid platform that can get good fuel mileage and parts are easy to find...

lstzephyr

wanderer
Hmm would be a lot cooler if it was an IDI :snorkel: lol j/k

MORE PICS! :Wow1:

Traitor! Haha jk as well, I actually found myself looking at Idi vans on craigslist the other day. That is a good motor, and I would love to have on in a van.

Truck looks good redthies! Looks like it has springs up front already, any other mods? If it doesn't have one a 366 spring improves the driveability an amazing amount. It takes it from driving like an old dumptruck to a new dumptruck!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I am going to go drive the "pretty" blue one tomorrow. I hope it is well put together, as it has a 6" (maybe 4") lift done by the owner before this one. Current owner has only had it 6 months or so and is selling it because he lost his license for DUI. The guy before him was an EMT / Paramedic so I would wager he did things properly as most people in that line of work are fussier about clean safe vehicles and have the cash to keep them up. It does have some rust along the top of the front windshield in the usual spot. If it is too much, I'll pass.
The less pretty one is too far to go in a day. The owner might bring it half way one day soon. I'm pretty keen on Gen 1s now after seeing the beauty of the nice blue one. I also ran into a fellow with a nicely done up '92 at the auto parts store. He was a wealth of info. Poor guy, his truck was an auto:(
I'll post an update after the big test drive! Keep your fingers crossed it isn't crap!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I am going to go drive the "pretty" blue one tomorrow. I hope it is well put together... Keep your fingers crossed it isn't crap!

Well, you didn't cross your fingers did you? What a let down! It looked good as I drove onto the farm, but within 10 seconds I knew I wasn't buying it. The drivers door would not even stay closed. It wouldn't start, paint peeling everywhere, loose sloppy drive train, a straight pipe that had been cut at the front springs on a 45* angle, and the another 45* angle to dump it right under the passenger door, and the 90% tires were 30-40% at best. Once they got it started it ran ok, so I took it for a drive just to have a comparison for other ones. It actually drove alright. I am fine with the ride and power. No governor spring done in this one so I can see where the improvement would come. The seller wanted $7k and instead of telling him it was worth maybe $3500, I asked his bottom line...$6000. I said "good luck" and moved on.

All in all, not a total waste of time. Just an education and reinforcement of what I already knew... Buy the stock mechanic owned unit:)

cwsqbm

Explorer
I'd go with the '99, but that's because I really miss my '98. I still kick myself for selling it. I like the '98 and new interior, and really came to like the quad cab. I wouldn't have an extended cab truck without the rear doors again. Its nice to have a locked (and mostly out of sight) storage while still having a bed free to haul things.

lstzephyr

wanderer
Yeah thats too bad. I thought when you posted the pic you had already bought it.

My truck was in slightly better shape than that, but still had some issues and was 4k. I'd say that truck was worth 2k. Not starting is not good.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My truck was in slightly better shape than that, but still had some issues and was 4k. I'd say that truck was worth 2k. Not starting is not good.

Not starting is "good" humor! Up here $3-4k is what you expect to pay for a decent 1st gen reg cab. Club cabs run $5k and up. I talked to the owner of the 89 again for a while yesterday and get a good vibe. My oldest sisters kid lives in the same town so I will get him to go look at it. He has a highly moded 05 Cummins, and runs diesel machines for a living so he should be able to spot a turd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger