A Trip To Nowhere and Everywhere

crosbike

No checks. Sorry.

We made it to Calais, Maine and I am sitting in the Visitor's Center looking across the river at Canada. Today was an uneventful day, mostly just driving slowly along Route 9, enjoying the scenery. We'll cross the border early tomorrow morning and continue north (assuming they let us in).

I loved driving route 9. Such a fun road and extremely scenic. I love seeing the tractor up on a post 15' in the air haha. Keep the updates coming.

We crossed the border into Canada yesterday morning. After a brief stop at the gate where I was asked several questions regarding my trip, I was asked to pull over and go inside for further questioning. They seem to be a bit perplexed since I didn't know exactly where I was going, nor for how long. Inside the questions became much more intense, but no big deal. They decided to do a background check on me and after a short wait, it came back clean. Then they decided that they wanted to search my vehicles. One guard hit the truck and one hit the camper. After about (15) minutes, they were done and I was good to go. I left with a handshake and a "have a safe trip".

Regarding Yukon (my dog), they never asked for any paperwork. I had her rabies certificate, plus I had also got an international travel health permit.

Once leaving the border post, we only made it about (50) miles and I decided to leave Route 1 (the main north south route). We took a side road that led us to the ocean and our campsite for the night. We found a nice spot along the ocean. Check out these pictures and you'll see why we went no further.

012.JPG

009.JPG

016.JPG

014.JPG

We spent the day relaxing with a good book, walking along the rocky beach, and of course, Yukon got in her swims in the ocean.

004.JPG

We left our site this morning and arrived in St. John where I was able to land a nice hot shower at the local YMCA. I met (2) gals in there that were quite interesting. I think I could have spent the remainder of the day with them, and more had I had the opportunity. I hope I meet more people like them on this trip. If either of you read this, thanks.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Welcome to my country! I hope you like it.

Let me know if you pass near quebec city and i will give you some pointers where to camp for free. You can go on some of our family properties.

SJgal89

No, thanks to you Jerry! It was a pleasure to have had the opportunity to meet you! I wish you and Yukon all the best in your travels, I hope that this trip is everything you expect it to be and more!

Thanks for giving us the info to get to your thread!! :)
Sincerly,
Britt

Yes, I am enjoying eastern Canada. I find the people here to be very friendly and laid back, and of course the scenery is outstanding. Thanks for the invite.

Yesterday was much like most days lately it seems...........I didn't feel like driving. We only made it to Sussex, New Brunswick and called it a day. We spent the evening walking through town. The weather continues to be near perfect. I'm told that (3) or (4) years ago the town decided to paint murals on the sides of many of the buildings which made for an interesting evening walk. Both of my sons are excellent artists, so I decided to take lots of photos to share with them (and a few with the readers here).

014.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

011.JPG

So far today we've made it Moncton, New Brunswick, and have stopped in town for a coffee. Of course I have no idea where we'll stop for the night, but our destination is Prince Edward Island for now.

Hi Britt !

Crosbike...........Route 9 was beautiful. And I was told not to take it since it was boring. Each to his own for sure...............

Last edited:

TXJeepers

Best wishes for a fantastic trip!

I am intrigued by the photo on the first page showing the platform that you have your scissor steps attached to so that you can enter the camper from the side with the jeep still attached. I have a very similar setup and need, except it's my wife not my dog that I want to be able to get in and out of the camper without having to unhook my jeep. After double knee replacement, she's just not that eager to scramble up from the towbar!

How is the platform attached to the camper and is it removable or does it fold up against the door when you are travelling? If you have a chance sometime to take a close-up picture of the platform and post it, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the comments people as sometimes you wonder who reads this other than my buddy Ed who's back in Virginia...........

Just wanted to say "Thanks" , this looks like it will be a fun adventure and yes other folks besides your buddy ed are following your adventure. we may not post up, but we do read and follow.
Keep the updates and pics comming...
Subscribed

Safe Travels.....

Last night we made it to Confederation Bridge (this connects New Brunswick to Prince Edward Island). We stayed in the parking lot of the visitor / nature center at the bridge entrance. It was a perfect spot for the evening with several nice trails to hike on, and plenty of water for Yukon to swim in. We spent the last hour of the day sitting on the banks of the water watching the sunset. I took a bunch of photos of the sunset as well as a few of Confederation Bridge. I'll post pictures later as I'm now at the visitor center computer located on Prince Edward Island (we just croosed over). We're headed northwest today as I'm told that this is the remotest part of the island.

I'll also get some pictures of the platform. The original scissor steps connected to the camper by (2) bolts which were welded to a metal bar just below the door. I had a welder recreate the same hookup for the platform, and then below the platform are (3) metal supports. Then I had the same bolts added to the side of the platform and the scissor steps connect to them. It only takes a few minutes to install or remove both the steps and the platform. I take the platform off when I travel, although I'm not certain that it's necessary. I'm chicken to test it, since if it fails, then it's toast, and I'm out $500.

Thanks Maximus.

Sonovanut

Hey Dad! Looks like your trip is going well. I'm hoping you post up some pictures of the seals you were telling me about. Anyway, I'm sure I'll be back on here periodically. Talk to you later. Love,

Dave

jim65wagon

JerryYukon said:
I'm not certain how long this trip will last, nor where we'll be going. There are no deadlines, and there are no destinations

Now this is the kind of trip I can dig! Hope you have a great time and please remember, there are a ton of envious peeps out here just waiting to read and see more! Thanks for posting such a cool trip, and to honor the "What makes a great trip report" thread, I must give you an "Attaboy!":sombrero:

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Keep the updates coming, some of us are stuck indoors far too close to computer screens and co-workers just dreaming about a trip like yours!

I wish I would have caught this thread a few days ago, I could have shot you some pointers about the border - they don't really like people coming across the border with no concrete plans. I've found the US side a bit more harsh about this, but that's likely because I'm a Canadian citizen, the reverse may be true also...
Even if you say something like "I'm takin a month to drive to Alaska, and then back down along the Pacific coat to California" that would have been better to their ears then "I'm driving to western Canada and not sure how long I'll be.
That seems to suggest to them that just might like it up here and stay illegally. Border guards don't really like that idea too much, they're funny like that... lol

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Oh, I'm not sure if you were planning on going into Nova Scotia, but if you happen to wander that way, you might want to head north and check out Cape Breton. The Cabot Trail that circles the peninsula is a beautiful drive, lots of great spots to camp overnight.

Thanks for everyone's interest in this trip. And hey son, glad to see you checking this out. This trip is possible because my son is keeping an eye on my cabin, checking my mail, and whatever may come up. Thanks David !

And now a few pictures before we left New Brunswick:

001.JPG

012.JPG

004.JPG

So, we crossed the bridge and entered Prince Edward Island (P.E.I.). I decided to head straight for North Cape which is the north tip of the island. We took Route 2 which basically bisects the island. The topography was extremely flat and the vegetation was mostly stunted (in my opinion). We arrived at the cape and I knew immediately that I'd made a great decision. I camped out right on the point. I was in a large field and from my camper steps it was literally 20' to a rock cliff, and at the bottom was the gulf. Too awesome !! I could look to the east and see the sun and the full moon rise, and to the west watch them set. And best of all to the north along a rock reef, I could watch a herd (is that what they're called ?) of seals.

017.JPG

029.JPG

040.JPG

In the evening we hiked along a trail which paralleled the rock cliffs. I couldn't wait to get to sleep because I knew in the morning that I was going out in the kayak.

So, the next day we were up and walked the trails once again. Then I decided to leave Yukon in the camper while I communed with the seals. She cried like a baby, so I returned and we went kayaking together, although I didn't take her out to the seals. Once she had her fill, I dropped her off and spent a few hours hanging out with the seals. They have such a neat personality......very inquisitive.

The afternoon was spent at the fishery buying a few lobster for dinner and checking out the lobster boats and the docks. I got an invitation to go out on a boat today but I declined. I'd rather eat it, than catch it. The day ended in a lawn chair watching the boats bring in their haul and drop off to a transfer boat, which then took a huge load of lobsters into the processing plant.

059.JPG

Last night foul weather moved in and it rained quite heavy most of the night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior