A Tundra for my Tacoma? What would you do?

18seeds

Explorer
For a daily driver and a trail vehicle the tacoma is hands down better

The tacoma sucks for towing. I've considered trading it in for a tundra a number of times. My towing is at high altitudes and the power loss is pretty bad with any non turbo engine.

exploreFL

Observer
If it is one or the other... O say go for the Tundra! I just got a 06 double cab and absolutely love it! There is plenty of room for me and the family(wife and one month old!) There is plenty of bed space, I love having the rear window that rolls down, so much air flow! I just went today to Richloam just north of Tampa and cruised some of the trails, yeah it was a little tight in some spots, but nothing I wouldn't take a tundra I just bought a couple weeks ago down! I guess I am a little biased right now because I love my ride!! You do have a nice setup now, so are you willing to start fresh?

valleythunder

I tow an 09 Skeeter all over the country (about 5000 lbs.) Currently in an 08 Tacoma DC/LB 4x4, w/ the wonderful 4.0. I will be trading mine on a new Tundra 5.7...

Rob

Cackalak Han

Explorer
A year ago, I would've said just keep the Taco or maybe trade up to the new Taco. After driving the 4.7 V8 in my LC, I have to say my next truck will be a Tundra. I live at a high elevation and towing through the mountain passes is soooooo much better with the V8 vs. V6.

I will say that if the new Tacoma came with a 4.7L V8 option (like the 4th Gen 4Runners), that would be the ultimate combo for me. But given the current choices, Tundra gets my vote.

Toyotero

Explorer
Why not get an older Ford F150 (or similar) to use as your tow vehicle? Keep your sweet taco.

Ditto.

If it were me, I'd consider keeping the Tacoma and getting a cheap old American V8 truck and use it to haul the trailer when necessary. The best part is that you won't care when the horses chew on the old paint.

zidaro

Explorer
I had a '96 Taco extracab and traded it in for my '10 Crewmax. I do NOT regret it in any way. the 5.7 is TITS -and i just returned from a 650 mile trip, averaged 17.5 mpg at 75mph and some city. It'll get 21mpg if i could drive gentle, but thats no fun :)

Last edited:

freeze

Adventurer
would like something capable of towing a horse trailer and car hauler occasionally, but still set up for expedition/off-roading.

How many times a year are you hauling a trailer?

If you have the trailer stuck with you all the time then you may want the Tundra. If it's something you'll be doing max 5 times a year then the Tacoma will do.

If you still want to take it 4WD'ing and have it set up similar to your current Tacoma, you may want to go in the second gen Tacoma as the aftermarket support and parts options is much greater.

Nickkw

I would do a 2005+ Tacoma with a super charger, about the same size as a first Gen Tundra, plus you can get a manual transmission...much better for towing. IMO.
The 4.0 with the supercharger is a beautiful thing, but the manual is a piece of trash. I know of several people that have had their 6-speed replaced in under 30,000 miles. I believe Gadget (guy that runs URD) has gone through 3 of them, granted his truck is used as a test platform for his performance products. The manual has no pilot bearing, what kind of thinking is that toyota?

Youngunner

Adventurer
2nd Gen tacoma? -Probably out of my price range tho. I'm still drawn to the V8...

Another dedicated towing truck? -Thought about it a lot actually. I have even considered the idea of just buying a Tundra and keeping the Taco. I already own a 60s muscle car too, so I think that would be too many vehicles.

Maybe I'll just keep the Tacoma, I have some serious work into the truck and I do love it. Underpowered at altitude, so maybe I'll just get the S/C.

RR1

Explorer
I would do a 2005+ Tacoma with a super charger, about the same size as a first Gen Tundra, plus you can get a manual transmission...much better for towing. IMO.
The 4.0 with the supercharger is a beautiful thing, but the manual is a piece of trash. I know of several people that have had their 6-speed replaced in under 30,000 miles. I believe Gadget (guy that runs URD) has gone through 3 of them, granted his truck is used as a test platform for his performance products. The manual has no pilot bearing, what kind of thinking is that toyota?

First I have heard of that, sounds like driver error to me...:smiley_drive:

You abuse anything it is going to break.

Just because a few guys break their transmissions out of thousands and thousands of trucks on the road, doesn't mean that particular transmission is trash. Any time you start modifying and pushing the vehicle beyond its' design limits, yep you are going to break parts.

CAT+Mining+truck+2.bmp

Last edited:

PHXtaco

Adventurer
I already own a 60s muscle car too

heck, there is your solution right there, I bet it has plenty of power for towing... though the trailer hitch probably would not look right...:elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78