A weekend in Northumberland County, Ontario

mortonm

Expedition Leader
This past weekend my brother and I headed out for a weekend of camping relaxation, and most importantly a shake-down trip. We are head into Pennsylvania mountains for 7 days the first week of September.

Our grandfather had a farm outside of Campbellford, Ontario, Canada. When he passed away 10 year ago, most of it was sold off including the farmhouse and the barns etc, but we kept a tract of land just a few miles down the road. It was my great-grand fathers. It consists of a few fields and some wooded areas, part of it was used as a gravel pit in the 50s and 60s but has long since grown over.

I recently lifted my Xterra about an inch, with some extra load holding capacity, so this was a chance for us to take a trip a few hours down the freeway and test how it would hold all our gear for the trip on and off-road. We didn't get much off-roading done, just some field driving but there are a couple of steep hills and a little bit of off camber track back into the property.

We headed out mid day Friday and grabbed some provisions and set-up our tents. we were graced with a beautiful sunset over the hills.

Arrived on site, tested out the new shovel mount for the drive, held up great. A couple of u-bolts and a two electrical grounding clamps, that thing wont come off.

Here are a couple pictures of the track back in there.

Here are a couple of beautiful horses on the property just the other side of the lane-way on the way in

Here is my brothers dog, he is a german shepherd/aussie shepherd mix

As we were cooking dinner (gourmet weiners and beans :ylsmoke:) a nice float plane came in over head, there are a lot of lakes in this part of Ontario.

Nice sunset

The next morning we woke up and headed out to the Campbellford fair, they had a little 4x4 course setup with a few local trucks, jeeps and buggys brought in. Show lasted about 2 hours, they had a balance beam, RTI ramp, some rocks, a culvert obstacle and two mud pits. I forgot to take too many pictures but I did get a couple of a sweet old willys on 44s and a jeep buggy demonstrated what happens when you dont listen to the pucker factor.

It was really nice, too bad I didnt get any shots before it hit the mud pit.

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
On the way back we stopped a local brewery, one that we had been wanting to try for quite awhile. It is called Church Key Brewing company and it is setup in an old church. They make mostly craft ales.

I got the White IPA, made with wheat and a few other craft hops, it was glorious, biggest mistake of the weekend was not getting more.

We also had a nice selection of Mill Street Organic Beer, its from a Brewery based in Toronto, on you guessed it, Mill Street. Their organic is one of my favorite, nice light and crisp, perfect for a long day in the sun.

In the church key parking lot we ran into a guy with an awesome 97 4runner, so we stopped and talked to him for about half an hour, I dont want to mention what he paid for it but it makes me cry. It has 422,000 km on it (250,000 miles) and looks like it has 100,000 km on it. Even the engine bay was spectacular.

The real interest for me was in the bumper winch, something I want to do this winter. It is a 12,500 runva and comes complete with a synthetic line and a wireless controller, I will probably end up with their 11,000 lb version.

Pretty clean

That night for dinner we had Italian sausages cooked over the fire in a spicy tomato sauce pasta, no complaints here!

Some more great sunset shots from that night:

(and the xterras came on down from heaven)

That night we had a couple run ins with a black bear, we never saw him but we could hear him snorting just the other side of the fence in the trees, thankfully no issues otherwise.

The last morning we goofed around a little bit on the hills and fields, here are a few more pics

All in all, a great weekend, great weather, great food and great beer.

We are all locked and loaded and ready for Pennsylvania, There will be a longer thread forthcoming in a month!

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nice pics and write up, glad to hear everything on the truck worked out. Can't wait for the Pennsilvania trip report.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
nice trip report. Love the farm shots. I'm going to have to find a white ipa, out here in the pnw/AK the black ipa's are popular and good.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Nice pics and write up, glad to hear everything on the truck worked out. Can't wait for the Pennsilvania trip report.

nice trip report. Love the farm shots. I'm going to have to find a white ipa, out here in the pnw/AK the black ipa's are popular and good.

Thanks guys

I am more of a lager/pilsner guy myself but you have to branch out and try new things. It was a traditional smooth wheat beer but the hops were still there in your face like a regular IPA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998