A.Wilson013's 1999 4Runner

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
The main focus of my build was to maintain a stock feeling on the road, able to cruise on the freeway comfortably, with the ability to take me anywhere I want to go. My wife and I live a pretty active lifestyle so being able to head into the mountains without worry is a big deal for me. I am VERY happy with my current setup and have been daily driving it for about 4-5 years now.

DSC_0041 by awilson013, on Flickr

DSC_0008 by awilson013, on Flickr

DSC_0010 by awilson013, on Flickr

1999 4Runner SR5 Sport "Highlander"-

Engine:

3.4L 5VZ-FE
2nd Gen TRD SC
2.2" URD Pulley
URD 7th Injector
AFE Filter
Deckplate/ISR/Elbow Mod
TRD Exhaust (Custom from muffler back)
B&M 70268 Trans Cooler

Suspension:
Front-
ICON Vehicle Dynamics Extended Travel Coilovers w/ Remote Reservoir & CDC Valving
ICON Vehicle Dynamics Uniball UCA's
ToyTec Diff Drop

Rear-
ICON Vehicle Dynamics 2.5" shocks w/ Remote Reservoir & CDC Valving
OME 861's
"Custom" Energy Suspension Swaybar Endlinks
ToyTec Panhard Drop Bracket

Armor/Recovery:
CBI Offroad Front Hybrid Bumper
CBI Offroad Rear Hybrid w/ Swingout & Camp Table
4xInnovations Sliders w/ Kickout
Full Savage Skids
TJM Stealth 9k Winch
TJM OX Recovery Jack
Snatch block, straps, shackles, etc...

Wheels/Tires/Brakes:
17" Split Spoke Tunda/Sequoia Wheels (Painted Black)
285/70/17 Duratracs
1.25" Spidertrax Spacers
199 Tunda Brakes w/ OEM Pads/Rotors

Lighting:
FXR 3.0 Projector Retrofit
IPF 968 w/ 100w Bulbs
01-02 clear tail lights
LEDs wherever possible.

Interior:
Limited Leather/Power Seats
Eclipse AVN 5435
Infinity Kappa's
Infinity Basslink
AEM UEGO, Boost, and Trans Temp Gauges in Lotek Gauge Pod
Scangauge II
Custom Storage/Sleeping Platform

Communications:
Cobra 75 WX ST Remote Mount CB Radio
4' "Twist to Tune" Firestik Antenna
ODL "Drifter" CB Antenna Mount

Last edited:

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
Wow, it has been nearly a year since I posted here. It's been a good year full of a LOT of trips with my family and friends. The 4Runner continues to serve me well, and has seen some changes since this thread started.

First:
I got a roof top tent and 79" awning from Bobby @ CVT. He's been a pleasure to deal with- I try to swing by whenever I am in Bend.

DSC_0003 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

Second:
I replaced a good bit of my suspension. I went with the ICON Stage 5 and I am in love. The CDC Valving makes it SO easy to adapt the suspension to the terrain/load. I was worried it'd be more of a gimmick, but it proved me wrong VERY quickly.

DSC_0028 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

Third:
I was rear ended on the freeway and sustained very minor damage to my CBI rear bumper. The body shop quoted me well over $4000 to repair/replace, so my insurance cut me a check. I purchased a new CBI Hybrid rear, but this time I get the table option. Sold the old bumper to a friend for dirt cheap and it mounted up with no issues at all. I think it just shifted a bit on impact, and wasn't actually damaged at all.

DSC_0030 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

I think that's about it... I have just been cruising the PNW and enjoying life. Getting out whenever possible.

DSC_0059 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
(There's my old CBI bumper getting put to use)
DSC_0019 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0104 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0067 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0028 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0007 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0053 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0108 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0106 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
Well, I haven't been too busy with the ol' 4Runner.

However, I did have a rack built last week after lusting over a few on the 4Runner forum I decided to draw one up at about 2AM on Tuesday Morning. I contacted a few fabricators/welders on craigslist and met with one on Wednesday morning, steel in hand.

I am VERY pleased with how the whole process went and HIGHLY recommend my new friend Nate Rodriguez at NR Fabrication for anyone who needs fab work around Seattle. He's located in Monroe, just across from the High School.

Anyway, I sent Nate what I had drawn, and he whipped it up in just over 1 day. Now it's at the powdercoater's and I am chomping at the bit waiting for it to be on my roof.

Here are some pictures I took along the way...

Early in the process... Corners bent, and tacking the frame together...
DSC_0214 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

Measure, measure, weld, weld. Putting the cross bars in...
DSC_0224 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0223 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

Last cross bar getting zipped on...
DSC_0229 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

In this step we were using different sized pieces of flat stock on the factory rails to figure how tall to make the legs in order to clear the roof, but sit as low as possible. 3/4" was he winning number.
DSC_0234 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

I didn't take any pictures while he made the legs, but that's where we called it a night. The next afternoon we met up again and he had ground all of the welds on the surface flat, so my tent will sit perfectly flat on the rack, and it looks MUCH cleaner.
DSC_0240 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0248 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0250 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

Then it came time to work on the front "feet".
I wasn't sure how to design these so I looked to BigFishAllDay's rack on T4R and used some of his points.
1- The rain channel should still function
2- I don't want to drill any holes, I just want it to sit there and not rattle.

TIG welding the "feet" together. TIG welding allowed for the most room for the rain channel to function without grinding down the MIG welds. And they look sweet.
DSC_0268 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0273 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

With the rack back on top of the 4Runner he tacked the front feet on, and checked fitment. It was perfect.
DSC_0276 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

I had seen a chunk of steel in his scrap bin he had been using to practice plasma cutting. I thought his initials he had been working on looked like a cool logo of sorts, so I invited him to leave his mark on the front feet.
DSC_0283 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0289 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

Once that was done we tossed the rack back on top and pulled out of the shop to take some pictures before sending it off to powdercoat, where it's still residing.
DSC_0310 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0314 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0318 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0319 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr
DSC_0324 by Alex Wilson, on Flickr

As I said before, I am beyond pleased with how this all went and it cost me a FRACTION of what the few bigger shops I called were quoting. You can find more of his work on Instagram under @NR_Fabrication or contact via his cellphone- 425-610-0803

mtnkid85

Adventurer
Rack is looking good. Could you snap a closer picture of the feet and how they attach to the top?

How often are you making adjustments on the Icons using the CDCs? Fairly often or have you "tuned" them to where you like and then left them?

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
Rack is looking good. Could you snap a closer picture of the feet and how they attach to the top?

How often are you making adjustments on the Icons using the CDCs? Fairly often or have you "tuned" them to where you like and then left them?
I will take some pictures of the feet when the rack is back from powdercoating. Essentially it's a 3" x 1.25" x 1/4" piece of flatstock resting on the factory tracks, and a 1/2" tall piece of 1" square tube standing on top of it.

I adjust the CDC Valves whenever I put on or remove my tent, or go offroad. I have figured out where I like them set, for the most post- I just adjust when I add or remove a large amount of weight.

This is my favorite 4Runner--very tasteful modifications and the truck is in beautiful shape.

Thank you =) I am so excited to get the rack back... I think it's really going to complete the look of my 4Runner.

soonenough

Explorer
Wow I never even noticed you had a build here on ExPo! I've been following your build for a long time on T4R, one of the only reasons I venture over there is to check out your 4R :drool:

rickashay

Explorer
Glad you posted up over here Alex. Super bummed we couldn't meet up this weekend but we were admittedly a bit of a gong show; running around Portland taking in the sights and enjoying all the breweries.

Love your 4Runner and truly respect your style. Clean and functional, I love it. Hopefully we can meet up on the trail sometime... you know a trip up to Canada for you American folks right now is a bargain with the exchange rate! haha

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Sweet Frunner! I'll keep an eye out for it on my way through Seattle. We go past at least a half dozen times a year. I'm going to start looking for a 3rd gen 4Runner when I sell my Hilux project. They are great rigs!

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
Wow I never even noticed you had a build here on ExPo! I've been following your build for a long time on T4R, one of the only reasons I venture over there is to check out your 4R :drool:
Thanks a lot! Yeah, I made a thread over here when I started looking at roof top tents. I figured more people in this realm of the interwebs would have better, more real world input. That thread with roof top tent upgrades is AWESOME.

Glad you posted up over here Alex. Super bummed we couldn't meet up this weekend but we were admittedly a bit of a gong show; running around Portland taking in the sights and enjoying all the breweries.

Love your 4Runner and truly respect your style. Clean and functional, I love it. Hopefully we can meet up on the trail sometime... you know a trip up to Canada for you American folks right now is a bargain with the exchange rate! haha
Yeah man, that would have been a good time for sure. Unfortunately I had a ROUGH night on Friday going around to all the bars my parents always told me I should never go. Surprisingly, most of them weren't that bad, and the drinks were cheap! haha

As for the exchange rate... My wife and I took advantage of it a couple weeks ago with a trip to Whistler. What a bargain! =p You should really consider coming down for the Northwest Overland Rally... Talk about a good time.

This build is so sick!! That rear bumper setup is dirty I'd like to get a similar one on my 4runner
Thank you! The rear bumper is from CBI Offroad Fab located in Idaho. The owner, Nathan, is a great guy and puts out a very cool product. My exact model is the "Hybrid" with the tire carrier, camp table, and dual jerry can holder.

Sweet Frunner! I'll keep an eye out for it on my way through Seattle. We go past at least a half dozen times a year. I'm going to start looking for a 3rd gen 4Runner when I sell my Hilux project. They are great rigs!
Thanks, and yes the 4Runner is a great platform even if it's a touch too small. It fits my lifestyle very well, and I think the 3rd gen has looks that are simply timeless. I love it.

Awesome 4Runner. Nice clean upgrades... and no stickers. Love it.
That's awesome that you noticed that I don't have any stickers. I don't think they have any business on a vehicle unless it's just that- business. If someone wants to provide me with free product in exchange for free advertising, I'll slap a few on there. Until then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman