A440 replacement...which way to go?

burnoil

Adventurer
Note: I posted this over on ih8mud, but wanted to see if i could get any feedback over here, too. I had one guy post that he had a used Wholesale Automatic tranny that he might let go, but never responded to my inquiry. So here it is:

I have an 89 FJ62 with 226 thousand miles. It is in really good shape overall. The tranny has about 180K as the PO had it replaced with a used one when the original self-destructed. The current replacement is starting to get weak and I anticipate some slipping soon as it struggles on long uphill drives in 3rd and 4th. Kickdown is adjusted and fluid is kept fresh. Shifts fine around town and is solid for the most part.

I want to rebuild/replace the tranny and see 2 (3) options so far:

1. Extreme tranny from Wholesale Auto in Australia. Horribly expensive, but highly respected and bulletproof.

2. Rebuilt stock tranny from Atlanta Custom Creations. Haven't heard of their reputation with these. Any feedback on these units?

3. Hack her up and install a manual conversion, but my first choices are to stick with the auto so this is a distant 3rd choice.

Thanks for any feedback!
Todd

lt1fire

Adventurer
Not sure what you want to end up doing with it. I'd say the extreme but if it is just a light wheeler DD go with the ACC one.

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
Note: I posted this over on ih8mud, but wanted to see if i could get any feedback over here, too. I had one guy post that he had a used Wholesale Automatic tranny that he might let go, but never responded to my inquiry. So here it is:

I have an 89 FJ62 with 226 thousand miles. It is in really good shape overall. The tranny has about 180K as the PO had it replaced with a used one when the original self-destructed. The current replacement is starting to get weak and I anticipate some slipping soon as it struggles on long uphill drives in 3rd and 4th. Kickdown is adjusted and fluid is kept fresh. Shifts fine around town and is solid for the most part.

I want to rebuild/replace the tranny and see 2 (3) options so far:

1. Extreme tranny from Wholesale Auto in Australia. Horribly expensive, but highly respected and bulletproof.

2. Rebuilt stock tranny from Atlanta Custom Creations. Haven't heard of their reputation with these. Any feedback on these units?

3. Hack her up and install a manual conversion, but my first choices are to stick with the auto so this is a distant 3rd choice.

Thanks for any feedback!
Todd

ACC is a very good shop. Mike and Brian are great to deal with (dealt with them several times), fabulous customer service and great work. Toyota sent me a defective part (cv axle boot had very small cut in it), neither me nor ACC saw it. After a day of driving the boot was completely empty and the grease sprayed everywhere. I called ACC and they fixed it next day (on there day off and came in early).

I live about 20 minutes from them, my 100 goes there for service.

burnoil

Adventurer
It is a light off roader, so nothing extreme. I think I will be giving the guys at ACC a call.

I don't have anyone local I would trust with the A440 rebuild. The general consensus is that the A440 is tough to rebuild for a "vanilla" tranny shop and most botch the job.

Thanks for the replies!
Todd

lt1fire

Adventurer
Hmmm you have Man-a-fre
Spector offroad
TLC
and K&H imports are all very close to you

I would trust any of them with that rebuild.

Call Richard at K & H Import Repair in Canoga Park. (818)594-0088

He is one of the nicest people I ever met in person and was the first person recommended to me when I bought the cruiser. It was nice drive up there and seeing 8 cruisers parked out front. :ylsmoke:

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
I have a 89 that I just installed a H55F into. Easiest conversion ever with all Toyota parts. The extent of the holes is three into the firewall (already marked) for the clutch master cylinder and weld the tranmission mounts to the frame. It is as clean and as OEM a conversion as one could ask for.

ginericLC

Adventurer
Hmmm you have Man-a-fre
Spector offroad
TLC
and K&H imports are all very close to you

I would trust any of them with that rebuild.

I wouldn't and not because of the lack of knowledge of Land Cruisers. These transmissions seldom fail. They don't rebuild a lot of them. I'm not sure SOR or MAF ever rebuild them. I'd rather go to a transmission specialty shop (not an AAMCO or chain store) but a shop that rebuilds transmissions for medium duty trucks. Nissan and Isuzu and Hino too all use a similar transmission and I'm sure there are people who work in the medium duty industry that would have better experience with this.

burnoil

Adventurer
Interesting info posted here...

I may entertain an H55 conversion still, but want to see what my options and $$$ would be for a rebuild of the A440. I'll give K&H a call today to see what they say. Thanks for the tip.

burnoil

Adventurer
Looks like K&H refers their LC auto tranny biz over to Leon's in Reseda who also does all the work for TLC. I called Mark over there and he was very helpful. I'm going to haul my 62 over there and have them look at it.

BCcamp

Observer
We rebuilt the A440 in our FJ62 almost a year ago and are very pleased with the results. TLC did all the work including rebuilt trans, torque converter, transfer case, and driveshafts. Considered the other two options, but wanted to keep the truck original (ruling out the H55 conversion) and not worry about readily available parts and service if something were to go wrong again (ruling out the Extreme).

These trucks will never be speedsters, but the A440 rebuild in ours resulted in a substantial improvement in performance. I believe a strong 3FE combined with a freshened A440 is a good combination.

burnoil

Adventurer
I agree that the 3FE and A440 are good units. I also want to keep mine as stock as I can, but I didn't rule out the H55 completely. After thinking and the posts here coupled with the reputation of Leon's Transmissions rebuild, I think I have a direction. I'll have my 62 over there in a week or so and will see.

We rebuilt the A440 in our FJ62 almost a year ago and are very pleased with the results. TLC did all the work including rebuilt trans, torque converter, transfer case, and driveshafts. Considered the other two options, but wanted to keep the truck original (ruling out the H55 conversion) and not worry about readily available parts and service if something were to go wrong again (ruling out the Extreme).

These trucks will never be speedsters, but the A440 rebuild in ours resulted in a substantial improvement in performance. I believe a strong 3FE combined with a freshened A440 is a good combination.

mmuthart

Observer
Consider Wholesale Automatics Extreme Valve Body for the A440F. I have one along with their torque converter. The 3rd gear lock-up that the valve body will give you significantly improves the highway driving experience and greatly reduces transmission temps.

burnoil

Adventurer
On my radar, but those are some very expensive bits. I'm not ruling them out, but I just need a reliable light off-roader for now. My tranny is my weak link on this rig.

Consider Wholesale Automatics Extreme Valve Body for the A440F. I have one along with their torque converter. The 3rd gear lock-up that the valve body will give you significantly improves the highway driving experience and greatly reduces transmission temps.

umpqua

Observer
The H55 is the best mod that I have done to my '88 fj62. The auto burned out at around 220k and I've now put around 20K or so on the H55. The auto should have never been installed in this cruiser in the first place. I now get better gas mileage and it has power even going up a grade. I'm actually passing people which believe me is a first. The manual was installed by my mechanic in Portland and looks like it is original. It is not hacked together in any way. You are going to spend money regardless and you will be a LOT better off with the manual. My opinon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998