Abandoned/derelict sites

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Dipping back into this thread...there's a special category of "abandoned places" and that would be places that we were familiar with when they were busy, bustling and full of people and have since been abandoned.
Those of us who've been in the military probably experience that more than almost anyone else. Military camps and bases are opened, used, and then closed pretty frequently.
Lately I've been doing some "google earthing" particularly using Street View (which may be the internet's greatest distraction that's not pRon) and took some screen shots of Taszar Airbase in Hungary. Reading up a little bit I see that the US withdrew their last forces from Taszar in 2004 and some time in 2008 or 2009 the Hungarian government was trying to find a buyer for the facility.
As eerie as "ordinary" abandoned places are, that eerie factor is doubled or tripled when it's a place that we know from our own memory and can easily imagine full of people, vehicles, noise, and action. Seeing the streets that were swept by traffic and marching boots now cracked and empty with grass growing in the middle feels odd. Not "sad" exactly - after all, the closing of a military base because the war is over ought to be a good thing - but melancholy, I guess, perhaps because it reminds us of the passing of time and the fact that one day we, too, will just be a memory.
Anyway, here's the main gate of Taszar airfield. I wish I had some pictures of the gate when I was there. I may have some somewhere but this was in 1997-98, the era before digital cameras and I wasn't as promiscuous about using film as I am about snapping digital photos. I can't even count the number of times I rolled through this gate between October of 1997 and April of 1998.
taszar.jpg

t-rex grrr

Adventurer
H3p4DjD.png

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Dipping back into this thread...there's a special category of "abandoned places" and that would be places that we were familiar with when they were busy, bustling and full of people and have since been abandoned.
Those of us who've been in the military probably experience that more than almost anyone else. Military camps and bases are opened, used, and then closed pretty frequently.
Lately I've been doing some "google earthing" particularly using Street View (which may be the internet's greatest distraction that's not pRon) and took some screen shots of Taszar Airbase in Hungary. Reading up a little bit I see that the US withdrew their last forces from Taszar in 2004 and some time in 2008 or 2009 the Hungarian government was trying to find a buyer for the facility.
As eerie as "ordinary" abandoned places are, that eerie factor is doubled or tripled when it's a place that we know from our own memory and can easily imagine full of people, vehicles, noise, and action. Seeing the streets that were swept by traffic and marching boots now cracked and empty with grass growing in the middle feels odd. Not "sad" exactly - after all, the closing of a military base because the war is over ought to be a good thing - but melancholy, I guess, perhaps because it reminds us of the passing of time and the fact that one day we, too, will just be a memory.
Anyway, here's the main gate of Taszar airfield. I wish I had some pictures of the gate when I was there. I may have some somewhere but this was in 1997-98, the era before digital cameras and I wasn't as promiscuous about using film as I am about snapping digital photos. I can't even count the number of times I rolled through this gate between October of 1997 and April of 1998.
View attachment 289697
If I could be paid to be on Google Earth!! I make a trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula at least once a week on there.

BADDANDY

Adventurer

I brought out 2 MQ Predators from there in our C-141 around the time frame you were there.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
Picher, OK

This site doesn't have a lot to look at, and I took these pictures from the roads. But it is an intriguing place. My wife and I like to travel Rt 66 and explore abandoned places. We often go to NE OK and SE Kansas (since it's a couple of hours west of here). Last year we stopped at a place in Commerce, OK called 'Dairy King'. It is an old Standard station from the 1920s that's been a drive-in for years.

DSC_0758_smaller_zpspwmpw5ia.jpg

We stopped in and had the best cheeseburger in the world, by the way, for $1.45 each (but knowing what I do now, I'm not sure I'd buy another one!). An old lady cooks and her son (in his 40s) runs the register and entertains the travelers. Anyway, he brings out these photocopies of newspaper clippings about Bonnie and Clyde, Pretty Boy Floyd, Ma Barker's boys, and tells us the stories. Apparently, in the 20s and 30s if you could make it across a state line you were often good to go, so the tri-state area was popular because they could rob a bank in Missouri or Kansas and head back to Picher (which is just south of the KS/OK line, and about 10 or 15 miles from Missouri) or Commerce. This was also a big mining area - lead and zinc, apparently at one time the major producers in the US (until the mines were all worked out). His grandfather had been a miner and he brings out a chunk of lead ore about the size of a softball. He shows us copies of letters Harry Truman wrote to his wife while he lived in the hotel in Commerce (which was across from the Dairy King but is long gone) for 6 months after buying a lead mine in 1916 (that apparently didn't pan out).

Anyway, the guy tells us about how Picher, OK, about 4 miles north, was the 'going place' back then. So on this trip we turned north up old US 69 when we got to Commerce to see Picher. As we came up the road we could see the large mounds of what looked like gravel. I assumed the mounds were gravel pits but everything looked abandoned. We passed an empty church on the right and just after that I saw the first sign and knew immediately what had happened. My wife googled it on her phone and confirmed it.

DSC_2294_zpsomg8goeb.jpg

The wiki article tells the story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picher,_Oklahoma

Here's another, that's even more depressing. http://picherok.com/

In a nutshell subsurface mining undermined the town structurally and cave-ins were a danger (apparently the place is one big sinkhole waiting to happen, and dozens have opened up over the years - one a few decades ago swallowed up several houses). The chat piles contain heavy metals (lead, zinc, cadmium) that got into groundwater and the dust blows across the town. Apparently people used the chat for covering driveways, parking lots, playgrounds, and kids played on the mounds. Some of these chat piles are 200-300 feet tall. The article says a 1996 study found that 34% of the town's children had lead poisoning. The federal government bought out the whole place and evacuated everyone. The last remaining residents were gone by 2014, except one who refused to leave. He ran a pharmacy (the building is still there and looks occupied) but he died June 9, 2015 (a month ago). According to one website, there are 14,000 abandoned mine shafts and 70 million tons of chat. The EPA once called it the most toxic place in the US, too big to clean up so they just bought it all and abandoned it (though apparently they have some kind of 'remediation plan'). I should add that it was declared a superfund site in 1983 and it was 2009 before the feds finally agreed to buy out the homeowners (after LOTS of politics) and give this 'pristine' land back to the Quapaw Indians (it makes up almost their whole allotment of tribal land, and the BIA had 'managed' it for them, giving them almost nothing for the mining leases). This is the 'Tar Creek Superfund Site'.

It was interesting, eerie, and sad at the same time. I like ghost towns but there was something about it being so recent, and the circumstances, that made me a little depressed (okay, quite a little bit). The thing that gave life to the town eventually killed it (and who knows how many residents over the years).

DSC_2318_zpsuopjiysh.jpg

DSC_2314_zpswfraglrd.jpg

DSC_2278_zpstjqige7e.jpg

DSC_2291_zpsiipmwmnn.jpg

DSC_2276_zpseul9fgnm.jpg

DSC_2322_zpsfvi4gvbl.jpg

DSC_2289_zpsazkpcamw.jpg

Last edited:

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Neat pics 98ozarksrunner. Just watched a bit on Netflix the other week about picher OK, was interesting.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Thanks, I added "tar creek" to my watch list.

The other one I watched was "forgotten planet", the episode was pripyat/picher.

Last edited:

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
There used to be a documentary on Netflix when I had it several years ago about UEers. They went into the Paris Catacombs and a few other places but one I remember was a couple guys rode their bikes out on Alligator Alley to chek out an old missile silo. Not sure if it is on there any more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998