About to pull the trigger on an Xpedition voyager, any real competition I’m missing?

JCDriller

Adventurer
We’ve been running a Turtleback since 2017, but our family is expanding from 4-5 soon with a 6 in the possible future. We’ve simply outgrown “Toby the Turtleback”.

We were set on a Kimberly Karavan, but recently the xpedition trailers voyager has caught our eye. It seems to be next level quality and offers everything we need. Mostly sleeping for up to 3 kids and a us, love that a baby can be at our feet too. Great kitchen, heating, limited cooling, great footprint, kitchen isn’t drivers side and that passthrough into the bush company tent is over the top.

Biggest difference for us is the Voyager sleeps more kids comfortably, but has no inside shower. My wife really wanted that but for the price difference seems happy with the voyager.

Is there anything else at this level? Fully loaded we are looking at around 80k, not cheap but within our budget.

Will be towing with my old trusty 5th gen 4runner w/ 4.88s. Can’t go to big.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I would say the Kimberley is to heavy anyway.
I would not go more then 4,500 pounds gwr especially if you live in the west. Have you pulled a trailer with your 4runner?

So 80k wow that must be with every option they offer. Can't find the gwr on thier website. If you have it optioned out with tents and awnings what is the cargo capacity for all your gear and full water tanks?

The following stad ups are all to heavy :

Boreas eos12
Arkto G12
Xplore
Pause

Have you looked at Wombat?

Maybe one of those AORs at xgrid?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Get a Jumping Jack, 3 kids on a queens bunk, parents in the other queen bunk and the baby next to mom, on the floor, in a bassinette. Don't put babies in bed with sleeping adults!

JCDriller

Adventurer
I would say the Kimberley is to heavy anyway.
I would not go more then 4,500 pounds gwr especially if you live in the west. Have you pulled a trailer with your 4runner?

So 80k wow that must be with every option they offer. Can't find the gwr on thier website. If you have it optioned out with tents and awnings what is the cargo capacity for all your gear and full water tanks?

The following stad ups are all to heavy :

Boreas eos12
Arkto G12
Xplore
Pause

Have you looked at Wombat?

Maybe one of those AORs at xgrid?

I’ve towed my Turtleback a lot, several multi week trips and a ton of long weekends. The 4.88 help alot. I’ll probably move on to the new GX550 when it becomes more readily available and I can build it how I want. The GX market will have to catch up. My 4r is already there so I’ll start this journey with it.

The little things really add up. Bush co tent and dual awnings are the biggest things heck combined they are 14k of the price. Of course this Includes mounting the tent and the all important pass through.

I’m not sure I’ll do a zero breeze system, I need to do my research there. It feels ghemicky, but man an AC would be nice sometimes.

That wombat is nice, but it’s the same price and has a lot of wood.

Get a Jumping Jack, 3 kids on a queens bunk, parents in the other queen bunk and the baby next to mom, on the floor, in a bassinette. Don't put babies in bed with sleeping adults!

I’ve had trailers like a JJ, I have no interest in that kind of set up time. I want fast and efficient, something to sleep 2 adults and 3 kids.
The JJ isn’t a bad option, just not for us.

Also the Baby won’t be in bed with us, they have a crib that runs E-W above our feet In the main cabin. Older kids sleep above in the queen size bush co tent. With a safety net below the pass through. The trailer has a vent that can be installed to heat the bush co term of the pass through is closed.

We’ve been running a Turtleback since 2017, but our family is expanding from 4-5 soon with a 6 in the possible future. We’ve simply outgrown “Toby the Turtleback”.

We were set on a Kimberly Karavan, but recently the xpedition trailers voyager has caught our eye. It seems to be next level quality and offers everything we need. Mostly sleeping for up to 3 kids and a us, love that a baby can be at our feet too. Great kitchen, heating, limited cooling, great footprint, kitchen isn’t drivers side and that passthrough into the bush company tent is over the top.

Biggest difference for us is the Voyager sleeps more kids comfortably, but has no inside shower. My wife really wanted that but for the price difference seems happy with the voyager.

Is there anything else at this level? Fully loaded we are looking at around 80k, not cheap but within our budget.

Will be towing with my old trusty 5th gen 4runner w/ 4.88s. Can’t go to big.

Sorry I missed the Turtleback statement. Is the suspension important to you. My trailer has timbren HD 3500 which I good enough for me. Most other off road suspension do add a bit more weight. Do you like the Expidition Vouger custom suspension?

I’ve towed my Turtleback a lot, several multi week trips and a ton of long weekends. The 4.88 help alot. I’ll probably move on to the new GX550 when it becomes more readily available and I can build it how I want. The GX market will have to catch up. My 4r is already there so I’ll start this journey with it.

The little things really add up. Bush co tent and dual awnings are the biggest things heck combined they are 14k of the price. Of course this Includes mounting the tent and the all important pass through.

I’m not sure I’ll do a zero breeze system, I need to do my research there. It feels ghemicky, but man an AC would be nice sometimes.

That wombat is nice, but it’s the same price and has a lot of wood.

I’ve had trailers like a JJ, I have no interest in that kind of set up time. I want fast and efficient, something to sleep 2 adults and 3 kids.
The JJ isn’t a bad option, just not for us.

Also the Baby won’t be in bed with us, they have a crib that runs E-W above our feet In the main cabin. Older kids sleep above in the queen size bush co tent. With a safety net below the pass through. The trailer has a vent that can be installed to heat the bush co term of the pass through is closed.

Are you okay in a non stand up like the voyager and doesn't it have a lot of set up timewith awning and side walls?

Awesome on GX plans I was going to suggest that. I have a 2023 gx460.

Would a Trail Marker like mine be off road capable enough for you?

JCDriller

Adventurer
Thanks for the input, we put a deposit down on the Voyger. Its the right size for how the like to use it, close the TB expedition which was awesome for us until we outgrew its sleeping space.

Really looking forward to this new trailer, I’ll get to see one in person at MORE in a couple weeks. Ours should be done May 3rd.

Reactions: GHI

EPO

Thanks for the input, we put a deposit down on the Voyger. Its the right size for how the like to use it, close the TB expedition which was awesome for us until we outgrew its sleeping space.

Really looking forward to this new trailer, I’ll get to see one in person at MORE in a couple weeks. Ours should be done May 3rd.
Curious if you compared it to the Boreas XT and if so, your thoughts?

JCDriller

Adventurer
Curious if you compared it to the Boreas XT and if so, your thoughts?
I did look at it, but it was quickly dismissed. The number one seller was the pass through and the ability to have “hammocks” for our baby. I like the combi heat system and I like that it’s 4 season. The kitchen seems much nicer on the Voyager too. They are both nice trailers but the voyager was a better fit for our growing family.

I do like the D035 hitch on the Boreas XT. At a minimum I’m going to figure out a hand brake on the voyager.

EPO

I did look at it, but it was quickly dismissed. The number one seller was the pass through and the ability to have “hammocks” for our baby. I like the combi heat system and I like that it’s 4 season. The kitchen seems much nicer on the Voyager too. They are both nice trailers but the voyager was a better fit for our growing family.

I do like the D035 hitch on the Boreas XT. At a minimum I’m going to figure out a hand brake on the voyager.
Makes sense. It's a nice looking camper. I think it has a proprietary suspension? If so, who does repairs of it if you are away from the dealer or factory? You buying from Xgrid? Do I recall that there is some way to sit in it as opposed to only being able to lie down?

JCDriller

Adventurer
Makes sense. It's a nice looking camper. I think it has a proprietary suspension? If so, who does repairs of it if you are away from the dealer or factory? You buying from Xgrid? Do I recall that there is some way to sit in it as opposed to only being able to lie down?
I asked this, it’s a standard Dexter spindle-hubs. I suggested they mounted a spindle on the nose box with an idler hub, complete with seals and bearings.

Doubt that’ll happen. I can’t blame them but they aren’t willing to do anything custom. They are focused on getting production up. I’m constantly surrounded by the Good Idea Fairy, she gets me in trouble.

I’ll grab a spindle, bearings, seals, and probably a pair of brakes stick them in a pelican case on the trailer. My wife and a friend were coming over the Rockies in Colorado and had a bearing fail on Sunday of a holiday weekend in our Turtleback. It cost them a couple days to get parts. Lesson learned. Later I found out there are bearings in the tire carrier hinge…. It was a good life experience for her.

Yes you have to buy via Xgrid. I’m working with Jeremy out of TN, he has been top notch. With the time zone difference, I’ve sent him plenty of late texts and he’s always answered or hit me up the next day. So far so good.

We’re going to MORE Expo in a couple weeks to actually see the trailer we’ve put a deposit down one. Assume it’s what I think it’ll be we’re On track for May 3rd pick up.

jaywo

I am taking a look at trailers for similar needs and I would like to know why not pick a TetonX or Boreas EOS 12?

Both allow to fully stand up and have everything you said (insulation, truma combi…)

Also that one:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online