Accidentally bought a Discovery...

tombodad

Adventurer
New to me Disco II!

I have loved Land Rovers, in particular Discoveries since I was but a wee lad. Recently been looking for a cheap runabout/exploring/SAR rig, and think I've found one.

1999 Disco II
SE7
I believe it has every option you could get.. 2 moonroofs, air suspension, ACE, jumpseats, etc. Not that every option on a Rover is a GOOD thing... :Wow1:

180k miles, but complete top end rebuild 25k ago. Water pump 20k ago. (not sure why they didn't do it at the time of the rebuild). Has the servicable front driveshafts.

BRAND NEW Duratracs (5)

Very nice aftermarket stereo

Looks to be (and has records for) a very well-maintained Disco, if a little high on miles. Body is in GREAT shape, there is one fist-sized dent on the rear quarter panel, underneath the taillight, but I think it can be popped out.

Interior is pretty worn, as you may expect given the miles and age. quite a few worn/broken levers, etc. I'll be watching for partouts to hopefully replace some of the more obvious/annoying bits.

Overall... not a bad rig at all. The tires and stereo alone are worth what I paid for the whole thing.

Oh, first step, rid the three amigos. Anyone in SE WA with an ABS Scanner?

5E9A4AAC-2331-4933-A01C-7AD8958D5D8A-7616-000007B37539569E_zps54bef52c.jpg

Donn't mind the grime, he had winter roads.

tombodad

Adventurer
I already am! The interior is a bit rough, but I just found a totalled one in the same color, and I may go pull seats, carpet, switches... all kinds of things. Would make a big difference, and not be terribly expensive, really.

I need to replace the windshield, and I see this one is heated. I assume that turns on with defrost, and works to de-ice the wiper blades? Is it worth paying the extra for heat on a new windshield?

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Congratulations on drinking the Kool-aid! Welcome to the cult!

Looks like you got a pretty decent one. Mine is an SE7 as well, and it has all the options. I love the ACE for on and off road handling, and the SLS comes in so handy for me that I replaced most of the system to keep it working. A lot of people just swap out for coils, but I love my SLS system. You'll find that you get hooked on your Disco pretty quick. I bought mine two years ago and I am an official Land Rover convert. Looks like you've done your research and bought the right one, so this one should last you for a good long time.

As for your heated windshield, I have one in my Disco. It doesn't come on with the defroster, there is a button to operate it. It's in the same pod as the button for the air suspension, HDC, and hazard lights. It's right above the heated rear window button. Press it and the light comes on. It shuts off automatically after something like five minutes. I love the heck out of mine. It's awfully useful in the winter months when the windshield gets iced over or covered in snow. When I go start it, I turn on the heated windshield and by the time I come back out to drive away, it has melted the ice completely and makes the snow come off with one swipe of the wipers. No brushing or scraping necessary.

stonepa

Observer
I already am! The interior is a bit rough, but I just found a totalled one in the same color, and I may go pull seats, carpet, switches... all kinds of things. Would make a big difference, and not be terribly expensive, really.

I need to replace the windshield, and I see this one is heated. I assume that turns on with defrost, and works to de-ice the wiper blades? Is it worth paying the extra for heat on a new windshield?

The heated windshield does more than that - it clears the windshield of frost and ice in no time. It's one of the best options I have ever seen on a vehicle. Love it!

Be very careful with the windshield replacement - in my experience it is tough to get the replacement sealed right. When the heated windshield on my Disco broke it took the replacement guy at the dealership several times (and windshields!) to get it installed with no leaks. At around $800 a piece it was a very expensive education for the dealership (I paid once).

d67u57

Adventurer
what beauty!

even though the engine was replaced not too long ago, please do take it in and have it fully checked.

hopefully they'll catch the little things before they mature :)

good luck with the build man!

tombodad

Adventurer
Hmm.... it seems I don't have a button above the defrost. Maybe I don't actually have the heated windshield? (previous owner said it did). Interesting...

Either way, as nice as that may be, I don't think I can justify to myself a $700+ windshield on a <$3000 vehicle.

I am working on checking through all the mechanicals as I get the time right now. There is a bit of a clunk when turning sharp at slow speeds. Feels like either suspension or differential. Is that common? Something worn/loose?

SLS appears to work great. Raises with the switch, evenly on both sides. Takes maybe 10-15 seconds. Any particular way to care for the system? Oil the compressor or anything? Also, saw on a video that there is a keyfob control to lower for loading/trailer attachment, etc. Is that true? How do I do it?

Every day I love this thing more and more!

PhyrraM

Adventurer
.. Also, saw on a video that there is a keyfob control to lower for loading/trailer attachment, etc. Is that true? How do I do it?

I've seen this on the LR3/Disco 3, but haven't heard about it on a Disco 2. If it works the same, then you need to do a few things.

First, program the third button to the air suspension. Hold the 3rd button down and then hit the air suspension button on the dash/console. Second, with the engine running and all doors closed, turn on the hazard flasher lights. Lastly, hold the third button and press either the lock/unlock buttons to raise/lower the truck.

Daryl

Adventurer
Hmm.... it seems I don't have a button above the defrost. Maybe I don't actually have the heated windshield? (previous owner said it did). Interesting...

A heated windshield is pretty obvious. You can see the vertical wires running through it if you get up close. If it's completely clear with no parallel lines every 1/16" or so it's not heated.

tombodad

Adventurer
I've seen this on the LR3/Disco 3, but haven't heard about it on a Disco 2. If it works the same, then you need to do a few things.

First, program the third button to the air suspension. Hold the 3rd button down and then hit the air suspension button on the dash/console. Second, with the engine running and all doors closed, turn on the hazard flasher lights. Lastly, hold the third button and press either the lock/unlock buttons to raise/lower the truck.

The youtube video here talks about it. Maybe never made it to production? My keyfop only has lock/unlock. I thought maybe there was some combination or holding one or something that you had to do. I suppose I could just read a freakin' manual... :ylsmoke:

A heated windshield is pretty obvious. You can see the vertical wires running through it if you get up close. If it's completely clear with no parallel lines every 1/16" or so it's not heated.

I was wondering how it worked. I think I would've noticed those by now, but I'll check again. Regardless, I don't think it's worth the cash considering the value of the vehicle. Even if it is REALLY cool!

Bought fresh fluids front to back (except oil, was just done) today. Also on the way is a trans filter , and a manifold/y-pipe gasket for the passenger side from Atlantic Rovers, as it has an exhaust leak there. Hoping that solves the SES light.

There are no Rover dealers here... anyone know if a Ford dealer would have the right tool to read my three amigos codes?

Lastly, I have the typical three amigos, but also the green downhill ascent control light is illuminated, no matter if I have the button depressed or not... just a fourth amigo? unrelated?

tombodad

Adventurer
Lo and behold, I DO have the heated windshield.... which begs the question... why no switch? Obviously someone switched out the switch [heh. heh.] at some point.

That makes the replacement windshield decision much more difficult. Definitely need one... worth the extra $600 for heated? Probably not, but man, it's tempting! [maybe I'll wait a bit, get lucky, and find a part car with heated windshield intact?]

baggins

Hi Tombodad, welcome to the disco club. i've got a 2003 model (the face lift version). To answer a couple of questions for you. The heated windscreen could well work off the rear de-mist button. on mine, the heated mirrors certainly do. As for the key fob for lowering the suspension, on the series 2, the fob was an additional one seperate from the main key. it was an extra, available from the dealers. you may still be able to track one down though. i've actually removed the airbags from mine and fitted coils as they are alot more reliable.
hope this helps
oh, make sure you care a spare auxillary drive belt (snake belt) and the right spanners to swap it over, just had my one go (almost new) and felt like a complete idiot as i didn't have a spare (it's only a 5 min job).

tombodad

Adventurer
Thanks, I'm loving it so far!

I'm gonna do some interior work today, I'll run the defrost button and see if the windshield warms up as well. I don't necessarily want the SLS key fob, just wondered if it was a trick with the regular one, or indeed a separate one. Is there a way to lower it with a button inside? I only see the raising button.

I need new shocks anyways, and will likely convert to coils when I do so.

Goodyear Gatorback (awesome belts, if you've never tried one) is coming shortly, and I always make it a practice to keep the old one as a spare. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to convert the whole rear cargo area into spare storage ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998