Accurate Repeater Database

NorCalLC

Adventurer
I'm trying to update some repeaters in my 2M and I'm wondering what site or refferences you guys use to look up currently active repeaters? I've been using RepeaterBook.com and for the most part it seems acurate overall. Even they are asking people to verify and help them update repeaters.

I'm sure that things change once in a while so is there a better site I should be using?

James86004

Expedition Leader
Sort of tangential to this, I wish someone would come out with a handheld which had the entire repeater database pre-loaded into memory, a GPS, and a function which lets you scan only the repeaters within a specified radius of your current position.

Expedition Leader
The ARRL repeater directory is good, and updated every year or every other year. You can get it on CD with software that lets you search within a radius of location or route, and export a table with all the frequencies, offsets and tone codes etc. that will drop right into the programming software for your radio.

xtatik

Explorer
Sort of tangential to this, I wish someone would come out with a handheld which had the entire repeater database pre-loaded into memory, a GPS, and a function which lets you scan only the repeaters within a specified radius of your current position.

An impossible task when you consider repeater frequency (input and output) coordination around the globe. They change too often.
There has never been a truly accurate repeater directory and it's unlikely we'll ever see one. It's just one of the pitfalls to FM and one of those things you have to stay on top of, double-check and reprogram every couple of years as changes are made.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
It would probably be doable for a mobile rig. But it would be more of a SDR application with a GPS interface.
Also many repeaters don't list GPS coordinates
The closest thing you might find to this right now would be the smart scan feature found on some Yaesu radios.

All that said I wonder if there might be a smart phone app that could provide this kind of information. It wouldn't be integrated with the radio but WTH it would be a start.

rambrush

Adventurer
Like posted previously it is pretty hard to keep up with fm repeaters.
Went up on Mount Charleston Nevada a month or so back the pl was supposed to be 100 did not work but could hear the identifier so knew the freq was correct. tried all pl's to no avail. Found out they had switched to a digital pl tone.
Mohave County has been in constant change the usual ones are still up but others are to.
Pretty much have to talk to locals to keep up with em. ARRL is almost outdated by the time it is published.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998